.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old June 16th, 2004, 12:05 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

tinkthank is on a distinguished road
Default Some small questions on Unholiness (Ermor and Ctis DT)

1. I have noticed that not ALL unholy priests are unable to preach -- there are those U1 guys I had spawn in Ermor SG, and they could preach. Are there any other Unholy Priests that can preach?

2. Speaking of those U-1 priests that spawned in SG -- they spawned *only* in enemy territories under my dominion. Was that a cooincidence, or is the only way to get these guys by getting enemy territories under my dominion?

3a. "Protection of the Sepulchre" and "Power of the S." supposedly affects all undead units on the battlefield, but I have clicked on a bunch of units (while playing SG) and have found some units unaffected by these spells; their neighbors will have higher MR or whatnot, but they wont. And these were NOT skellies or other units summoned after the spell was cast, but Legionairres or spirits or whatnot around from the start. Is this intentional, or a bug, or a display bug, or what?

3b. Blessings: these spells "unlock the power of an unholy troop" -- I am confused here as to Ctis vs. Ermor: Ermor gets UNholy troops (like Wailing Ladies or Knights of the Sepulchre), but I think Ctis DT only gets SACRED troops. Does the Unholy Version work on both? Does the unholy Version also work for, e.g., recruited human-type sacred units (like druids etc.)?
Or are these two different things? In DT Ctis, do I need a priest to bless the sacred troops and an unholy one to "unlock their powers" (whatever that is), or is for example "divine blessing" and "royal blessing" (the unholy Version) functionally identical? Or are they functionally identical, but differ only in scope (e.g. royal blessing blesses only if you are undead, while divine blessing blesses you if you are living OR dead)?

Thanks very much
Old June 16th, 2004, 02:59 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Some small questions on Unholiness (Ermor and Ctis DT)

Quote:
Originally posted by tinkthank:
1. I have noticed that not ALL unholy priests are unable to preach -- there are those U1 guys I had spawn in Ermor SG, and they could preach. Are there any other Unholy Priests that can preach?
Living unholy priests can preach. Undead ones can't.

Quote:
3a. "Protection of the Sepulchre" and "Power of the S." supposedly affects all undead units on the battlefield, but I have clicked on a bunch of units (while playing SG) and have found some units unaffected by these spells; their neighbors will have higher MR or whatnot, but they wont.
Magic resistance easily negates protection of the sepulchre, which is why it won't normally affect soul gate troops. Power of the sepulchre doesn't seem to actualy affect the whole battlefield when the number of troops becomes huge.
Old June 17th, 2004, 02:08 AM

Corporal

Anglachel is on a distinguished road

Quote:

3b. but I think Ctis DT only gets SACRED troops. Does the Unholy Version work on both? Does the unholy Version also work for, e.g., recruited human-type sacred units (like druids etc.)?
Or are these two different things? In DT Ctis, do I need a priest to bless the sacred troops and an unholy one to "unlock their powers" (whatever that is), or is for example "divine blessing" and "royal blessing" (the unholy Version) functionally identical? Or are they functionally identical, but differ only in scope (e.g. royal blessing blesses only if you are undead, while divine blessing blesses you if you are living OR dead)?

Thanks very much
The Tomb Worms that an Unholy level 4 or higher priest can summon show as sacred but they become blessed by the unholy Version that the Ctis unholy priests cast(i.e. morale and bless effects if any get activated). Don't know about divine blessing doing the same thing for Tomb Worms as I don't bother much with holy priests in the Tomb theme of Ctis.
Old June 17th, 2004, 09:49 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Hm I cant seem to figure it out.
You dont bother with normal priests, really? Then who does the preaching?
Old June 17th, 2004, 12:33 PM

Corporal

Anglachel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hm I cant seem to figure it out.
You dont bother with normal priests, really? Then who does the preaching?
I take a lot of negative scales with Desert Tomb Ctis and rely on specific magics on my pretender for site searches to uncover sites that enhance my money flow to make up for this.

As a result, I have a lot of points even after the 150 point hit from taking the theme. Ergo, I have such a high dominion that it seems to spread out fairly strongly plus I castle and temple along the way. Unholy preists can build temples and I haven't run into the need to preach up dominion in the games I have run yet. If a need arises I'll just buy a hierodule(level 2 holy priest) for a super cheap price of 40 gold and jump start the dominion till it starts to rise pretty much on its own.
Old June 17th, 2004, 02:06 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Thanks.
Do you happen to know what the deal is with the Keepers of the Tombs? They are Holy2, but not sacred, or is that borked?

It seems as if the Unholy Versions of Blessing works just like the normal ones; there are no Unholy troops of Ctis, just undead ones. I still have yet to test whether the Unholy blessing also works on normal sacred troops...
Old June 17th, 2004, 03:26 PM

Second Lieutenant

Scott Hebert is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Do you happen to know what the deal is with the Keepers of the Tombs? They are Holy2, but not sacred, or is that borked?
Well, that's pretty funny, considering the unit they replace (the Shaman), is Sacred but not a Priest. That's a _very_ easy thing to mod, though. Would you like me to do that for you? Or you can make it your own first modding project.

Quote:
It seems as if the Unholy Versions of Blessing works just like the normal ones; there are no Unholy troops of Ctis, just undead ones. I still have yet to test whether the Unholy blessing also works on normal sacred troops...
I don't think it does, but even with my use of Desert Tombs, you don't see a lot of mixing (I don't tend to use the living Sacred troops with DT).
Old June 17th, 2004, 03:40 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Hm, actually, I suppose I would like to mod that, unless it is explicitly intentional on the side of Illwinter. (I wonder if they will comment on that?) I have to open up some file and find the monster number and add a special command, "is sacred", right?