ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old October 23rd, 2007, 07:00 AM

Corporal

codman is on a distinguished road
Default random thoughts about the game engine

I was wondering if it was possible to come up with OOB mods from different time periods and use them with the current game engine. I suspect that this may have already been discussed but it certainly seems feasible as tanks would become chariots and LMG's might become archers. Not the best of examples perhaps but it's just an idea. It might be a neat way to generate some extra $$$ for the parties involved provided there's a way to resolve any legal mumbo jumbo.

Thoughts/Comments?
Old October 23rd, 2007, 07:46 AM

Sergeant

PatG is on a distinguished road
Default Re: random thoughts about the game engine

It has been discussed a number of times and a WWI oob has been produced. I am not one of the developers but this is my understanding.
There are quite a few factors in play:
  • In general the command and control structure limits what time periods can be covered.
  • Code limitations on scale limit what kind of weapons can be simulated.
  • For legal reasons, only a select group has access to the code.
  • The code itself is very convoluted, patched and hacked. What appears to be a simple change like allowing body armour has an impact on a huge amount of code all of which needs to be changed, tested and debugged.
  • The pick-list code in particular appears to be locked away from public access. No, it won't be made public anytime soon.
  • Creating a new whole new OOB goes far beyond just making the data. Unit graphics in particular need to be made up and incorporated into LBM files. Sounds might need to be created and then there are the pick-lists again.
  • The developers are only human and have limited time to spend. This is a labour of love, I doubt the WinSp series is making them any money. At the moment they have chosen to concentrate on modern and WWII because that is where the greatest demand is.

So - a good idea that has been brought up before but it ain't gonna happen.

And as always, thanks to Don and Andy for everything you have given us so far.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 03:09 PM

Major

Marek_Tucan is on a distinguished road

Future - I'd say no problem, except maybe Power Armor infantry ala Starship Troopers (but then from that book, each soldier would be an independent armored unit so even them are doable - sort of, no power jumps but so be it)...

Past - hard. You may have to change the game scale to be able to distinguish between meelee weapons (range 1 hex), pikes and other "long" weapons and ranged weapons. OTOH that won't be so big a problem as ranged weapons would have less range as well. However it would be hard to simulate things even so recent as Napoleonic compact column charge - let alone Hoplite phalanx, using the inertia of tightly packed men against enemy formation. Also Carrees would be hard to form

I'd say historical limit (if pushing it already) for the game engine and current scale would be period when riflemen and artillery were already major part of the battlefield. Go to swords, halberds, pikes etc. and you open an entirely new can of worms.

As for changing the code, better not think about it, as a) only Don and Andy are permitted to meddle with it and b) any day I spend at work, testing generally simple software, I'm getting shivers from thinking what a work is it to twist the C spaghetti of SP2 engine into such things as reverse or barbed wire

So... If you want, you may create ancient OOB set but don't expect any support in form of code meddling etc. Don and Andy have enough work with SP as it is...
[/lecture]

Seems I'm beginning to spot first changes of my mind already forming up to future PhD studies (incl. leading lessons), sorry for the length of the post
Old October 26th, 2007, 02:35 AM

Sergeant

troopie is on a distinguished road

The game doesn't model close order formations. Units and formations can fire or engage in any direction. This is not so in reality, which is why you tried to flank or take formations in rear. They were open shields, or could not use their weapons. Also, there is a practical limit and a code limit to the number of men you can put. The code limit is 255. The practical limit is about fifty. More than that, and morale checks break down and the slightest fire causes them to rout permanently.

Also the game does not model black powder. The choking clouds of smoke that obscured battle fields before the 1880's don't appear. No complaint, the engine was never designed to do that.

A hex is 50 metres. That's too large for (e.g) an ACW company and not enough for a battalion or regiment. And formations in the game move individually, not in the solid masses of early warfare.

I have done French colonial and Boer war scenarios and suspect that is the earliest that may be done. It seems to me that it does that very well.

But, try it if you wish. Maybe I'm wrong.

troopie