This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: Starfury

Old October 13th, 2003, 08:59 PM

Sergeant

ColdSteel is on a distinguished road
Default Mod Projects List

It would be nice to know which kinds of mods people are already working on or would like to see made.

I'll go first. Here are three things that I would like to see modded into the game:

1) Asteroid mining. Mine them for resources. One way to do this would be to make a new ship class that uses the asteroid .x file model. Don't put any components on it except raw materials components. Give the ship a high hull value or some armor (crystaline might be good) to make it hard to destroy. When it's destroyed, it drops some containers (or 1 container maybe) with the materials. Pick 'em up and sell 'em. You could mix these "ship" type asteroids in with the regular ones so you'd have to hunt for them. You could even put some weapons on one and call it a belt miner colony defending its territory. Working in dense asteroid fields without colliding could be dangerous but profitable work.

2) Salvage derelict ship hulks. How cool would it be to find a derelict ship floating dead amoung the asteroids or in deep space. If we had tractor beams (or could mod them in), you could haul it to the nearest spaceport and sell it or repair it for use. One way to do this might be to use a icon (like a component icon) of a ship in your inventory to represent a towed ship. Maybe when tractored somehow count the ship as part of the inventory and give it a weight of 100? Not sure exactly how to do this one but it sure would be fun.

3) Implement true trade routes (like Elite and Starflight2). This one is discussed in another thread here and SJ already had some good suggestions on how it could be done. More suggestions/ideas welcome.

Frankly, I'd love to see all three of these ideas in one mod. I'd like see Starfury be somewhat like the Morrowind RPG. You can play that game any way you want to and the possibilities are practically endless. Great game depth. I'd like to see depth like that added to Starfury. It would add a lot of fun to the game.

If anyone has any thoughts on how the above could be implemented, or have new ideas of their own, or if anyone is already working on stuff like this, please post here.

-ColdSteel
Old October 13th, 2003, 09:08 PM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mod Projects List

Derlicts could be done like cargo- as components. You could only sell them off then though, not use them..and you'd have to run them over to pick them up!

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old October 13th, 2003, 09:13 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

General Woundwort is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by ColdSteel:
1) Asteroid mining. Mine them for resources. One way to do this would be to make a new ship class that uses the asteroid .x file model. Don't put any components on it except raw materials components. Give the ship a high hull value or some armor (crystaline might be good) to make it hard to destroy. When it's destroyed, it drops some containers (or 1 container maybe) with the materials. Pick 'em up and sell 'em. You could mix these "ship" type asteroids in with the regular ones so you'd have to hunt for them. You could even put some weapons on one and call it a belt miner colony defending its territory. Working in dense asteroid fields without colliding could be dangerous but profitable work.

2) Salvage derelict ship hulks. How cool would it be to find a derelict ship floating dead amoung the asteroids or in deep space. If we had tractor beams (or could mod them in), you could haul it to the nearest spaceport and sell it or repair it for use. One way to do this might be to use a icon (like a component icon) of a ship in your inventory to represent a towed ship. Maybe when tractored somehow count the ship as part of the inventory and give it a weight of 100? Not sure exactly how to do this one but it sure would be fun.
1 & 2 would probably be the easiest to do. You'd have to use a race slot for for asteroids and derelicts (call it "Objects" or something), and then generate 'ship designs' for them (as you have already outlined above). There's no way I can tell to implement towing, so you'd probably have to do the "blow up and sweep up" system on derelicts as well. That might be a nice way to introduce new alien tech to players, though...

Quote:
3) Implement true trade routes (like Elite and Starflight2). This one is discussed in another thread here and SJ already had some good suggestions on how it could be done. More suggestions/ideas welcome.
More power to him, but it looks like it will be tough, and liable to cause all kinds of lockups and bugs if not done exactly right.

EDIT - I will learn to spell one day...

[ October 13, 2003, 20:13: Message edited by: General Woundwort ]
Old October 14th, 2003, 11:02 AM

Brigadier General

Rollo is on a distinguished road

I am working on a mod that adds some new ships, races, sites, and space monsters. Also I am planning to do a new story line for that as well.
Unfortunately I am having problems right now. SF spits out an ugly floating point error and I have no clue why. So the project is currently on hold.

Rollo

[ October 14, 2003, 10:02: Message edited by: Rollo ]
Dungeon Odyssey:
Hack and Slash
Version 0.53e