.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old December 15th, 2010, 10:22 PM

Corporal

DeadlyShoe is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Infernal Sword

every 2 ranks of magic above whats needed to cast a spell gets you +1 penetration; there are also items that specifically grant spell penetration
Old December 15th, 2010, 10:36 PM

First Lieutenant

Finalgenesis is on a distinguished road

Rune smasher = 2 inches
Void eye = 2 inches
spell focus = 1 inch
ring of wiz/sorc = 1 inch
And some artifacts

The standard hunter gear is smashher, eye + focus for 5 inches.
Old December 16th, 2010, 01:21 AM

Sergeant

Kobal2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavis_L View Post
No, but the sword onebattlespell-casts Protection of the Sepulchre which somewhat mitigates the effect of Banishment.
The OP seems to assume this spell also protects demons... does it ? I know demons require Undead leadership and share many attributes with undeads (neither eats, neither is affected by Darkness, etc...) but are demons affected by an undead buff ?
Old December 16th, 2010, 10:00 AM

Second Lieutenant

Stavis_L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavis_L View Post
No, but the sword onebattlespell-casts Protection of the Sepulchre which somewhat mitigates the effect of Banishment.
The OP seems to assume this spell also protects demons... does it ? I know demons require Undead leadership and share many attributes with undeads (neither eats, neither is affected by Darkness, etc...) but are demons affected by an undead buff ?
According to DrPraetorius's spell effect database, the Protection of the Sepulchre spell effect has the oUndead flag, which means it should take effect only on undead, not demons.

So, to the OP, not too useful protection wise for your generic demon armies. Mixed demons + undead, however, is a different story. Also, if you're e.g. Lanka, access to higher priest-level demon-only buffs may be a factor.
Brainless Soulless - a fix for Life after Death/Ankh "exploit", Bogarus Scout Fix
Old December 16th, 2010, 03:17 PM

Corporal

Ragnars Wolves is on a distinguished road

However, the description on the sword says the sword protects your 'minions' against the banishment spell....Demons have a problem with the banishment spell. So your saying that the descriptions on the weapons/artifacts etc are not correct in a number of instances?

That for me is just too much micro-management, to have to check the book, or a data base, or a post, to see if the game description is correct on every damn thing.
Old December 16th, 2010, 03:33 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

That is exactly the case. Descriptions are sometimes wrong. The trick is knowing what spells/effects are used so that you're not lead astray. In this case it's protection of the sepulchre, an la ermor national priest spell. So knowing that, you can see why it doesn't protect demons.

That said, if someone made a mod to correct faulty descriptions in game, I'm sure it would be used. The only problem with that is all the long-time players already know better.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old December 16th, 2010, 04:23 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

GrudgeBringer is an unknown quantity at this point

It is a tedious road I agree, and I also wish there was somehow to look everything up easily. But this game is in fact a older game with a dedicated base that DOES know the ropes. And if your not willing to put the time in to discover what these things do and how they react....then you are doomed to a lot of anger that things just don't seem to work right.
Old December 16th, 2010, 04:44 PM

Corporal

Ragnars Wolves is on a distinguished road

Well, actually I understand that this is an older game (and if it wasn't for the modders it would be at a standstill), and those that play it are pretty rabid about the game and I can see why.

I just personally don't have the desire, computer skills, or time, to look up everything in here to make sure it works the way it is supposed to. The community is GREAT in answering questions, but sometimes you don't know which questions to ask. The manual (except for some few parts) is almost worthless with all the new changes over the years, and if it wasn't for those who mod this game...there more than likely wouldn't be a community as it is.

I have met a number of people on here that I count as friends and for the most part are a pretty decent lot.

think I will finish my games (as I am not the sort that bails) to the best of my ability and go back to games more to my skill set. Thanks Dad (GrudgeBringer), for getting me involved and I gave it a go, and hope I didn't embarrass you.

Thanks to all that have helped me, and to finish my games I may need to ask a few more questions. Other than that I will be pretty quiet.
Old December 17th, 2010, 12:21 AM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnars Wolves View Post
I just personally don't have the desire, computer skills, or time, to look up everything in here to make sure it works the way it is supposed to.
You should have seen Dominions_2... LOL. After reading an items history usually you'd still have no clue if the item/artifact was any good.
In Dominions_2 you had to either search the forums and/or test the items/artifacts. As a result I first placed the Amon Hotep helm on the head of a Telestic Animate(statue) which was underwater. LOL
Old December 17th, 2010, 12:35 PM

Private

ExHeretic is on a distinguished road

i'm not going to even talk about the taxes in dom 2. Not too long ago i put that stone plate armor on my bane lord thugs and i was wondering why do they go down so easily even against chaff. The ones that had full black steel armor were doing just fine with less prot. The reason was that the armor i used reduce the frost resistance. Having less than 100 FR on a thug with frost aura = dead thug

Mistakes like that are actually quite funny afterwards

The learning curve is actually the biggest reason to play "some" sp before going mp. and by some i mean lot because learning by making mistakes is so much less painsome against the AI

In one of the LP's in goons forum someone put dominions in a nutshell by saying "i wish i knew that before"