.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old February 4th, 2012, 04:38 PM

Sergeant

Olm is on a distinguished road
Default Some questions

The Ivy Lord has no head slot. Yet when I check protection, a (rather low) value for the head is given. Can he receive a hit to the head?

Sayd Ivy lord uses Stymphalian Wings. He only uses trample, not his weapon. Can a unit not use both, a trample attack and a weapon?

He was not as quick as I expected after quickening song.
How many APs does trample use?

How much fatigue does trample cause (for a unit with encumbrance <>0)?

Is the Armour of Virtue blocked by a Dome in my home province?

Thx for any answer.
Old February 4th, 2012, 05:29 PM

Sergeant

Kobal2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Some questions

Yes, hits to the head happen. That's why there are separate protection ratings. Not sure what the probabilities are off hand.

Pretty sure trample trumps any weapon. You either trample puny yoo-mens, or use your weapons on equal sized foes (or larger).

Trample uses as much AP as simply moving into the square, so 2 for an adjacent one, 3 for a diagonal.

Each square of trampling counts as an attack, so encumbrance*opponenent squares moved into each turn. It adds up really fast, unless you're undead or a construct.

Not sure for the AoV, but I would wager a dome does block it, yes - AFAIK Returning (which is the spell the AoV autocasts when the wearer is damaged) is functionally not different from a Teleport aimed at the capital. I'd test it out in SP before relying on it succeeding.
Old February 4th, 2012, 05:50 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Yes, hits to the head happen. That's why there are separate protection ratings. Not sure what the probabilities are off hand.
Yes I know that, but does the Ivy Lord have a head? As he has no head slot.

Quote:
Pretty sure trample trumps any weapon. You either trample puny yoo-mens, or use your weapons on equal sized foes (or larger).

Trample uses as much AP as simply moving into the square, so 2 for an adjacent one, 3 for a diagonal.
Strange. He has 10 AP before Quickening Song. He shows 10 AP afterwards also (how can I know if he is quickened?)
But he tramples only one square most of the time, sometimes two.
Can trample be repelled?

Quote:
Each square of trampling counts as an attack, so encumbrance*opponenent squares moved into each turn. It adds up really fast, unless you're undead or a construct.
So Stymphalian Wings (flying AND trampling) are really only for Enc=0 units.

Quote:
Not sure for the AoV, but I would wager a dome does block it, yes - AFAIK Returning (which is the spell the AoV autocasts when the wearer is damaged) is functionally not different from a Teleport aimed at the capital. I'd test it out in SP before relying on it succeeding.

Thanks!
Old February 4th, 2012, 05:57 PM

First Lieutenant

Torin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
He has a head in the graphic. But its a good question. Does juggernaut get head hits? Clearly it doesnt have a head.
Old February 5th, 2012, 12:58 AM

Private

el cid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olm View Post
Is the Armour of Virtue blocked by a Dome in my home province?

Thx for any answer.
I have a similar question for when you wish for a unique unit that is already taken by your enemy. If you cast Wish from a province with a Dome, does the dome stop the wished unit from being teleported to your province? And if its a fire dome, does you comander making the wish get fried?

How about seduction or corruption, that takes the enemy comander and flies him back to your home province? If you have a dome in the home province, does it stop it from happening?
Old February 5th, 2012, 02:11 AM

Sergeant

I made tests for Winged Monkeys. The dome doesn't interfere.
Old February 5th, 2012, 02:13 AM

Sergeant

Kobal2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olm View Post
That threw me for a loop, so I ran a few tests. Pazuzu, one of the Demon Lords, who doesn't even have a head still has a head protection rating. A GoR'd and empowered Vastness casting Ironskin also has one, despite it not having an anatomy to begin with.

I think it's safe to say everyone has a head. Even when they don't.

Quote:
Strange. He has 10 AP before Quickening Song. He shows 10 AP afterwards also (how can I know if he is quickened?)
But he tramples only one square most of the time, sometimes two.
Can trample be repelled?
If he still had 10 AP, he probably didn't get quickened. An Ivy King with Boots of Quickness has 20AP. But then, Quickening song doesn't give Quickness. It gives Haste, which cuts the AP needed to move into a square by half. Possibly this doesn't not include trampling attacks ?

That being said, an Ivy King with Stymphalian Wings and Boots of Quickness only seems to trample 2/3 squares per turn rather than the 8/10 I would have expected. So evidently I'm missing something.

Quote:
So Stymphalian Wings (flying AND trampling) are really only for Enc=0 units.
Yup. And large ones at that (because trampling damage is based on size differential). So Golems and Bane Lords, pretty much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el cid
I have a similar question for when you wish for a unique unit that is already taken by your enemy. If you cast Wish from a province with a Dome, does the dome stop the wished unit from being teleported to your province? And if its a fire dome, does you comander making the wish get fried?
Summoning or casting from inside the dome is OK, it's any rituals cast from outside the dome into it that get stopped (including, say, one of your armies trying to Gate in). Doubt it affects seductions (or immortals popping back into existence for example), since they are not rituals per se.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kobal2 For This Useful Post:
Old February 5th, 2012, 07:23 PM

First Lieutenant

Bananadine is on a distinguished road

Returning isn't bothered by domes. It works reliably in very many situations.

By all appearances, the Ivy King has as much of a head as any humanoid creature. I think they left out its head slot in order to express that it's permanently wearing an ivy crown as its "helmet". It can't wear other helmets because then it wouldn't look kingly enough and it wouldn't get its boost in summoning vine men! Or maybe the crown is just part of its body, and therefore nonremovable, and too big to allow hats to fit over it. I don't think they meant to indicate that the creature lacks a head.
Old February 5th, 2012, 07:28 PM

First Lieutenant

Bananadine is on a distinguished road

Also, Pazuzu and the Vastness are explicitly Blind, whereas the Ivy King is not. The latter probably has eyes that can be knocked out, and they are probably in its head.
Old February 6th, 2012, 11:42 AM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road

The ivy lord has a head, but it will not take his crown off. It is his sign of lordship. Nobles... any dwarf fortress player know what we should do with them.
http://wolfsbane.alwaysdata.net/Spells.html
Test stuff, use the debug mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453