Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old October 14th, 2007, 07:10 PM

Corporal

AstralWanderer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Compression

Arralen said:
Why use a poor substitute to the real thing - especially if it's free and opensource anyway?

Because the "real thing" doesn't handle as many filetypes (.ace being the main omission), lacks shell integration options and uses a non-standard, IMHO revolting (pink!) colour in highlighting selected items.

Aside from that, it's quite OK. I prefer IZArc though - ZipGenius has acute featuritis while TugZip (a close second) has a rather awkward interface.

This is going OT though...
Old October 14th, 2007, 08:24 PM

Sergeant

Ironmanbc is on a distinguished road

there is alot of compression programs out there, I stick to ones that are most common
Old October 15th, 2007, 03:15 AM

First Lieutenant

se5a is on a distinguished road

people use .ace?

I've found that the most used is .zip, after that it's rar.
Ive rarely if ever seen anything else used, however 7zip is very popular due to the open source thing, it also doesnt have all the crap nag/addware that some of the other *free* ones have.
Old October 15th, 2007, 10:57 AM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road

How about we stick to discussion about the mod and how many bugs it has in v1.10?
Old October 15th, 2007, 01:30 PM

Colonel

Q is on a distinguished road

Kwok in the AI minister file you have the number of minister = 55 but there are 56 ministers listed.
Old October 15th, 2007, 05:34 PM

Private

DrewBlack is on a distinguished road
Default 1.10

hI

Excellatn work as ususal, one question how long before the Ai is updated to 1.10?? days/weeks??

Thanks
Drew
Old October 16th, 2007, 03:24 AM

Major General

Arralen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1.10

• AI/Autodesign puts "Crew Quarters" and "Live Support" into O, not I, even if there's plenty of room in I left.
  • Colonizer get send and park over suitable worlds forever, if the AI is not allowed to build in that system because of a treaty (maybe hardcoded).
  • Colonizers (AI) should not carry ordnance storage.
  • Sometimes "autodesign" does not work (haven't noted down when it happened exactly, most likely was an "Explorer" design early in the game.
Old October 16th, 2007, 04:06 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
DrewBlack said:Excellatn work as ususal, one question how long before the Ai is updated to 1.10??
About -2 days? 1.10 includes updated AI.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old October 16th, 2007, 04:15 AM

Major General

Saber Cherry is on a distinguished road

Maybe bugs:

AI still likes to request aid from me often, but rejects aid when I offer it. I don't really think the AI should ever reject a gift of resources...

An AI empire sent some destroyers to hammer my undefended colonies. The destroyers were armed with level 3 Meson Blasters. And after shooting long enough to run out of supplies, they still never killed a single population. This was on 2 different planets. I guess it is due to the 50% ground damage multiplier and high population structure, but it seems really wierd, and cripples the AI's ability to wage war.

Trade Treaty % is messed up (probably the game engine). In the text file, you seem to have set it to max at 12%, in 2% increments. In the game, it is still displayed as 5% increments up to 30%, in the treaty setup screen. However, I have 4 trade treaties, and for each of them I selected 30% max. Two max at 12%, one maxxed at 17%, and one at 27%. It's kind of baffling...

More like anomalies:

Small Ordinance Vat and Large Ordinance Vat are proportionately different in terms of storage generation. Maybe this is intentional, but I would have expected one to be exactly 4x of the other.

Weapon Platform and Satellite Cores both store twice as much supply per kT as supply storage.

Mine Layer gains a level every tech level, while Fighter Bay, Drone Launcher, and Sat Bay all gain a level every 2 tech levels. This means mine layers can quickly pass up cargo bays in storage/kT, which is strange.

Fighter Engines got twice as good (since fighters need half as many points per move now) but afterburners stayed the same. So now, afterburners are really pathetic. Perhaps 1 kT size would be better?

Because Fighter Rocket Pods can now target... everything, they are utterly devastating in fighter battles. In 1.09, I was using rocket pods for anti-ship fighters and APBs for anti-fighter fighters. But if a rocket fighter can kill a beam fighter so fast that they each only shoot each other once, then rocket fighters become the best in all situations, rendering other weapons irrelevant. Ordinance is a non-issue, since rocket pods already contain enough for 500 damage, and fighters generally die or win before using it all.
Old October 16th, 2007, 10:26 AM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Arralen said:
  • AI/Autodesign puts "Crew Quarters" and "Live Support" into O, not I, even if there's plenty of room in I left.
  • Colonizer get send and park over suitable worlds forever, if the AI is not allowed to build in that system because of a treaty (maybe hardcoded).
  • Colonizers (AI) should not carry ordnance storage.
  • Sometimes "autodesign" does not work (haven't noted down when it happened exactly, most likely was an "Explorer" design early in the game.
There's no way to tell how many inner versus outer slots remain on a design, so sometimes LS or CQ are placed on the outer slots to

The colonizers will get new orders. It might take a turn or two until another colonizable planet crops up though.

Colonizers carry ordnance storage so that the colonies they found have some ordnance.