ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old May 12th, 2008, 07:58 AM

Second Lieutenant

RightDeve is on a distinguished road
Default About Radio

Hi, i'm a newbie here. I gotta lots of questions regarding my new WinSPWW2v3 game:

1. What is the function of RADIO device used in WinSP? Is that only for "rallying" or it is vital for commanding a unit (i.e if my unit is listed in CHQ as "Out of Contact", can I still command him?) -- just like the function in FireFight game where your troops cannot be lead or directed toward next movement destination if they don't have radio or too far away from the HQ.

2. What is "rallying"?

3. What does it mean in the bombardment/spotter screen next to the unit which is going to bombard a number written 1.1 or 2.0 etc?

After all, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE ANSWER. WinSPWW2 is a great game, I've never seen such this game before. Should this game has a greater graphic, then CloseCombat series would be far away surpassed!!!
Old May 12th, 2008, 08:13 AM

Major

Marek_Tucan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: About Radio

1) Radio is vital for example for commanding artillery, if your arty units without radio get out of contact with their commander, they won't fire their support missions.

2) Squad/platoon/company/battallion/regiment/briogade... commander moving along the line, shouting: "Hold the line!", "Make every round count!", "Give those sonova*****es something to think about!", "There are only two kinds of people on this beach: those who are already dead and those who are going to die. Now let's get the hell out of here.", that sort of thing.

3) It means delay before the shells / aircrafts come in. 0 means the shells will land before your next turn, 1.1 means most of barrage would fall before T+2, 2.0 means all of shells will land before T+3...

EDIT: Oh, and I have forgotten my good manners, so at least post facto... Welcome and enjoy your stay!
Old May 12th, 2008, 08:30 AM

Second Lieutenant

Well, thanks 4 the quick reply. But I still wondering the function of Radio. I mean, can we still move around any of our in-map troops without radio --and without voice contact-- or they ain't gonna do nothing just like sitting duck? (I mean, we are the commander, the HQ, and without contact to our troops, we surely can't order them to move even a single HEX?)
Old May 12th, 2008, 12:14 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

You can move your troops as you see fit - even if out of command.

However, troops not in command do not have the platoon commander, or perhaps even Coy or Bn commanders available to rally them if in dire straits - only the element leader. Also, out of CC troops will get some suppression added over time (especially damaged and/or low morale ones). Therefore - if anything bad happens to them, they are up the creek, usually.

There are no SP3 type command points - and the general consensus amongst players I have seen over the years is if it were implemented, then most would turn it off as they want the control.

Cheers
Andy
Old May 13th, 2008, 01:30 AM

Second Lieutenant

Well, that's a perfect answer I want.
But I think, it would be more realistic if we can't control troops without contact, or not??!

Great thanks!!!
Old May 13th, 2008, 06:23 AM

Sergeant

hoplitis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
RightDeve said:
But I think, it would be more realistic if we can't control troops without contact, or not??!
RightDeve,
It depends on who we are!
We are the battalion, company, platoon and section leaders all in one supreme being!

There is already too much arguing about the AI as an opponent (too easy, too hard, too buggy, too dum, too whatever...) Imagine having the AI as your subordinate!!! First, it wouldn't be "human vs computer" any more but "cyborg vs computer"!
Old May 13th, 2008, 08:28 AM

Second Lieutenant

Well, good brand new reference 4 me! Previously I thought we are only the main HQ (A0).

Great Thanks!!!!