Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old April 26th, 2014, 05:20 PM

Corporal

Pats is on a distinguished road
Default Artillery Guns and Howitzers with direct fire

Artillery Guns and Howitzers with direct fire.
So to put the title into my question, what would be the best way to model a weapon with Mobhack to have an artillery gun or howitzer (lets say 105mm) that can use anti tank rounds in direct fire.

Indirect Fire would be a range over 200 with HE and possible HEAT shells.

Direct Fire would be a lot shorter wouldn't it. So the only way I can see, is to use the sabot slot. But there is no entry for kill value only penetration. What value is the weapon using for sabot kill.

Could something like this be alright then? (attachment)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ArtyAT.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	12947  
Old April 26th, 2014, 06:18 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Artillery Guns and Howitzers with direct fire

That is the way it's already done for arty with a solid AT shot. (IIRC it is more common in WW2, MBT uses HEAT in the main). See weapon 117 in the UK OOB for example.

The method gets a note in passing in the Mobhack help. See the yellow box in the weapons tab, containing the following:

Quote:
PLEASE NOTE:

"AP ammo" can also represent earlier or alternate versions of SABOT ammo in much the same way that "Sabot" ammo can sometimes represent AP ammo when used by on map artillery.
(Italics mine)

cheers
Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old April 27th, 2014, 01:13 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

With a few (mostly Russian) exceptions artillery isn't used for direct fire work these days so there's rarely much in the way of AT type ammo available for them, perhaps HEAT but rarely AP or SABOT.

Not to say they aren't occasionally used for direct fire at need (say when being overrun) or in unusual instances (I recall they used 8in howitzers vs some bunkers on the Sigfried Line).

I'm not even sure if the US 105mm howitzer can even fire the ammo used by the M60 tank.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old April 27th, 2014, 07:44 AM

Corporal

Pats is on a distinguished road

Until the 80's the Swiss still had a stock of Anti tank shells for their 105mm howitzers...
Lack of other AT guns during WW2 (Except 47mm AT guns and 20/24mm AT Rifles) and after it was the best AT defence (but nearly immobile) until G-13 tank destroyers (Hetzer) were used in bigger numbers (and later Centurions and Pz61).

As far I found out they used Two types:
1) Panzergranaten 10,5 cm Pz G BoZ Lsp 13,5 kg and
2) Panzerkerngranate 10,5 cm Kan u Hb Pz Ke G Lsp 1 Ladg 8,7 kg

1) older aprox. during WW2
2) newer, not before 1942, possible sabot ammo (kern=core)

It's only a guess, but I'm pretty sure, they not even destroyed them all these days... LoL

source (in German): http://www.militaerfahrzeuge.ch/unte...26_37_402.html ... and others
Old April 27th, 2014, 08:04 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Standard WW2 way to engage armour with the UK 5.5in field gun was to leave the blanking plug in the HE round and fire it unfused, so relying on the KE effect only.

Probably was similar to what other armies medium artillery did in WW2, but less useful post-war as tanks grew into MBTs.

Andy
Old May 28th, 2014, 03:25 PM

Captain

Marcello is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
With a few (mostly Russian) exceptions artillery isn't used for direct fire work these days so there's rarely much in the way of AT type ammo available for them, perhaps HEAT but rarely AP or SABOT.

Not to say they aren't occasionally used for direct fire at need (say when being overrun) or in unusual instances (I recall they used 8in howitzers vs some bunkers on the Sigfried Line).

I'm not even sure if the US 105mm howitzer can even fire the ammo used by the M60 tank.
It depends. During WW2 it was not unusual to use artillery in the antitank role and there were still plenty of smaller caliber weapons (stuff like 25 Pdr or the Zis-3) that were suitable to deal with at least some of the tanks they faced.
Afterwards tanks got thicker skins and the lighter artillery calibers were dropped for various reasons. Neverthless the soviets kept developing and issuing antitank artillery round for all the new arty pieces until the 70's IIRC. These would be either HEAT or some sort of AP, not sabot as there would be various issues with the latter and probably not worth the investment anyway.
The West stopped earlier, though note that direct fire egagements could still happen: at Osan the american howitzers engaged the north korean T-34s with HEAT in direct mode.