Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Look what I can do...

Quote:
Instar said:
Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
Since we are on this subject.....

I would be interested in a CGI which is the simplest possible for UPLOADING a file to a linux webserver. Such as, if I click it then it goes the full path to "C://program files/Space Empires IV/mygame/myturn.fil" and uploads it. No questions, no options, no checks and verifications.
Perl is what you want for CGI. PHP is better though, IMO.
I wouldnt care if it were written in Basic. In this case my definition of "better" would be simplest. Kindof like a game my programmers used to play called "I can do that in # lines of code".
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old April 22nd, 2005, 09:28 PM

Major

Instar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
Quote:
Instar said:
Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
Since we are on this subject.....

I would be interested in a CGI which is the simplest possible for UPLOADING a file to a linux webserver. Such as, if I click it then it goes the full path to "C://program files/Space Empires IV/mygame/myturn.fil" and uploads it. No questions, no options, no checks and verifications.
Perl is what you want for CGI. PHP is better though, IMO.
I wouldnt care if it were written in Basic. In this case my definition of "better" would be simplest. Kindof like a game my programmers used to play called "I can do that in # lines of code".
Well, do you want to learn how to do it yourself, or do you want a freebie or something? I think there are some free Perl cgi scripts...
When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet, and when toast is dropped, it always lands with the buttered side facing down. I propose to strap buttered toast to the back of a cat. The two will hover, spinning inches above the ground. With a giant buttered cat array, a high-speed monorail could easily link New York with Chicago.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 09:44 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

No on the learning. Ive got a ton of books and help sites on that. I just want something that I click and it sends
"D:\Program Files\Space Empires IV Gold\Empires\mine.emp". No questions, no choices. If its simple enough then it will serve my purpose of being able to modify it on the fly.

I thought there might be someone here who writes their own CGI's. If not then no problem, I can keep asking around.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old April 23rd, 2005, 01:59 AM

Major

What kind of webserver you running? I assume some kind of Apache, right?
When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet, and when toast is dropped, it always lands with the buttered side facing down. I propose to strap buttered toast to the back of a cat. The two will hover, spinning inches above the ground. With a giant buttered cat array, a high-speed monorail could easily link New York with Chicago.
Old April 23rd, 2005, 09:42 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Instar said:
Debian Linux, Apache. Dedicated, full root so anything can be added if its not already there for this.

Im half trying to move toward handling some PbEM games from the SysAdmin upward side of it rather than the WebMaster downward side usually used. The one stumbling block that I keep meaning to work on and never do, is an upload routine. Simple, single file going to a single location, no options. If someone can do that, great. If not then I will put it back on the back-burner till I get around to it.
Old April 24th, 2005, 02:47 AM

Major

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
Quote:
Instar said:
Debian Linux, Apache. Dedicated, full root so anything can be added if its not already there for this.

Im half trying to move toward handling some PbEM games from the SysAdmin upward side of it rather than the WebMaster downward side usually used. The one stumbling block that I keep meaning to work on and never do, is an upload routine. Simple, single file going to a single location, no options. If someone can do that, great. If not then I will put it back on the back-burner till I get around to it.
No promises, but I'll look into it. I'm pretty busy with work and the beta, but it should be really easy.
Old April 24th, 2005, 03:04 AM

Major

http://cgi-lib.berkeley.edu/ex/fup.html
Something like the above? It looks to be a fairly common Perl lib that takes a HTTP POST from the HTML form.
Old April 24th, 2005, 10:25 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Instar said:
http://cgi-lib.berkeley.edu/ex/fup.html
Something like the above? It looks to be a fairly common Perl lib that takes a HTTP POST from the HTML form.
No. Thats the kindof thing I found plenty of in google. But thanks. I can add it to my list of "maybe this one stipped down if I ever get time and motivation for it".

Gandalf Parker
Old April 26th, 2005, 01:56 AM

Major

Well, I don't understand what you want then. You want a webpage you visit to automatically upload a file from the user's computer? That just isn't very possible with standard Perl/PHP/HTML stuff. You can create a default value for the HTML input, if that is what you mean.
Old April 26th, 2005, 02:11 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road

I think he wants a script that will upload a file in a specific location on his computer to a specific location on his webpage, so that if he wants to upload something different, all he has to do is change the addressing.
Sig updated to remove non-working links.