Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
Randomocalypse - 5 players, randomly generated nations - Squirrelloid wins! - Page 3 - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old October 27th, 2011, 01:37 PM

Sergeant

P3D is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Randomocalypse - 5 players, randomly generated nations - Nations being generated

Of my choices, Redka.
Old October 27th, 2011, 01:45 PM

Second Lieutenant

Korwin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Randomocalypse - 5 players, randomly generated nations - Nations being generated

...What should I choose...

Harder than I thought...
Old October 27th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

I'd like Yellowea of mine.

Ulm: Order of the Black Rose - Reimagining MA Ulm

A more Sombre forum: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?.act=idx. Now with more Maerlande.
Old October 27th, 2011, 02:30 PM

Corporal

Lung Drago is on a distinguished road

All of my choices are definitely difficult in some way. It either has crappy mages, or crappy priests, or giant infantry, or it's troops apparently don't know what is a sword. I shall have a challenge in this game, that's for sure But I suppose I cannot expect it to hand me a perfect, unconquerable nation on a plate
Teh random nation generator still has a lot of space to improve, since some combinations I have just witnessed are a waste of unit's abbilities or outright illogical for a serious game (having move 3 units is not so great when you have no move 3 commanders, isn't it? Or what real use is having a selection of 2 archer cavalry, when one is clearly superior to the other with only a slight difference in resources cost?). But then again if this worked flawlessly it would be The Single Marvel of Designing Let us make a good use of this situation and if you lose this game, remember it can be blamed on the generator!
Also, I expect every nation will need to have different flag color. If a conflict with another player's national flag should arise with mine, I voluntarily hand over the green slimy flag in favor of a shiny yellow, for example
Old October 27th, 2011, 02:36 PM

Major General

Valerius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelloid View Post
well, i didn't even see this in time, obviously, but i didn't look any farther than my third nation and i have 2 interesting choices.
Yeah, I realized you hadn't had time to respond but didn't want to leave anyone out when I sent the nations and I figured you could do exactly what you did in order to limit your choices. Though I have to admit if I took that approach I would be very tempted to check the other nations after I chose, just to see what I might have missed out on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelloid View Post
I've been helping Elmokki with some of the balance formulae, so I can tell you that its kind of rough and unit synergies won't necessarily get factored in very well. So there is probably significant slop. Choosing 1 of 5 nations should let people account for this i would hope.
One area of synergies that comes to mind is hot/cold nations. You are unlikely to get an entire troop/commander lineup that is immune to an element. OTOH I find you frequently get better magic diversity than most of the base game nations since you don't have the common pattern of a nation's weaker mages having a subset of the stronger mage's paths. Now some of those magic paths will be low level but it's enough to site search and forge some basic items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korwin View Post
...What should I choose...

Harder than I thought...
I think this is a good sign. When I quickly looked over the nations before sending them out I didn't have any WTF reactions like when I first saw Hinnom. I'm not at all claiming there's perfect balance but I don't think any of these nations will warrant a dogpile just based on their lineup.
Old October 27th, 2011, 02:55 PM

Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lung Drago View Post
All of my choices are definitely difficult in some way. It either has crappy mages, or crappy priests, or giant infantry, or it's troops apparently don't know what is a sword. I shall have a challenge in this game, that's for sure But I suppose I cannot expect it to hand me a perfect, unconquerable nation on a plate
I don't think you would have wanted that perfect nation anyway: since diplomacy is allowed your perfect nation might have been facing a 3 or 4 vs 1. So it would have had to have been *really* good to face those odds.

Quote:
Teh random nation generator still has a lot of space to improve, since some combinations I have just witnessed are a waste of unit's abbilities or outright illogical for a serious game (having move 3 units is not so great when you have no move 3 commanders, isn't it? Or what real use is having a selection of 2 archer cavalry, when one is clearly superior to the other with only a slight difference in resources cost?). But then again if this worked flawlessly it would be The Single Marvel of Designing Let us make a good use of this situation and if you lose this game, remember it can be blamed on the generator!
I see what you're saying but some of this doesn't bother me, like having map move 3 units without map move 3 commanders. I kind of like that you've got these pieces and you have to figure out ways to get the best use out of them. For instance, I play MA Van a lot and there you have flying valkyries without any flying commanders. And your stealthy commanders don't have a foot slot so even with a forge bonus forging a magic carpet for each valk-leading commander isn't cheap. You've also got skinshifters with forest survival but none of your commanders have that ability so depending on the map I look for indie mages to help out in leading them over forest terrain.

Quote:
Also, I expect every nation will need to have different flag color. If a conflict with another player's national flag should arise with mine, I voluntarily hand over the green slimy flag in favor of a shiny yellow, for example
Yes, I figured I'd have to do some switching of colors. If anyone has a preferred color let me know and I'll use that. I don't remember if the flag colors always get used in the same order (in which case you will all have the same 5 colors in your nation choices) but there are a total of 14 different colors included in the mod. In any case, I'll definitely avoid you having to use green.
Old October 27th, 2011, 05:00 PM

Corporal

Jiggymike is on a distinguished road

Hey I'm definitely going to be at least a few hours before I check my nations, sorry. I suspect I'm in a different time zone than everyone else and I don't have my computer with me today at school. However, I'll have it selected by tonight for sure so you can all start coming up with pretenders to destroy me with!
Old October 27th, 2011, 05:41 PM

Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggymike View Post
Hey I'm definitely going to be at least a few hours before I check my nations, sorry.
No worries, take the time you need.

I also wanted to remind everyone to check their capitol magic sites to see which of their units are cap only - these do not necessarily match vanilla or cbm. For instance, I ran a set of test nations and a mage that is normally cap only was cap only in one of the random nations but recruit everywhere in another.
Old October 27th, 2011, 11:13 PM

Corporal

Jiggymike is on a distinguished road

I really like two of my choices but I thiiiink I'm going to go with Blue. Do me a little favor and give them a better name than Bluthan, thanks. Hope I'm not making a mistake by turning down those hydras!
Old October 28th, 2011, 02:45 AM

Second Lieutenant

elmokki is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Teh random nation generator still has a lot of space to improve, since some combinations I have just witnessed are a waste of unit's abbilities or outright illogical for a serious game (having move 3 units is not so great when you have no move 3 commanders, isn't it? Or what real use is having a selection of 2 archer cavalry, when one is clearly superior to the other with only a slight difference in resources cost?).
Then again some vanilla nations do have similiar "problems" more or less. I wouldn't be too worried if a nation gets couple of units (out of 6) that they will never recruit. An another issue is if the nation gets a powerful (powerful from the program's viewpoint) troop lineup and all the heavy infantry is utter crap or something.