.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old March 13th, 2010, 03:22 PM

Private

MOTW is on a distinguished road
Default Unit (vehicle) upgrades in campaign game

Hello all! First let me say how excited I am to have found this game! Excellent remake of an all-time classic.
I like the new expanded list of swappable vehicle types; tanks can be changed to Gunships or transport Helos, S.-P. artillery types can become a great many things also, but for some reason when something becomes a transport vehicle, it is stuck and won't be able to change in to anything else. Whether truck, wheeled or tracked APCs, scout vehicles or other related items, once they are in that class, it's over. I seem to recall in the original S.P.2 being able to upgrade APCs (sometimes trucks or jeeps) to transport helos. (I've noticed helo classes can become APCs, but then not change back) So my question is this: where might I find a list of what classes can be changed to other classes (if such a list exists)? If not that is there something that can be edited so I would be able to change a wheeled or tracked APC into a helicopter; maybe also change a Scout vehicle or armored car in to a FO vehicle? Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.
Old March 13th, 2010, 03:54 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,871 Times in 1,220 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Unit (vehicle) upgrades in campaign game

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTW View Post
Hello all! First let me say how excited I am to have found this game! Excellent remake of an all-time classic.
I like the new expanded list of swappable vehicle types; tanks can be changed to Gunships or transport Helos, S.-P. artillery types can become a great many things also, but for some reason when something becomes a transport vehicle, it is stuck and won't be able to change in to anything else. Whether truck, wheeled or tracked APCs, scout vehicles or other related items, once they are in that class, it's over. I seem to recall in the original S.P.2 being able to upgrade APCs (sometimes trucks or jeeps) to transport helos. (I've noticed helo classes can become APCs, but then not change back) So my question is this: where might I find a list of what classes can be changed to other classes (if such a list exists)? If not that is there something that can be edited so I would be able to change a wheeled or tracked APC into a helicopter; maybe also change a Scout vehicle or armored car in to a FO vehicle? Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.
There is, and will be no such list. (Even I cannot reliably figure out the possibilities, with the code at hand ). If you want to figure out what can be done, then set up a test campaign with several types of troops bought and limit battle one to say 1 turn to get to the refit screen.

The old SP system limited artillery classes only to be arty upgrades, tanks to tank classes etc. with a very few cross-overs. We added several more cross-over classes about 10 years ago, back in the DOS days.

However, since you can delete formations and buy them now, unlike the original game, I find that I don't really swap types much. There is none of the need that was there in SP1 to buy your full 24 units, even if they were just place-holder trucks since you could not alter the core during play other than swaps/upgrades. Therefore if I need a helo section, I buy one. If those 25 pounder (AT-role) guns prove to be a lemon in the western desert then unless I want to swap to regular arty, I simply delete the unneeded core formation.

Cheers
Andy