.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old December 21st, 2009, 11:21 AM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Noobs & Vets: Rise of the AI Menace. EA, BI, Running.

Our team is good to go: host when ready Gridley!
Old December 21st, 2009, 12:16 PM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septimius Severus View Post
Llamaserver based games cannot shut off the hosting timer from the admin page, so to tell people that everyone is doing that is simply incorrect.
No, all you have to do is set the hosting interval wide enough to cover the holiday break (240 hours or something like that), and/or postpone the current turn by a similar amount of time... You can't turn off the timer directly, but that's not necessary.

The only time you'd want to turn off quickhost is if you're going with a *strict* hosting schedule where deadlines are always on the same hour... and even then, it'd be better to let the turns host as soon as possible and manually push back the deadline to the hosting hour. I can't really see the point of fixed deadlines like that if hosting is automated, though (it's another story if you're hosting by hand).
Old December 21st, 2009, 12:31 PM

First Lieutenant

Illuminated One is on a distinguished road

Ok, things are fixed, no delay needed.
Old December 21st, 2009, 01:02 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I can understand the request for turning off Quick Host. If a person is having trouble sending in a good file (corrupt, or serial number conflict, or bad turn number) they dont want the game to "see" that it has enough .2h files and host until they manage to send in a good file.

But PLEASE people be clear which one you mean. There are 2 possible host events. The Quick Host because all of the turns are in, and the forced host because the timer has run out. If you want to turn-off the Quick Host then do not word it something like "I want a 10 hour extension" since that will only add 10 hours to the forced-host timer.

For holidays, its usually only important to change the force-host. That way setting it to a long time period will not get in the way of hosting anyway if everyone gets their turns in.

But as always it boils down to 2 things. How many people does it take to hold up everyone else. And then the final decision I receive from the person running the game. (it does no good to discuss your votes with me in PM because I dont decide it)
Old December 21st, 2009, 01:19 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Septimius Severus is on a distinguished road

Alneyan, is quite correct and bears out what I said, that Llamaserver based games can postpone, or change the hosting interval but cannot shut off the timer directly. We are however talking about shutting off the hosting timer completely via Gandalf's server, as we did over thanksgiving. The same effect can be acheived as Alneyan stated, on Llamaserver or indeed on Gandalf's server by making a 240 hour (10 day) hosting interval or postpoing by that amount of time.

Considering the period in question will run from November 24 to December 2 inclusive, that is 10 days where the server will not host a single turn unless every single .2h file is in. We could go the entire time without anything happening at all.

Considering the length of time involved, that is why I thought it best that everyone should have a say and provide the alternate options of 72 hour and 96 hour hosts. I have always strived to be as democratic and fair as I could (hence the endless polls), I would make the same decision if the request came up at any time of year regardless of whether the holiday be Christmas, New Years, Ramadan, Hanukkah, or any other.

Maerlande, or anyone else, I am sorry if you feel that I have not been sympathetic to the every individual need as best I could. Maerlande is a good player who keeps everyone up-to-date on his activities on the team forums (if you've played team games you know that is very important) every turn. It would be a shame to loose him or anyone over this. And I urge him and anyone else not to act rashly. Personally, I have put too much time and effort in to this game to throw it away over this. But that is just me.

Be harmonious, enrich the soldiers, and scorn all other men.
-Emperor Septimius Severus, to his sons shortly before his death, quoted in Dio Cassius (77.15.2).
Old December 21st, 2009, 01:36 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

We have an extra 10 hours to play around with since I had instituted a delay on Illuminated's behalf. He's now back, and we are waiting only for Sauromatia and T'C. By the gods, I think if we can get this turn in fairly soon, we shall reach turn 30 by Christmas! I will post the poll results shortly. I was planning on the holiday delay period to run from midnight on 12/23 to midnight on 01/02 (more likely as close as Gandalf can get to it).

-Emperor Septimius Severus, to his sons shortly before his death, quoted in Dio Cassius (77.15.2).
Old December 21st, 2009, 04:00 PM

Corporal

Agusti is on a distinguished road

Hi. Septimus Severus sent me a message because maybe you could need a sub for some nations. I'm very interested and if you need someone you can count on me.

I'm a very serious player and won't let you down. I'm administrating some Dominions' games in Llamasever and i'm playing other games here and there so i don't want to give you any problems because i know how annoying is having players who dissapear without warning (stales, great delays in answering the e-mails or the turns, etc)

Cheers.

Agus aka Haplo.
Old December 21st, 2009, 04:18 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Oh ye foolish blessed ones. Have you fallen so far as to give yourselves unto slavery under the vile ACHOO? You cannot begin to imagine the suffering this act of cowardice shall be rewarded with. As you experience the terror and despair that only Easy Slay can deliver, know that you die as dogs for your overlords in the north.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old December 22nd, 2009, 02:52 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Agusti, you're account has been activated on our team forums, see my PM. We welcome any and all new players, especially those who are willing to take over nations.

The consensus on the 48/56 hour question was in favor of going to 56 hours at turn 31. With 10 of 16 votes received. I'll be posting another poll on hosting intervals as we near turn 40, next time with 3 options: Reverting to 48, remaining at 56, or moving on to 64.

The consensus on the holiday delay was in favor of shutting off the hosting timer for the entire period. 1 vote for remaining on schedule, and 2 votes for going with a 72 hour host. 10 of 16 votes received.

I am informing Gandalf with the results of the polls and instructing him to shut off the hosting timer at or around midnight on 12/23 and to restart the timer at or around midnight on 1/02 (technically 1/03). I think we can get this last turn in and hopefully 1 or 2, over the holiday period. If anyone is going to be utilizing a sub(s) or alternates and needs to change a player's e-mail address to receive new turns, please notify me.

I want to thank everyone who participated in the voting. I also want to thank anyone who may be leaving our game for participating in the game. They say this is the season for forgiving and forgetting, I wish this for all of us going forward and I personally will always be glad to play alongside of anyone at anytime.

Old December 22nd, 2009, 04:57 AM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road

Lingchih withdraws from advisor position. If anyone want more details on the decision, there is a post on the Mysterious board.