The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old November 23rd, 2005, 08:01 AM

Brigadier General

Raging Deadstar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: You Learn Something New Every Day.

Personally I just give into the giant monsters like Gamespot and IGN for a couple of minutes.

Sure they rarely list niche games but for new/popular games it's rare I can't find the recommended specs on there.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 11:28 PM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
AgentZero said:
I've yet to see a game that didn't list both, and I look at a good few.
Just bought Doom 3. It only lists Minimum specs.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old November 24th, 2005, 06:24 AM

Corporal

luke_slovakian is on a distinguished road

LoL...i just got age of empires 3. I CANT PLAY it!!! it requires windows xp, i love that bloody microsoft company. Oh well i guess i can live without it.

But if u want good card get an ati 9800, its cheap 2:-)...i have 9600 xt and i can run doom3 or half life 2 w/ nothing bad, note at high setting. Friend has 512 more ram n runs at full setting.
Old November 24th, 2005, 12:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

kerensky is on a distinguished road

I have found that in general, ATI cards are more stable and run better than NVidia cards. I'm not sure if this is true overall, but I have found this true with like eight different cards.

For example, in my old desktop, I used to have a game that should not have run on the ATI card that I had, but it would run on low settings. A few months later I got an NVidia card that more than exceeded the games requirements, but the game would only run well at low or medium settings.

A-- Se GdY $ Fr! Csc Cst Ai++ Au M++ MpD MpT MpM S- Ss++++ RY Pw- Fq Nd Rp+ G++ Mm++ Bb
Old November 24th, 2005, 04:11 PM

First Lieutenant

Xrati is on a distinguished road

False advertising for the sake of selling product. What's in a little white lie anyhow? RIGHT? Just get used to the fact that we are all left on our own to get these products we buy, to run. I've had some games that require you to overhaul your computer to run them. It's ridiculous that you should have to go through all that to get something to run and then undo it to get back to where you started. I had an Apple (many many years ago) and they specified all hardware requirements for their systems (the original plug n play). Microsoft has failed to set down hardware requirements for it's software (like DirectX) and now we pay the price trying to get things to work on our computers.
Old November 24th, 2005, 04:30 PM

Captain

AgentZero is on a distinguished road

Speaking of overhauling your computer to get games to run... I got Civ4 & AOE3 as early Christmas presents, and both of them required some work to get going. AOE3 wasn't too bad, I just needed to run a patch since I couldn't get passed the first mission because a bit of audio wasn't playing which was preventing the trigger for the events that let you win to go off.
Civ4 on the other hand... When I try to start it, it doesn't work, but there's a post on the forum about how to fix my particular error. First they tell you to uninstall Civ4, then uninstall your video drivers, then RE-install Civ4, install the newest video drivers and if (read: when) that doesn't work, you have to download an unpacker program and unpack one of the big artwork files (which takes about 25 min), then backup the artwork file somewhere and try again. Now, this works, but it's a PITA to have to go through all that to get a game to work. And apparently this bug only affected ATI cards. Did they not bother testing it on an ATI equipped machine? Gah!
Still, both good games once they're working.
Old November 24th, 2005, 06:27 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

From what I've heard, Quake 4 isn't very interesting anyway. That it uses the Doom 3 engine and so has impressive graphics if you run it on the latest hardware, is reported as about the only strong point.

PvK
Old November 24th, 2005, 07:27 PM

Captain

Kana is on a distinguished road

There is a patch out for civ 4...1.09...I think it addresses some issues with the ATI graphics problem...

Read about it here... www.civfantics.com

Kana
Old November 25th, 2005, 02:31 AM

First Lieutenant

Xrati is on a distinguished road

This is why, as a rule, I never run out to get any programs right away. I wait for at least the first patch or more before I purchase. This is one reason that another post talked about Microsoft saying that the PC software sales are dying. It's not the software, but people are buying products that are faulty right out of the box and like myself wait to hear the initial reviews about the product before they purchase. Software companies need to start releasing products that are readily playable out of the box, NOT after a first or second patch fixes problems AND after a while all support for the product is pulled.