This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old January 7th, 2003, 03:24 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road
Default OT: Movies You Have Seen Lately

Just thought I would say a few words about the movies I have seen lately. (Including DVD ones.)

Movies in Theaters

1. Catch me if you can.
I really liked this movie. I did not think I would, but I have to admit, I am going to go see it agian. A great cast from Christopher Walkens though Tom Hanks. Very interesting movie.

2. The two towers.
I liked this moive about as much as I liked the first one. Although this movie seems like it is missing about an hour or so of footage, and does not do much for developing the characters.

3. Nemesis
Not the best Star Trek movie I have seen, but never the less, a good flick to watch. I really think Brent Spiner did an awsome job in this movie as his performace is the one that just sticks out in this movie. The ending where he is about to die, and sacerfices his life without so much as a word to Picard was IMHO, great acting. Too bad there will never be another movie with Data.

4. 007 Die another day
Why did they make this movie? This was the worst Bond movie I have seen since Dalton was making them. It seems like each new Bond flick is worse than the one before it. Hell Triple X made a better Bond movie than this one.

DVD's

1. Ecks Vs Sever
Racidedly rotten flick with the worst kind of plot I have ever seen. This movie should never have been made.

2. I See You.
A Sly Stallon movie that is actually very good. It has an alstar cast that really do a good job here. I liked the suspense of the movie, and felt the plot, although weak, worked well because of the performances. Not a high standard for picture quality, but still a good movie. Reminded me in a way of the Thing with Kurt Russel.

3. Triple X
Oddly enough this movie was a good movie. It was what the latest Bond flick should have been. I like Vin as an actor, and feel he did a good job here. The movie was interesting, funny, and kept you wanting more right to the end. Not bad for a Bond spin off.

4. Blood work.
Not a bad movie for Clint, but horribly predictable.

5. Pluto Nash
I liked the movie. I really did. I felt it was a fun romp and it should have gotten better reviews. Eddie did a good job in this movie as it had a good atomsphere, and was moderatly intersting. I liked the DUC hand guns. Very cool.

[ January 07, 2003, 13:25: Message edited by: Atrocities ]
Old January 7th, 2003, 04:18 PM

General

David E. Gervais is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Movies I Have Seen Lately

Don't worry about the 'missing hour' in the Two Towers, I'm sure it will find it's way onto the DVD!
Old January 8th, 2003, 04:47 AM

Corporal

Dobian is on a distinguished road

I saw Catch Me If You Can Last week. I actually read the book back in the 80's, and thought at the time, "This would make a great movie". I was really surprised when I heard they made a movie about it, because the book was written so long ago (and I figured was out of print), I couldn't imagine someone actually remembered it. The movie is pretty close to the book, although they emphasize his relationships with his family and with his pursuer more in the movie than in the book. In the book, he's just too busy having fun with his secret life to care about anything else.

The Pan Am part is the same as I remembered it from the book. The way did the checks and the fake i.d., etc. Same with his stint as the doctor. In the book, he poses as a college professor, while in the movie, they have him pulling that trick while he's in high school (though he may have done it there too). In the book, he explains that he passed the Bar after the third try. After the first two tries, he would get the test back with the correct answers and explanations, and he would simply memorize the correct answers - some of which would be recycled on the next test. This was glossed over in the movie. In the book, he gets caught in Sweden, and spends time in a prison that's more like a country club. This wasn't included in the movie (due to time limitations, I'm sure). He thought it would be the same deal in France, and was sorely mistaken. The book ends with him escaping through the toilet trap in the airplane. Good book, good movie.
Old January 8th, 2003, 04:51 AM

Brigadier General

TerranC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Atrocities:
1. Ecks Vs Sever
Racidedly rotten flick with the worst kind of plot I have ever seen. This movie should never have been made.
The title itself is a put off-what kind of name is Ecks?

Download Sev Today! --- Download BOB and SOCk today too! --- Thanks to Fyron and Trooper for hosting.

Old January 8th, 2003, 05:23 AM

Brigadier General

mac5732 is on a distinguished road

Just watched the movie Signs with Mel Gibson, I didn't get to see it at the show.... good movie
at least I liked it

just some ideas Mac

BEWARE; crochety old geezers play SE4, in between bathroom runs
Phong's Head Parking
Old January 8th, 2003, 05:33 AM

General

Ragnarok is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by mac5732:
Just watched the movie Signs with Mel Gibson, I didn't get to see it at the show.... good movie
at least I liked it

just some ideas Mac
That movie is awesome! I got to see it in a theatre and it was really good. I'll probably either rent it or buy it on DVD to watch again.
They were armed. With guns, said Omari.
Canadians. With guns. And a warship. What is this world coming to?
The dreaded derelict dwelling two ton devil bunny!
Every ship can be a minesweeper... Once
Old January 8th, 2003, 06:43 AM

Lieutenant General

Kamog is on a distinguished road

I finally saw The Two Towers Last week. It was really good!

That day, they showed the previews for X-Men II and Terminator 3. Looks like there's going to be several good movies scheduled for this year. Matrix II and III are supposed to come out this year, too, and of course the third Lord of the Rings movie near the end of the year. I really liked the first two Terminator movies, so I can't wait to see #3. This time, there's a super advanced cyborg, even more advanced than the T-1000, the T-X, that is sent back in time to kill John Conner. And Schwarzenegger's in it too, of course.
Old January 8th, 2003, 06:46 AM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

So, do we get a T-1000 on the good guy's side then?
Old January 10th, 2003, 07:48 AM

Sergeant

zen. is on a distinguished road

If he is a T-1000, he certainly looks like the good ole T-800 model (Arnie). The new T-X is played by Kristanna Loken, who, if anyone recalls, played the nice-on-the-eyes thief on the short-lived TV show Mortal Kombat: Conquest.

I'm adding Equilibrium to the list. It was a good film suffering from black sheep syndrome; Dimension Films barely released this one (only 200-300 theaters around the U.S.). I managed to see it twice before it left the theaters after 3 weeks.

It's about a dystopic, Orwellian future where feelings are a crime and punishable by death. Everyone is kept pleasantly drugged and productive members of society. Christian Bale stars as a Grammaton Cleric, the elite enforcers of this totalitarian regime. It's basically a coming-of-senses story. The martial arts and gunplay are excellent, fused into a new form called 'Gun Kata'. Very nice action scenes, especially considering the low budget the movie was under. Sean Bean (Boromir) was also in this movie; I almost didn't recognize him without the mucho hair.

Another castoff from Dimension Films was a film called 'Below'. A WWII U.S. sub picks up some survivors on the way home and comes under attack by destroyers; they're forced to go deeper, and in that depth, either something paranatural or their own minds start playing tricks on them...

Ah well, there's always DVD.

zen

P.S. Please put "spoiler space" if endings of movies will be revealed, such as Star Trek Nemesis that I was going to see this weekend. Thank you.
Old January 10th, 2003, 07:44 PM

Second Lieutenant

CNCRaymond is on a distinguished road

Any one here ever see a movie named "Slaughter of the Inocents?"

Scott Glen film on par with Silence of the Lambs. Good movie.

STN (X) was an ok movie, but it should have been longer. The director should have spent more time developing the movie rather than the action.

Having the Enterprise set so dark was a real stupid thing to do. He should have played off the light and dark aspects of the two characters. I would have enjoyed seeing more at the beginning in regards to the reunion, and how in the hell they found B-4. We all knew from STNG Series that there were many more prototype androids, but nothing was ever said about what happned to them with the exception of Lore.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd rate TrekX at 6. I still think Insurrection was the best one so far.