ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old March 12th, 2008, 03:07 PM

Private

Grapevine is on a distinguished road
Default New Player

Hello all. I just downloaded the demo, and I must say, the game looks very old, but it's just about exactly what I wanted in a tactical, turn mode, game about WW2.

2 questions, 1 easy, 1 I bet you can guess.

1. How do you scroll around the map in a more controlled manner. Right now, when I move the cursor to one of the edges, the screen moves way to fast to control where I want to stop.

2. The game is pretty daunting to me. What steps should I take to learn the game? Is there a forum thread or 2 for beginners? I don't want to just try pushing buttons for fear of missing something I need to know to play the game.

Thanks for any help.
Old March 12th, 2008, 03:28 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Player

The Game Guide (AKA manual) is found via the Help tab of the game options dialogue. Press the "Read The Game Manual" button.

1) Game Guide - "Running WinSPWW2" link - Game Options Tab 2 (Misc) section - see the entries on Scroll Speed and Scroll Sensitivity

2) Game Guide - "Playing WinSPWW2 Tutorial" link - steps you through the tutorial game which introduces you to the game concepts.

Cheers
Andy
Old March 12th, 2008, 06:39 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,463 Times in 2,707 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Do as Andy suggested then......

Click on first scenario ( the one called Tutorial ) and play through then after you get a feel for things pick a time period you are interested in , set the map to something small to start, try 30x30. Set the points for player 1 to 850 and player 2 XXX and airstrikes to zero and play.

DO NOT try a huge battle or scenario to start and avoid a campaign until you are comfortable with how things work. We used to assume everyone who played these games had played the original Steel Panthers series back in the 90's but that is less and less the case anymore.

Keep in mind if you played one scenario a week you have enough to last you over 6 years so there's no rush. You will be playing this for awhile once you get the hang of it

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old March 13th, 2008, 04:44 AM

Major

Marek_Tucan is on a distinguished road

How to learn the game? Play a lot Also helps to play-by-email with some experienced SP warrior, you'll be beaten but you'd be able to see few tricks of the trade But at first, tutorial and small battles against AI to get hang of controls would be the best.Note that you may purchase units for AI as well if you set the battle up correctly, you may use this if you want to try all-infantry or all-tank or whatever battles.
Note from my personal experience: Don't neglect the infantry! they're pesky buggers, fragile, slow to move etc. but they might be decisive. Took me a long time to begin to appreciate them and cost me good number of battles till the lesson sunk in
Old March 13th, 2008, 09:50 PM

First Lieutenant

PanzerBob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Keep in mind of you played one scenario a week you have enough to last you over 6 years so there's no rush.
MOOOOHAHAHAHA!!!!

Once hooked it's like a powerful addictive drug, I've been on the SP for 13 years now, there's just so much you can do with this game.

As for the learning curve, I can't add much too the great advice above. I will add play for fun first, don't get too wrapped up in all the details of what a unit can do, until you think "why can't I do that? or can I do that?" look it up and very likely you will find you CAN DO IT. There's not much in this game that all those involved in it's constant evolution have not thought of.

And, don't afraid to ask guestions, yes most everything is covered one way or another but somtimes, asking gets you different angles to the same problem. Hell, 13 years later and I'll still learning new things, but it keeps the game interesting.

Welcome to my obsession. See Attachment
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 588256-3rdReich Pz5f Panther Schell.jpg (154.4 KB, 105 views)

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Heinz Guderian, General der Panzertruppe
Old March 15th, 2008, 11:44 AM

Corporal

Brummbar is on a distinguished road

Quote:

2. The game is pretty daunting to me. What steps should I take to learn the game? Is there a forum thread or 2 for beginners? I don't want to just try pushing buttons for fear of missing something I need to know to play the game.

Thanks for any help.
I thought the same thing when I started playing. All the advice these guy's have given is all you need to play! If you can't find the answer here just ask. Someone is alway's quick to answer.

"One death is a tragedy; a million is a statistic."