War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old September 12th, 2009, 03:08 PM

First Lieutenant

iCaMpWiThAWP is on a distinguished road
Default Weak Spot

just curious...
How is the weak spot hit chance calculated? does esperience, WH size, accuracy or any of the ratings influence this?
Old September 12th, 2009, 06:26 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Weak Spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCaMpWiThAWP View Post
just curious...
How is the weak spot hit chance calculated? does esperience, WH size, accuracy or any of the ratings influence this?
Good question!

Experience or accuracy may play in.

My humble guess would be pure luck.
Old September 12th, 2009, 06:34 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

I think its based on accuaracy, so a unit close up with a high hit chance has a greater chance of scoring one. Hes firing at the drivers plate not just the tank. So experience does help but accuracy is the thing probably based on a % of.
Certainly they seem to happen mainly when the targets close rather than mid range & above.
Old September 12th, 2009, 07:20 PM

Corporal

Mobryan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
I think its based on accuaracy, so a unit close up with a high hit chance has a greater chance of scoring one. Hes firing at the drivers plate not just the tank. So experience does help but accuracy is the thing probably based on a % of.
Certainly they seem to happen mainly when the targets close rather than mid range & above.
I think experience has something to do with it. I have some elite ATR teams in my long campaign, and tend to buy some more from support. The elite teams tend to make more destructive hits than the support troops, even to the point of single shot kills with PTRDs.

Matt
Old September 12th, 2009, 09:04 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,865 Times in 1,220 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCaMpWiThAWP View Post
just curious...
All of those and range (under 1Km or maybe its 500M) and % to-hit chance (either 80+ or 90+).

NB - A weak spot hit can still bounce just like a standard shot.

Game Guide -> release history -> What was new for version 4.0
Quote:
Skilled AT shots allowed to hit vulnerable areas. Very experienced shooters, at close ranges, can generate additional AP over the 'book' value to simulate a skilled aimed shot to a weaker area such as say a vision block, or if insufficient penetration is available, they can direct the shot to hopefully gain a disabling track hit. Very dependant on firer skill, but there to simulate say, skilled German tankers versus French Char B in 1940, or KV later, or Allied tank crews bouncing a shot off the bottom of the panther front glacis down through the driver's hatch.
Andy
Old September 13th, 2009, 12:43 AM

Captain

A track hit, yes and most time it's a mobility kill.
Getting an AT round in the driver hatch or view port still seems pretty much like a lucky shot to me
Old September 13th, 2009, 02:47 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Bit of luck yes but well trained tank gunners are pretty accurate, certainly its part of gun design has to hit within a certain area. Andys note about 500m makes sense as targets clear & so the guy is trying to be selective on what he hits.
Old September 13th, 2009, 03:38 AM

Captain

How does one ever get a well trained AT team?

The only way i found to use them is in ambush or after the tank is suppressed or runs out fire turns.

Then it's shoot and pray!

Even if you do get a KO, still have to scoot and live to tell the tale,that's the hardest part.
Old September 13th, 2009, 05:05 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,865 Times in 1,220 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gila View Post
How does one ever get a well trained AT team?

The only way i found to use them is in ambush or after the tank is suppressed or runs out fire turns.

Then it's shoot and pray!

Even if you do get a KO, still have to scoot and live to tell the tale,that's the hardest part.
usually some PTRS are a standard in my Soviet cores.

1) They may be size 0, but don't use them as scouts!
2) Deploy 1-2 hexes behind the rifle line. That way, the enemy tends to fire at the rifles, who can take casualties. Try not to fire them voluntarily as riflemen at enemy grunts, but leave their shots for op-fire to support the rifle line.
3) Don't zoom around if under indirect fire, as highly vulnerable to a few stray mortar bombs. Hunker down and hope they survive the bombardment.
4) Any with a casualty, leave behind or retire to the rear. You want them to survive and grow experience.
5) Do not get into voluntary hand to hand combat at 1 hex or less. In woods, consider stacking them with a rifle section in case an enemy rifleman stumbles onto them.

Shooting AFV:
Use the riflemen to suppress any frisky enemy rifles before shooting at the AFV with the ATR!
If the enemy AFV are not buttoned yet, make them so by firing any remaining rifle shots and perhaps HMG at them.
Try to make sure that you have a retreat hex where the ATR can go if spotted. Run away if spotted, brave Sir Robin!. (or at least, stop firing and attracting opfires).
Try to fire only 1 or 2 shots in an engagement so you don't get spotted. Bug out if spotted.
Try to fire from cover (rough, building rubble, woods etc) at 90 degrees to the flank of the Nazi armour.
When shooting at AFV, only do so from 1-3 hexes.
Don't bother if the armour is class 3 or more. But later P3 and P4 are merely class 3 sides.

Figure one formation of 4 or so of these things to support each rifle coy. Cheap and cheerful if used cautiously. But don't go mad on the things unless you have a regular opponent who always goes hog-wild on panzer grenadiers and little tin-can scout cars.

Andy
Old September 13th, 2009, 02:40 PM

Corporal

Mobryan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
[
Shooting AFV:
Use the riflemen to suppress any frisky enemy rifles before shooting at the AFV with the ATR!
If the enemy AFV are not buttoned yet, make them so by firing any remaining rifle shots and perhaps HMG at them.
Try to make sure that you have a retreat hex where the ATR can go if spotted. Run away if spotted, brave Sir Robin!. (or at least, stop firing and attracting opfires).
Try to fire only 1 or 2 shots in an engagement so you don't get spotted. Bug out if spotted.
Try to fire from cover (rough, building rubble, woods etc) at 90 degrees to the flank of the Nazi armour.
When shooting at AFV, only do so from 1-3 hexes.
Don't bother if the armour is class 3 or more. But later P3 and P4 are merely class 3 sides.

Figure one formation of 4 or so of these things to support each rifle coy. Cheap and cheerful if used cautiously. But don't go mad on the things unless you have a regular opponent who always goes hog-wild on panzer grenadiers and little tin-can scout cars.

Andy
Good points, as always, Andy.

A few more:

If I get a good set up, 100 yards @ 90 degrees, I'm not afraid to use up all my ATR shots, hoping for the golden BB. The trick with that, however, is to hold back one shot from the nearby rifle squad so they can pop smoke when the ATR is spotted.

If you've got some experienced troops w/ Molotovs, or tank hunters accompaning, you can also use the ATR to push the Panzer into retreat, then rush and close assault to destroy it. the Panzer crews tend to take the ATR shots pretty seriously, IMO.

Matt