Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
Battleground - CBM, max lvl 6 magic, no site search/research - Finished - Page 3 - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old September 5th, 2010, 07:16 AM

Major General

Valerius is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Battleground - CBM, max lvl 6 magic, no need to site search or research - Recruit

I ran a batch of random maps. These six seemed the most promising. Any opinions on the attached options?

Edit: these are all 125 prov maps and would work fine for 8-9 players.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battleground_maps.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	10418  
Old September 5th, 2010, 09:12 AM

Corporal

Dark Kitty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Battleground - CBM, max lvl 6 magic, no need to site search or research - Recruit

I guess 2 or 3 (more rivers)

I was looking at maps on llamaserver yesterday : the Hyborian Age and Europe seemed nice, altough a bit big compared to what you wanted (unfortunately there was no link for Europe)

If we have 8 players with ~12 provinces each, maybe Aran could do?
Old September 5th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

aran is an awful map.

Middle Earth is 106 provinces though, which is ~12/player. I've wanted to play a game on that map for awhile. And iirc it has very few water provinces.

Random maps are bad because they only have border mtns (no real mtn provinces). So unless you want to massage some .map files...

Ulm: Order of the Black Rose - Reimagining MA Ulm

A more Sombre forum: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?.act=idx. Now with more Maerlande.
Old September 5th, 2010, 12:51 PM

Captain

LDiCesare is on a distinguished road

I don't like the maps because they have water provinces. 6 would be my best bet from a quick look.
Old September 5th, 2010, 01:14 PM

Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Kitty View Post
I was looking at maps on llamaserver yesterday : the Hyborian Age and Europe seemed nice, altough a bit big compared to what you wanted (unfortunately there was no link for Europe)
My concern with those is that they have too many water provinces

Quote:
If we have 8 players with ~12 provinces each, maybe Aran could do?
I considered Aran based on the number of provinces (I've never played it MP) but I don't think it's balanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelloid View Post
Middle Earth is 106 provinces though, which is ~12/player. I've wanted to play a game on that map for awhile. And iirc it has very few water provinces.
Middle Earth could work on the lower end of the provs/player scale but I've got to say I just don't like the look of that map. It's tough on my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelloid View Post
Random maps are bad because they only have border mtns (no real mtn provinces). So unless you want to massage some .map files...
No problem. We can do basic edits like creating real mountain provs or changing prov connections, or even extract portions of a larger map like with Cradle in ThreeFort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDiCesare View Post
I don't like the maps because they have water provinces.
Though I'm the most anti-water nation player I know, I like having a few water provinces as features to break up the terrain. Would you prefer no water provinces at all or that they just be single provinces, not two or three together?

Quote:
I guess 2 or 3 (more rivers)
BTW, I don't think the random map generator makes rivers impassable - they are just decorative features. But I could edit the map file to make them impassable.
Old September 5th, 2010, 03:46 PM

Corporal

Dark Kitty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerius View Post
BTW, I don't think the random map generator makes rivers impassable - they are just decorative features. But I could edit the map file to make them impassable.
I was thinking about more provinces with higher incomes actually but I think you're right, they must be only decorative. It would be nice to have a map with some impassable obstacles though (not necessarily that you modded yourself, surely there is plenty of maps which already have some)

I usually like maps with water but since most people don't seem to like them and since I have the only "water-capable" nation so far, I guess we can find a map without water (may I ask for one water province though, to make a pond for my kappas? )

EDIT : how about Ringworm or Six Lands then? No sea, pretty balanced...

Last edited by Dark Kitty; September 5th, 2010 at 03:55 PM..
Old September 5th, 2010, 04:03 PM

Captain

LDiCesare is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerius View Post
Though I'm the most anti-water nation player I know, I like having a few water provinces as features to break up the terrain. Would you prefer no water provinces at all or that they just be single provinces, not two or three together?
Zero water province is the best for me. If not, preferably not too many clusters, and no more than 2 provinces together.
Old September 5th, 2010, 07:05 PM

Major General

Ok, I tried to incorporate the suggestions: have some water provinces so that water summons/troops can be obtained but no more than two together.

I cut off the right side of elmokki's Land of Milk and Honey map and eliminated most of the water provinces. There's only five: two sets of 2 and 1 by itself.

It should be around 100 provinces.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	milkandhoney2.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	10420  
Old September 6th, 2010, 08:33 PM

Major

Fantomen is on a distinguished road

Looks ok. So are we ready?
Old September 6th, 2010, 09:38 PM

Major General

Yeah, I figure no objections means everyone is ok with it. I've had very little time for Dominions today but I'll fix up the map ASAP (have to redo the province connections, etc.) and setup the game. Hopefully zlefin is in; if not, then we start with 7 players.