.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Multiplayer & AARs

Old May 24th, 2005, 04:57 PM

Private

Resok is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Invisible Swarm III: open

Hahah, guess I learn the hard way for my first multiplayer game that C'tis Miasma is dispised. Is there any particular reason for this? It's not like the dominion kills population, just diseases non-cold blooded who enter it and raises/lowers income. Is that the main reasoning? Not trying to worm my way out of a defeat by any means just curious.

Also... has the server been up at all during the weekend? Every time I try to connect to it I get connection failed. Late last week I was getting the same thing too so I'm guessing I have a number of stale turns saved up. Ah well, was losing anyway. Thanks for the game guys... I'll keep trying to put up a fight but not being able to connect has made this difficult. The times I usually connect (only time I have to play) are around 10pm-midnight range, Pacific time.

Resok
Old May 24th, 2005, 05:47 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

Resok, I had some trouble connecting to this server too. But for some reason it had to do with the shortcut I was using to run it? I had a shortcut with the IP built in so I didnt have to type it. But like 10% of the time it wouldnt work. Then I would just launch dom2 normally and type in the IP/Port and it would work fine. Wierdnes...
Old May 24th, 2005, 06:35 PM

Private

Hmm... well I never used the shortcut, I manually entered in the IP each time so far just to make sure I had it right. The IP hasn't changed has it? I don't remember seeing any posts that indicated it had.

Either way, I'll try again when I get home tonight. At work right now...

Resok
Old May 24th, 2005, 06:59 PM

Captain

Jurri is on a distinguished road

For what it's worth, I don't hate you (much ), Resok! You have a big castle, so fight the power! The rat can't touch you.

And what's this about jeffr getting a beating? Wouldn't that be a first of some kind... Although quantum is damn slick too. Heck, I think I'm going to sit this one out just to see which wins Gonna make some popcorn and enjoy the show, yes I will!
Old May 25th, 2005, 12:52 PM

Second Lieutenant

Bluebird is on a distinguished road

Darn - I have to do it again over this weekend, including Thursday and Friday: I am away to Poland and cannot play. Sorry for the delay I am causing, but this should be the last delay for the next weeks.

So, if possible please halt his game over the next couple of days. I will be back on Sunday evening (CEST).
There are roads which must not be followed, towns which must not be besieged, positions which must not be contested, commands of the sovereign which must not be obeyed. (Sun Tsu "The Art of War", ca. 500 BC)
Old May 25th, 2005, 12:53 PM

Private

Hahah, thanks.

Still can't connect... tried last night and again a few moments ago. Suppose it's possible there's a router down between us somewhere that's messing up the connection. Anyone else playing from USA, West coast area?

Anyway, thanks for the game guys... wish I could still connect and try to put up a fight.

Resok
Old May 26th, 2005, 03:16 PM

Private

Go ahead and change me to AI or something at least. I still have been unable to connect to the game server (can't ping it either). All my other 'net functions work just fine... I should run a tracert to the server and see where I'm getting stuck at. I'll do that tonight.

Anyway... host, go ahead and change me to AI... it's better than completely stale turns for the last week and a half. That is if I'm not annihilated already, in which case it's a moot point.

Resok
Old May 26th, 2005, 04:09 PM

Captain

CUnknown is on a distinguished road

Um..already done, Resok.

I'm sorry to do it without consulting you, I know it's not your fault for having staled.
Old May 26th, 2005, 08:15 PM

Captain

CUnknown is on a distinguished road

I am going away for the weekend.

I'm going to take my turn either tonight or tomorrow (whenever it comes up), and then set the server to like 300 hour quickhost. You guys can take one more turn after that and then it will bog down for a while until I come back on wednesday.

Sorry!

If anyone else is planning a vacation, we can do the same thing. It would suck to stale like 4 times in a row or something.
Old May 26th, 2005, 09:02 PM

Major

The Panther is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Resok said:
Hahah, guess I learn the hard way for my first multiplayer game that C'tis Miasma is dispised. Is there any particular reason for this? It's not like the dominion kills population, just diseases non-cold blooded who enter it and raises/lowers income. Is that the main reasoning? Not trying to worm my way out of a defeat by any means just curious.
Resok
One of my early MP games, I played Miasma. I started in the middle of the map (Karan) and didn't really know what I was doing. A couple of neighbors went AI and I befrended a couple others. I started a war with Caelum, who was a veteran player and the most powerful nation at the time.

He launched a blitz into my territory, burned down some temples that I (as a newbie) built without a fort. His guys became diseased and I eventually caught and killed the flying army. After losing 6 mages mostly to the disease, he was obviously loath to send any more seraphs into my pioson lands, so we agreed on peace that lasted maybe for another 50 turns. He put in temples everywhere to prevent the spread of my dominion into his territory. When we fought next, he used disease immune troops mostly, which take a while to research up to.

The upshot was that Caelum was defeated before I was! I even came in second out of 11 players, lasting nearly 150 turns before resigning, and that was like my third MP game ever. I became a huge fan of Miasma. They have the best of the three types of sauromancers because all marshmasters have the ability to cast quickness and clam hoarding is so easy to do.

I would have to say that diplomacy is the key to playing that theme. You must agree to let your neighbors who you want peace with build temples all along your border to prevent the dominion spread.

You also want to make it very costly for your neighbor to take you out. Don't EVER take the watch tower as Miasma. The Hill Fortress seems perefectly designed for this theme with its 250 defense and only 3 turns/ 450 gold to build. Anyone seiging that thing will have all troops diseased long before the castle storm. Build some city guards in every fortress, as each one counts as a plus 1 defense every turn they hold out! Your opponent may still kill you, but they will be hurting so bad that their other neighbors may swoop in to take advantage. Again, diplomacy is the key. Like, for instance, you can tell the neighbor of whomever is killing you that all his troops are diseased and he is ripe for the picking! You may find him suing for peace when he gets hit from the backside.

Also, you had the misfortune of having a seasoned veteran like Boron as your neighbor, intent on annexing your territory. In your first MP game, you could have taken any race or any theme and still died. Boron just used the Miasma as an excuse!

Shame on Boron, picking on the newbie!