.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old May 27th, 2006, 04:52 AM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road
Default How would you equip a Virtue for combat?

I have grown fond of this Pretender, but I'd like to get some tips on how to equip her for combat, especially early on.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old May 27th, 2006, 06:17 AM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How would you equip a Virtue for combat?

Someone after my own heart! I know I just love the Virtue, even if it means I have to spend more points on her than on another Pretender... a half-rainbow Virtue is plain awesome. Granted, it *is* expensive and probably not cost-efficient, but we are talking about a Virtue!

You should give some specifics about your Virtue and her intended role, though. I know mine tend to revolve around spellcasting, at least early on, with Shockwave being their main attack, and buffs their chief defence. So, equipment isn't too important, though I might give them a trinket or two. Later on, just give her your best equipment.
Old May 27th, 2006, 06:47 AM

Lieutenant General

I completely forgot Shockwave!

I intended her to be a Orb Lightning machine with the ability to handle enemies that aren't friend by the spell. I've been toying with Air 9 and Air 5 Astral 3 Virtue.

I've been lately playing Ulm and Arco. I've also been trying Pythium even if I *still* can't play them.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old May 27th, 2006, 12:21 PM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road

I just *love* the virtue and I have used her a lot in MP as pretender for Pythium.

I have found s6, a4 to be (relatively) cheap and efficient. The s6 gives a measure of protection from mind duel the astral buffs the astral battle field killers (such as astral tempest and the global enslave spell) and a possible access to wish. The a4 gives the nice air buffs, accuracy and shock wave.

At the expansion phase I use her as an SC (avoid the tough indies) as the awe and buffs make her untouchable w/o equipment.

As the game progresses I configure her script and equipment according to circumstances. Want her to lead a hugh communion for enslavement? - give her MR penetration and rejuvenation items. You get the idea.

Oh and btw I haven't found any good configuration for the virtue as an anti deamon chassis, in general I found to be to tough for the poor virtue.
Old May 27th, 2006, 01:20 PM

Lieutenant General

Hmmm, I like using the Very Difficult research so researching buffs and Shockwave doesn't happen just as easily as in default games...

- Kristoffer O.
Old May 27th, 2006, 01:44 PM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road

For taking out easy indies (archers, infantry and even barbs) missile shield and mirror image bufs will do, later on add BE and mistform and astral weapon or shield.
Old May 27th, 2006, 08:45 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Nerfix said:
I have grown fond of this Pretender, but I'd like to get some tips on how to equip her for combat, especially early on.
Depends a lot if you are talking abour cb where she is 1a1s, or base which is 2a.
Old May 27th, 2006, 10:14 PM

First Lieutenant

Oversway is on a distinguished road

I always thought cb was a bit of a nerf. That s1 doesn't help, because air and astral don't complement each other well. If anything, they overlap. But maybe I missed something though, and it is certainly thematic.

For hth I usually put a ring of regen and the best low enc armor I can make - robe of inv is ideal if you have the gems Boots of speed are good.

For battlefield spell casting, more reinv items, no enc armor.
Old May 28th, 2006, 01:44 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Oversway said:
I always thought cb was a bit of a nerf. That s1 doesn't help, because air and astral don't complement each other well. If anything, they overlap. But maybe I missed something though, and it is certainly thematic.

Actually, it's a fairly significant boost. With only air she can't fill out her full 5 buffs, and it's expensive getting another path. Being able to cast ethereal and luck reduces the risk of mirror image going down, and makes her more survivable if it does go down. And of course astral shield is all around handy.

The savings from the extra air pick, on the other hand, really only kicks in if you take it very high. And if you want high air, pretenders like the titan might be a better option anyway.
Old May 28th, 2006, 02:29 PM

Colonel

shovah is on a distinguished road

for equipment go naked/light at start and later on add a nice weapon (wraithsword modded, blood thorn, accursed shield and astral weapon unmodded), skullcap (mr is good), rime hauberk/dragon scale armour/jade armour (if you dont take boots of quickness), boots of quickness/chi shoes, cat charm and a final misc (luck pendant if no astral on her, antimagic ammy if enemy has alot of mages, ring of regen for all round ect)