Notices

Old January 9th, 2012, 05:15 PM

Private

Judicator65 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: creating a new, fictional oob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
Quote:
I think your proportions are a little off. Remember that points are supposed to represent the combat effectiveness of a unit, and the whole point of the books is that earth units were _always_ outmatched.
Yes. I know that points usually represent effectiveness rather than actual cost, and I also know why the developers chose to do that (because if gamers tried playing the Iraqis or North Koreans and found that they were hopelessly outgunned *and* outnumbered, they would complain even more than they already do). But if the Posleen had to fight man to man, I think I just might start seeing the opposite problem.

For what it's worth, I did pull a near-win against them. Playing the Swiss. In the Alps. In December. In extreme low-visibility conditions.
Well, part of the problem as well is that the way the Posleen function is "alien" to the way the SP engine is designed. For example, tenars should really have TSI/GSR level sensors, which would mean that they probably should have done better in your Alpine scenario. Also, there's no real way to model the way that the normals would just pour ridiculous amounts of fire in the general direction of incoming fire. This was one of the big things, after all; unless a sniper got his shot lost in the "noise" of a lot of outgoing fire, the second he took his shot, he'd get plastered by hundreds of weapons plastering his position. Basically, there's no real provision currently for the way Posleen would blind-fire at anything that looked remotely like a threat.

There was a comment about another scenario that might be up your alley as well, I think it was a defense against the North Vietnamese where all the snipers had to just keep firing and couldn't move, simply because of the incoming hordes.

Edit - Sorry, it was the USMC vs NKorea, in fact, almost the very first scenario: 001, Obong-Ni Ridge.

Last edited by Judicator65; January 9th, 2012 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: Found correct scenario.
Old January 9th, 2012, 06:39 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: creating a new, fictional oob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judicator65 View Post
For example, tenars should really have TSI/GSR level sensors, which would mean that they probably should have done better in your Alpine scenario.
Not sure how high a value WinSPMBT can handle for TSI/GSR (at least 60), but 120 should be about right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judicator65 View Post
Also, there's no real way to model the way that the normals would just pour ridiculous amounts of fire in the general direction of incoming fire.
You could sort of model this by making the squads as big as WinSPMBT can handle (20? 50? never tried to see how many men is max in a squad). And of course they will only have a single weapon (slot 1) which you could tinker with to create values for shotguns and 1mm railguns.

Huge squads also has the advantage of being hard to destroy with anything other then artillery or other AoE weapons. AND makes them more vulnerable to such weapons since the hex is "crowded".

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein