.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

View Poll Results: Your highest Priority choice (devs should work on this foremost)
AI Improvement 19 14.50%
Tac. Engine (script options, etc.) 22 16.79%
Improved modding and game rules externalization 3 2.29%
More Content (spells, nations, sites, terrain, etc.) 10 7.63%
New Major Rules (such as bless effects, new research path, the way experience works, terrain effects on units, dynamic troop cost, etc.) 16 12.21%
New Functionality (e.g. Ally Interface Screen, Disband Troops) 12 9.16%
Better graphics, sounds or other look/feel 3 2.29%
Balance Changes (e.g. to SCs, Wrathful Skies, Castling, Water Magic, etc.) 12 9.16%
User Interface improvements (anything from new messaging system, tactical battle-orders screens to hotkeying, bloodhunting/slave micromanagement issues and order-tracking) 32 24.43%
Other (Please specify) 2 1.53%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 12th, 2005, 12:42 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

tinkthank is on a distinguished road
Default New Poll: What is it you want most from Dom3?

With Pocus' permission and encouragement, here a new Dom3 poll. Pocus would like 100 respondents; I am not good enough at statistics to know what may be "representative", but 100 sounds good. Anyhow, hope this is ok.

The poll contains 3 questions, the choices are all identical, this just lets you prioritize 3 choices from the the field as to first, second, and third priority.

I have differentiated Pocus' original excellent choices a tiny bit, hope this is ok.
Still, some of the choices may have redundant aspects, but sorry, I am a bit pressed for time right now.
I also feel there are at least 2 types of UI improvements that have been asked for: Those that explicitly affect the way micromanagement can be reduced (e.g. Bloodhunting/slave tracking, commander-finding, issuing monthly orders, etc.) and those of a more global nature (rehaul of screens, message system, game setup (mercs on/off, etc.), etc.). I think these could be differentiated, but there was consensus in the other poll thread to combine them, so I am doing so here. But if you want a more differentiated poll, I could take suggestions and redo that.
Thanks much
Old January 12th, 2005, 01:39 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Pocus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Poll: What is it you want most from Dom3?

I would like to specify that (for me at least):

tac engine upgrade: including more scripting options but also new rules of engagements, eg: skirmishers, perhaps the effect of formation or momentum of cavalry, etc.

new functionnality is rather close to new rules. i.e adding an ally screen mean you want some diplomacy, so its new major rules.

in user interface some more examples: how to find a specific item or a class of item in your empire (I think everybody is searching for his dwarven hammers each turn!), a summary of items worn by leaders, monthly forging, how to pool intelligently slaves (not on the ones doing sacrifice, etc.)...
Old January 12th, 2005, 03:51 PM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road

I would like to specify my choice.
I think first and foremost priority is to reduce micromanagment.
Old January 12th, 2005, 04:02 PM

Private

TheBirthdayParty is on a distinguished road

My other was changing provinces to be "areas" instead, and have them in the shape of a hexagon. Trying to hold a front against an opposing AI with having to worry about a squiggily border line of a couple of provinces is annoying, and not un a fun strategic sense, but in an ANNOYING sense.
Old January 13th, 2005, 09:04 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Yes, sorry Pocus, new rules in the tac engine should have been mentioned as an example (I personally voted for this Category as 2nd priority, because I would wish for 2 things in this area:
1. some type of system which allows us to specify which *Types* of spells could get casted after the script runs out (e.g. summons, buff, damage) AND allows us checkboxes for "NEVER CAST THIS SPELL" (such as Breath of Winter), and 2. New Command: Guard Area / Hold Position, as well as a
3. new Formation Screen: Phalanx, Square, Line, Default)

I'm still not really happy with the poll, I did it in a hurry, but I hope it may end up being useful to someone.
Old January 14th, 2005, 10:21 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

54 votes and climbing. Perhaps 100 is reachable, and hopefully will be of use to Illwinter.
Old January 16th, 2005, 12:33 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Over 70 now, that's friendly.
I dont want to say anything now so as to avoid influencing future voters. Do however find the results quite interesting, especially one Category which I had not quite expected.
I just wanted to post briefly and try to elaborate on the difference between "New Rule" and "New Functionality", the latter Category I had added in this poll. I imagine the difference to be something like this:
- New Rule: In-game change or addition, such as would be implementable with the current game mechanics. Another example of this type could be introducing physical damage types (Piercing, Slashing, Blunt) and different types of protection effectiveness against these three types.
- New Functionality: A change or addition which could either not be implemented with current game mechanics or affects the extra-game configurations, such as game setup, saving, etc.
Hope this is helpful.
Old January 20th, 2005, 07:55 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

83 votes -- interesting! Could the "others" please specify their "other" votes?
Old January 20th, 2005, 02:44 PM

Captain

atul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
tinkthank said:
Could the "others" please specify their "other" votes?
Hm, since my "other" wasn't lost in the crowd after all (damn), I'll say what I should have said days ago.

My first choice being "other", because the one thing I'd like to see most is for the guys who made Dom1 and Dom2 to stay true to their vision. The games are great, although I may have to accuse some Swedes for causing me to miss my master thesis deadlines later during this spring.

Anyway, not knowing what's already different in the third edition, I don't feel I can give as good wishes as I'd like to. I know from reading the Fraq newsletter excerpts that a lot has changed, though.

My secondary and tertiary wishes go to improving UI and stuff, as people need to be pushed to do things they don't like doing, the fun things get done easier.

Okay, how's that for a fanboy rant? Better stop now...
Old January 21st, 2005, 03:51 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

14 to go... we are hitting a hard limit