ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old April 6th, 2008, 10:48 PM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road
Default Tank Crew Casualties

My own experience with SPWW2 is that it’s rare for tank crew members to survive unharmed if their tank is knocked out.

Two unscientific examples of my last two battles, where I coincidently had 10 tanks destroyed in each battle:

In the first battle, out of 10 tanks, 2 tanks had at least 1 crewman escape the tank unharmed. One of those crews were then knocked out, the other crew had 1 man survive unharmed. Out of 50 men only 1 crew member survived unharmed.

In the second battle, out of 10 tanks knocked out, 4 tanks had at least 1 man get out unharmed. Which is higher than average in my experience. But two of those crews became casualties. The other two crews only had 1 man unharmed in each. Out of 50 men only 2 crewmen survived unharmed.

So out of 100 crew men, only 3 were not killed or wounded as a result of their tanks being knocked out.

Is it possible that the current tank crew casualty rate - resulting from a knocked out tank - is a little high?

I did a little research and found some data that includes:

A British postwar study done in 1950 looked at 3710 tanks lost in Europe (35%) Italy (18%) and North Africa (47%).

The study shows that when a tank was lost to an Anti-Tank gun, the crew suffered an average of 40% casualties (18% killed, 22% wounded).

When a tank was lost to another tank the casualty rate goes up to 46% (about 22% killed, to 24% wounded)

Infantry AT weapons caused 38% casualties, and mines 22% casualties (only 5% killed 17% wounded by mines).

Apparently these figures even include crew who were lost after bailing out.

A Sample of 506 tanks lost (destroyed and damaged) in the US First Army from 6 June to 30 November 1944.

Tank loss due to:

Mines 18.2%
AT/Tank guns 46.2%
Artillery 7.3%
Mortars 1.8%
Infantry AT 13.6%
Other 12.9%

From this sample it was determined that 39.7% burned (all were M4 and M5)
57.5% of those lost were repairable.
In 104 cases there were no casualties incurred in the loss (20.6%)
For 50 the number of casualties was unknown (9.9%)
In the remaining 352 cases, there were a total of 129 KIA (0.37 per loss)
and 280 WIA (0.80 per loss) for a total of 409 casualties in 352 losses (1.16 per loss)

The crew casualty rates among US formations in the ETO averaged something on the order of one dead, and one injured, per Sherman destroyed.

That count was across many formations over quite a bit of time. It was not a count conducted from the bottom-up, reviewing details tank-by-tank, but rather by accumulating casualty data across units, and dividing by tank loss data. So it includes crew casualties received both in and out of the tanks, from sniper fire, from mortar and artillery attacks, from mines, etc. (And as most tankers would probably guess, a large portion of casualties to crew occured outside of the tanks.)

A survey of casualties amongst armoured units in North West Europe by Captain H.B. Wright RAMC & Captain R.D. Harkness RAMC WO 205/1165 noted that 38% of tank crew casualties were fatalities (note this applies to all British tank types in aggregate and not just Shermans) and the majority were caused by AP shot, which typically caused 1.4 casualties per tank. 25% of all casualties were burns.

Interesting stuff…

Don,

This post has no ulterior motive. It is not in any way intended to question the quality and the excellence of your work. It is merely my observations, and reporting what I found on the web. I have a genuine interest in real crew survival rates and the accuracy of SPWW2. It may be that SP crew survival should be adjusted, but perhaps not. But don’t go off on some rant. Keep the pin in the grenade buddy
Old April 7th, 2008, 07:39 PM

First Lieutenant

PanzerBob is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tank Crew Casualties

I'd be curious as to which nations armour did you use for your test?

I play a lot of campaigns as Germany I'm only seeing around 50% providing they don't bail into SA fire. Now another point is that "casualities" figure in dead, wounded and combat ineffective, maybe the last is why the crews "casualities" seem high. The other thing which comes to mind is, there is the survival rating on the vehicle, and I believe this may figure into how well the crew makes out,

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Heinz Guderian, General der Panzertruppe
Old April 7th, 2008, 09:50 PM

Captain

Hi Bob,

Thanks for that...I didn't think of those things.

Most of tanks were Cromwells with perhaps 20% Challengers, so it's not like these guys were in Sherman 'Tommy cookers'.

In the first study I sited, they actually broke down the data by the type of tank (mostly). The Sherman was probably the worst, as you'd expect; but the Cromwell was in a group that fared quite well.

In my post and data I took into account both dead and wounded, so I'm fully aware of that part; but I'm not really sure what 'combat inneffective' encompasses?

I assume it can't mean anything temporary, as routed/fleeing takes care of that; and crew casualties are not available by the next battle in a campaign. Is it serious shell shock?
Old April 8th, 2008, 01:45 AM

Major

Marek_Tucan is on a distinguished road

Or the "missing" crew transfers to posts where their experience can't be utilised? One of the guys who is often credited with knocking out Wittmann's Tiger in Villers Bocage and who most likely didn't KO Wittmann, but he did three Tigers that day, was almost for a first day in the Firefly gunner's seat and short afterwards was relegated to another tank as driver IIRC.
Old April 8th, 2008, 10:40 AM

Captain

Bob,

You are seeing 50 casualties out of 100 in German tanks before bailout losses.

The 4 studies of US and British tanks in my original post show:

1. 43% casualties (includes losses after bail out)
2. 22% casualties (using data of 352 serious losses over half of which burned)
3. 40% casualties (includes losses for all reasons, in & out of tank)
4. 28% casualties

'Casualties' mean 'not fit for duty'.

Sounds like even your excellent survival (make it out of the tank) rate of 50% is too low. The studies seem to show that about 70 to 75% should make it out of the tank OK.

My experience with Britsh tanks is that probably around 15% to 20% are making it out of the tank OK. This may not be accurate, but I do know it's way way less than 50%.
Old April 8th, 2008, 11:10 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,464 Times in 2,708 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

There are a number of factors that determine crew survival. The "Survivability" number has an effect but it's use is mainly for the vehicle itself. However having a higher Survivability rating does help the crew once the armour is pierced when crew survival is determined as is the penetration ability of the shell that pierced the armour and it's warhead size and the type of shell that did the piercing. Then there's a healthy dose of randomness tossed in as well so the same gun penetrating the same tank over and over and over does not give the same result over and over and over.

The code is not simple. Many, many factors come into play to produce what appears to be a simple result. We have found that making small adjustments can sometimes have totally un-intended consequences so we are more and more living by the adage that " if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and we don't consider the crew survival code broken.

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old April 8th, 2008, 12:17 PM

Captain

Thanks Don,

One of things I love about SP is how the random results are 'realistic' as far as wargames go.

I understand you don't want to mess with the code, but hey if this crew survival issue makes it onto the bottom of your list to be looked at in the future then great.

This is just feedback, and an interesting subject, but I trust to you guys to make the best decisions for the game in the long run. You've done a pretty good job so far.

Cheers,
Simon
Old April 8th, 2008, 06:10 PM

BANNED USER

chuckfourth is on a distinguished road

Hi Cross
I have had a thought on this topic.
In game people commonly buy a king tigers, stalins, 17 pdrs ect. So when comparing game statistics with 'real' statistics we would have to consider that on average, in-game the tanks armour may be overmatched by a bigger factor than in real life, so the game results may be correct or in fact underestimates.
I would have thought that a tank that burned regularily would have a lower survivability than an 'average' tank.
Best Regards Chuck.
Old April 9th, 2008, 09:09 AM

Captain

Hi Chuck,

Yes I'm sure that typical SP battles are more intense, and at closer ranges than the average WWII engagement. Weren't about half actual WWII casualties caused by artillery?

That said, most of my tank losses in 1944 have been to 75mm or 50mm guns; I do recall losing 1 of those 20 tanks to a Tiger.

I'm sure you're also right about lower crew survival for tanks that burn, but all the data seems to indicate I should be getting higher crew survival than I am.

Keep in mind that I retire crews to the rear ASAP, I almost never use them for scouting etc.

I think I'll continue to watch and record my crew survival rate.

cheers
Cross
Old April 9th, 2008, 09:13 AM

Captain

ps.

If you haven't seen it, here's a video showing 3 or 4 crew bailing out of a burning Panther just shot by a US Pershing at close range:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=l_ZDBinC0XI

for the full story see here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Jt5bJQOkI1g