Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V > SEIV

Old January 22nd, 2007, 04:07 PM

Captain

bearclaw is on a distinguished road
Default Re: [Planning] Unofficial SEIV Expansion Pack

racial cross-over techs!
And more than 1 level to unique techs. I've added 5 levels to each unique tech in my mod. Works well.
A+ Se+++ GdY $++ Fr- C+ Csp Sf* AuO M++ MpTFdAM St RTNH Pw++ Fq++ Nd++ Rp++ G++ Mm++ Bb++ L+ Tcp-
Old January 23rd, 2007, 01:13 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Urendi Maleldil said:
Quote:
Atrocities said:
200 plus I think.
Yikes! The number of new races should probably be edited down to about 3-5, based on image quality, AI quality, and how they mesh with the overall look and feel of stock SE4.
3 to 5? I would argue the point but I dont think I have to. Once you start looking thru the files you will up that number Im sure.

Im fairly picky, and even leaving out all the joke ones, ones based on tv or movies, ones which seemed to basically be duplicates, Id still guess it to be closer to 100.

One thing I WOULD like to see is the same race done multiple times. I did it with the neutrals. They had the same portrait, ships, nation name, etc. But they had different setings on what they liked and didnt like, tactics, mood, etc. That way meeting them didnt automatically tell me what would work and not work.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old January 23rd, 2007, 09:54 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
bearclaw said:
racial cross-over techs!
And more than 1 level to unique techs. I've added 5 levels to each unique tech in my mod. Works well.
Having archaeological racial traits be required to get the most out of ruins is also nifty.
Old January 25th, 2007, 05:53 PM

Major

Urendi Maleldil is on a distinguished road

An Archaeological trait is a good idea. Maybe you only get the standard one level without it, but if you have researched advanced archaeology, you can get more benefits out of ruin techs like ancient shields and the like.

As for 200+ race styles. I want to keep the mod small and tight, as if Malfador had released it as an official expansion. So even though there's a lot of great stuff out there, I'm going to sort through it and find the best of the best, with respect to stock.

-Km :�
Old January 25th, 2007, 06:01 PM

Captain

Black_Knyght is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ironmanbc said:
To be honest we dont need an expansion pack (I myself am too busy playing the mods that people make)

besides there is the TMD mod and thats just for the A.I anyways

I STRONGLY disagree with you here !!!

"WE" would very much like to see just such an Expansion Pack. The various things listed so far by Urendi Maleldil, Gandalf Parker,and the others are a perfect example that there IS just such an interest out there.

I personally think this thread is on the right track, and would be more than willing to offer whatever help and material I can.

Old January 25th, 2007, 06:09 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Nothing we could do would really be "expansion pack" material, however (at least, in the real sense of an expansion pack, not the atrocities some big companies call "expansions"). An expansion pack would necessarily add much in the way of new hard code abilities and such.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old January 26th, 2007, 03:45 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

This effort would be more along the lines of an ADD ON pack.
Old January 26th, 2007, 02:06 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Since the basic SEIV is something like 100 stars, 8 nations, and loads of other low settings that many of us might not even remember; I will certainly think of it as an expansion
But you are probably right. Add-On might work for sales.

Whoever wants to do the work can upload it to CafePress on a free account and let people go there to buy it. Id have no problem paying 10 or 20 dollars for it. And it certainly wouldnt bother me if the person got some dollars for the work.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old January 26th, 2007, 03:09 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Of course, then they'd have to pay everyone that contributed parts... plus the whole bad mojo for selling mods thing. I certainly wouldn't want my work included in a pay-for mod.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old January 26th, 2007, 04:35 PM

Major

Urendi Maleldil is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
Whoever wants to do the work can upload it to CafePress on a free account and let people go there to buy it. Id have no problem paying 10 or 20 dollars for it. And it certainly wouldnt bother me if the person got some dollars for the work.
Hmm. That's an interesting idea. I hadn't thought of selling the mod. I remember Hadrian got permission from Malfador a long time ago to sell the Ultimate Mod.

There are a lot of third-parties that sell game add-ons for games like Microsoft Flight Simulator, so why not for SEIV? The trick would be to work out some sort of percentage-based revenue sharing thing with each contributor... complicated, but do-able. Plus it would be an interesting way to give back to all you SE4 modders that have been ou there for like ever.

What do you guys think? Is trying to sell a mod like this something you'd be interested in, or is it not worth the hassle?

It's probably too much work to make sure everybody gets their fair share. Besides, no one's going to be making handfuls of cash, since there will hopefully be a whole bunch contributors and SE4 is an older game with an audience that's largely moved on to SE5. But who wouldn't love getting an extra quarter in the mail each month? If you save up, you can buy a candy bar.

By the way, I thought you could only sell mugs and stuff on Cafe Press.

-Km :�