This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old February 11th, 2006, 03:14 PM

Sergeant

hoplitis is on a distinguished road
Default Can the AI remount previously dismounted troops?

When playing against the computer we have all seen the AI dismount/disembark troops from trucks, APCs, helos, zodiacs etc. Has anyone noticed the AI remount/reembark the above troops to relocate and unload them elsewhere on the map? (I haven 't).
Old February 11th, 2006, 04:33 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Can the AI remount previously dismounted troops?

Effectively no, it does not.

There is some code in there to do so, but it is very simplistic.

And the APCs usually have separated too far (even if they are still alive) from the grunts by the time it applies.

SP mech/motor inf is really there to simply move the grunts to the battlefield. In scenarios therefore, any mech/motor troops intended to counter attack must start mounted in thier rides.

Cheers
Andy
Old February 11th, 2006, 05:45 PM

Sergeant

So an unarmed A.I. transport (i.e. a truck) after unloading the unit it carries has effectively completed its mission in the game. Wouldn't it be logical for those unarmed transports to retreat offmap ?. This would remedy somewhat the famous "OP fire draining" issue and would also give the human player less targets (somewhat more difficult game against the AI). Is this doable codewise?
Old February 12th, 2006, 04:14 AM

Sergeant

And to correct myself:
AI unarmed transports are not such an important factor in "OP fire draining". Still, retreating them offmap after they unload their cargo seems logical. Any comments?
Old February 13th, 2006, 09:41 AM

I have something in testing now, that replaces the original code completely. Will see if it works.

1) Unloaded unarmed APC and trucks want to retire out of the conflict zone (say 20 hexes from enemy) so will retire if necessary to keep the 20 hex separation. (This could be off map - so if you try to chase empty trucks they may frustrate your attempt to get the kill points by running off the end zone !

That was the initial module grafted on - originally unloaded unarmed APC and trucks had no 20 hex separation rule and just did a "Brave Sir Robin" towards the baseline and hence eventually off-map !

then I messed about with an experimental APC load-up routine:

2) If an APC or truck is unloaded and is >20 hexes from enemy, it will select a candidate grunt within 20 hexes (will fit load capacity, is not running away etc), who is himself also outside 20 hexes from enemy, and motor towards him to pick up. First candidate grunt is one of own platoon, next in priority are those outside the transports platoon.

This rule should allow AI reserve mech inf and truck formations in the delay or defend to mount up grunts (if far enough away from the action when the counter-attack flag is set).

3) Once loaded, normal rules apply. (there is no sophisticated loading to capacity etc, just pick 1 grunt or team and go).

4) On unloading of grunts the APC, assuming it has some MP left, may retire a few hexes (using reverse sometimes, and I may get it to pop smoke before it reverses, working on that). Unarmed trucks and APC will continue then to retire to a safe 1KM distance from the firefight. Armed APC and trucks will support the infantry as usual.

5)If a human player puts such a formation under local AI control through the HQ menu, the above applies. (That may well be a useful technique for a reserve mech platoon/coy to let it get on with the mounting of the troops itself and start off towards the battle, before returning it to human control ??)

All in test at the moment - so it may go horribly wrong and need deleting if it breaks something in the spaghetti, but initial testing looks promising. (I cannot think of any scenario that relies on kamikaze unarmed trucks or APC?).

Andy
Old February 13th, 2006, 03:59 PM

Sergeant

What about unarmed trasport helos, landing crafts etc?

As to the specifics of the subroutine... Boy, so many questions (How is the "conflict zone" defined, retreat towards the baseline or towards a direction of "fastest and secure retreat", can favorable terrain be exploited, are the 20 hexes enough taking the increased range of modern weapons and so on...). But again better to keep it simple.
Can the retreat distance (RD) be related with the time frame of the scenario? 20 hexes may be considered "safe" in the '50s, but in 2010? Maybe something simple as an RD per decade. But then you are introducing a variable in place of a constant......
Ok enough brain(?)storming.
Old February 13th, 2006, 06:48 PM

BANNED USER

Mustang is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Can the AI remount previously dismounted troop

How about you just have them retreat out of LOS of the front line or 20 hexes, whichever is greater? 20 hexes is only 1000 meters, which is usually enough but sometimes you have a very large open area to retreat across.

About helicopters and landing ships, they shouldn't be reatreated unless they're unarmed. It's SOP in most armies for transport helos to stick around and provide cover fire. Besides, the AI might need them later to withdraw, which is what happens a lot in airmobile assaults. About ships, landing ships are usually pretty beat-up on contact with the beachhead (this is why in training everoyone goes to shore in zodiacs because the real transports are too expensive to waste) and their hulls can only take 3-4 landings on a beach, which is usually rocky and/or muddy. So they're designed to be expendable and are usually left where they are unless they're needed later.
Old February 14th, 2006, 06:17 AM

Major

Marek_Tucan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Can the AI remount previously dismounted troop

Wow, that sounds great, hope it'll go well with the C spaghetti ;o)
Old February 14th, 2006, 10:40 AM

the helo code already drops troops at the LZ, and then unarmed transport helos go home. Transport helos with armamaent (e.g Soviet mil with loads of RP) will stay around as fire support.

AI heliborne trops are strictly a one-shot insertion per battle.

Andy
Old February 14th, 2006, 02:22 PM

Sergeant

I'm insisting on the unarmed helos issue because I played a campaign battle where:
1)the AI inserted heliborn troops at the opening turns and
2)around midgame I found four unarmed trasnport helos near the AI baseline with minimal or no activity. I dont think that they were "loaded".
So the question is:
Can the designer "override" the SOP you describe (unload and go home)or is this behavior "bug"ish ?