.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old April 10th, 2010, 03:17 AM

Major General

Valerius is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mod that disables all recruitable units - All Commander/Summons/PD Mod...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodstamp View Post
Quote:
He didn't specify a problem with units turning up via other means, he just wanted to get rid of recruitables.
Really, what is your point here besides being your usual bitter self?
There is no point other than that. Unfortunately it does degrade the forums. Look at a variety of threads that have gone downhill recently and there's a common denominator. It's too bad. These forums used to be pleasant place but they seem to be headed in a different direction now.
Old April 10th, 2010, 04:21 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mod that disables all recruitable units - All Commander/Summons/PD Mod...

Quote:
Really, what is your point here besides being your usual bitter self?
No need to try and get personal there slugger.

The point is the OP isn't about removing all non commanders from the game. He even says summons are fine. Just steering you back in the right direction.

Quote:
The AI will still try to build those units. I believe the commander will take precedence every turn even if he has 50 units queued up in the castle from it costing too much to build, but I am not sure. Are you sure? Because if you are not, and you are wrong, it will create the same situation the better independents mod creates where the AI queues the units up and is never able to build them.
The AI can't play the game with recruitables turned off anyway, so yeah, this game won't work for anything but multiplayer, unless you like playing AIs that can't leave their home province.

Quote:
If he didn't say it, and you are just assuming it, then it is not your place to correct me, it is his place.
Yeah, it appears my above assumption was incorrect. Reasonable, but incorrect.

Last edited by Sombre; April 10th, 2010 at 04:35 AM..
Old April 10th, 2010, 04:24 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerius View Post
There is no point other than that. Unfortunately it does degrade the forums. Look at a variety of threads that have gone downhill recently and there's a common denominator. It's too bad. These forums used to be pleasant place but they seem to be headed in a different direction now.
I only remember even seeing two posts by you and both were directly complaining about me. I see you aren't looking to break that streak with your 'contribution' to this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreidi View Post
The mp game would be easy to do but I only play SP.

Units turning up via other means would be cool and the redokulous resource cost could work too.
I hate to tell you this man, but this entire idea isn't going to work in SP. The AI isn't going to be up to anything without recruitable units. It'll just sit in its cap, maybe take 1 or two provinces if it by random summons a bunch of drakes or something. You can test this by just removing the recruitables from one nation and setting that as impossible AI, then watching it over twenty turns or so.
Old April 10th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I hate to tell you this man, but this entire idea isn't going to work in SP. The AI isn't going to be up to anything without recruitable units. It'll just sit in its cap, maybe take 1 or two provinces if it by random summons a bunch of drakes or something. You can test this by just removing the recruitables from one nation and setting that as impossible AI, then watching it over twenty turns or so.
This is not entirely true. The AI will and does use commanders to attack. It may be based on the power of the commander though, which means that your standard human fair may need to be supported by summons like Sombre says. But the AI will use larger more self sufficient commanders.

The real issue is going to be that the AI will not equip those commanders properly. You are going to gain a huge advantage very quickly.

I would suggest as an alternative that YOU play as a commander only nation. I've made RPG mods to do this and it can be fun. It gets old fairly quickly though because once your party reaches a certain point of power, there isn't a whole lot to do beyond just running around trashing the AI as if you were Bogus and crew.

The easiest way I accomplished this mod was by giving myself a detached province (capital) and a province attached to the rest that has no castle. You use map commands to add the members of your party to the map attached province. I gave them all #stealthy to be able to move around the map without always forcing combat, all have leadership 0.

In my testing, the detached capital never had events, but any province you conquer on the map will. You have to build labs every once in a while to forge gear for your heroes. To add to the challenge, I set my PD to be abysmal, they were never able to hold a province unless the party was there. Of course, the AI could still recruit as normal and all my party members had 0 leadership.
Old April 10th, 2010, 09:48 AM

Sergeant

Atreidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombre View Post
But....
Yea. It makes sense. I am probably asking too much from the AI. The AI even has problems handling Ashen Empire.
Old May 6th, 2010, 06:12 PM

Sergeant

Knai is on a distinguished road

It is unfortunate. I was suggesting a similar idea a while back (I believe the title was Commander Battles, it might show up in a search), but I actually have access to hotseat MP at the very least. Though this would be functional online, and if you want to start a quick, small game, I'm in. Although I've never actually played online before, and would probably get steamrolled.
Old May 9th, 2010, 07:30 PM

First Lieutenant

Makinus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The easiest way I accomplished this mod was by giving myself a detached province (capital) and a province attached to the rest that has no castle. You use map commands to add the members of your party to the map attached province. I gave them all #stealthy to be able to move around the map without always forcing combat, all have leadership 0.
Would you share with us the specific commands used? Maybe with a map file? I would like to try this setup but i'm not good at modding dom3
Old May 9th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

I sure can. Keep in mind this was for my personal use so the mod is pretty bare, the little bit of flavor text is non-existent/lame , the character names are after me and my wife so you will want to go into the .dm and change that. The modifications to the map are at the bottom, I just disconnected a province and put the "heroes" in a starting province. It seems I gave them both uber #onebattlespells too so you may want to change that.

Crom is the mod, CromMap is the map file. I can't promise this is compatible with anything else on the forums or linux (I may not have been consistent with the casing). Hopefully this will help you make a better implementation!
Attached Files
File Type: zip crom.zip (34.5 KB, 65 views)
File Type: zip CromMap.zip (4.21 MB, 69 views)
Old May 9th, 2010, 08:05 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I use detached capitals with the watcher.dm to throw events into the game.

The easiest thing I find is to add one white dot in the far upper-right of the image file on many map.
The way Dom3 numbers things that means you will get a new province 1 number higher than the highest was before, and it wont shift anything. And unless you add commands to the .map file it will have no neighbors.
Old May 10th, 2010, 06:40 AM

First Lieutenant

Makinus is on a distinguished road

Thanks Foodstamp and Gandalf.... i´m tinkering with it now.... correct me if i´m wrong, another way to use this "rpg-like" campaign would be to use a stock nation that already have stealth capable commanders and, instead of using custom commanders, use the nation ones as your "adventurers"....

What nations have recruitable stealth commanders (beyond scouts and assassins)? I´ll take a look tonight, as i´m at work now, but any advance indications would help....