Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old September 7th, 2003, 05:33 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

JLS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: AI Campaign => For a Challenging AI opponent

Originally posted by mottlee:
Quote:
Originally posted by JLS:
Expected AI Minesweeping resuts when fleeted for AIC: v4.00.

=================================================
In short and to recap:

1: Approximately any quantity or make up; at 70% or below the chart all (The AI ships will be lost forever)
2: Approximately any quantity or make up above 70% but less then 100% of the chart (The AI will take damage and destruction, but some AI ships MAY get thru) depending on the proximity to charts 100%.
3: Any quantity or make up above 100% of the chart, the AI will clear the Minefield with little to no damage.

This will also apply for Human Players to some extent with AIC 4.0 at previous post.

With AIC, the closer you reach Baseships and Heavy Carriers >mines are akin to throwing stones at today tanks
Quote:
Originally posted by mottlee:
So you are telling me there is no part damage in these #'s?...if I go into a 100 ct mine field w/25 battleships there will be no damage????
Yes, this is what I propose for the Human Player in AIC v4.0…

Fighter Carriers will destroy Mines
BaseShips will have the ability to overpower a minefield.
---
I also propose that Starting at Battle Cruiser thru Dreadnoughts; will be much more effective against mines. That will be in scale with there individual displacement.

Although the best procedure for this, has not been decided yet.

What are your thoughts?

[ September 07, 2003, 16:41: Message edited by: JLS ]

Optimized for[i] Solitaire Play!
With or without all Warp points, Finite resources, same starts and Simultaneous movement

~~~ CLICK ON &gt;&gt;&gt; (((&gt; <font color="green"> AI CAMPAIGN v4.191 </font> &lt)) &lt;&lt;&lt; To Get ~~~
Old September 7th, 2003, 06:01 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you should leave them with requiring minesweepers to sweep mines. Just because a ship is big doesn't mean it can't be affected by mines.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old September 7th, 2003, 06:44 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally posted by Imperator Fyron:
I think you should leave them with requiring minesweepers to sweep mines. Just because a ship is big doesn't mean it can't be affected by mines.
In a dimension as with a Naval vessel beneath or on the sea, I could agree, to some extent.

However, in space is there an actual percussion in and around the outer hull.

If I am not mistaken, space is a vacuum of approximately 32 inchs.
Approximately the equivalent of 16 PSI (effect if contained in a bottle) also if I am not mistaken, considering a near miss with a mine or even outer hull attachment, is there really a displaced energy effect or will the energy take the path of least resistance. With attachment, would it propel the ship in a direction, then to actually destroy it?

If there is a measure for the MINE for example: MAGNETIC, EMP, Shape Charged etc. To attach it self to a Spaceship or whatever our imagination can think of to make this mine more effective, as to maintain the illusion of a World War II - US Submarine entering Tokyo Bay or the need of a Mine Sweeper to Sweep a defined and practical Harbor location, as in naval warfare, then so be it.

In addition, with the creativity and the imagination to create a MAGNETIC, EMP, Shape Charged etc mine. There is also the creativity and the imagination for the countermeasure.

However, it is my opinion that actual minesweepers in the vastness of space or the destruction of ones Fleet probably will not be the sole methods to clear mines in the future.

What would you say?

[ September 07, 2003, 18:05: Message edited by: JLS ]

With or without all Warp points, Finite resources, same starts and Simultaneous movement

~~~ CLICK ON &gt;&gt;&gt; (((&gt; <font color="green"> AI CAMPAIGN v4.191 </font> &lt)) &lt;&lt;&lt; To Get ~~~
Old September 7th, 2003, 06:53 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Space mines are self guided (AI computer controlled) and don't usually miss. This is 25th century technology, afterall.

Also, "minesweepers" represent all of those alternate methods of "sweeping" mines. They just need a simple name.

[ September 07, 2003, 17:54: Message edited by: Imperator Fyron ]
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old September 7th, 2003, 07:07 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Space mines are self guided (AI computer controlled) and don't usually miss. This is 25th century technology, afterall.

Also, "minesweepers" represent all of those alternate methods of "sweeping" mines. They just need a simple name.
I see, but this sounds like you are describing the existing Drone for se4 now, not a mine?

[ September 07, 2003, 18:09: Message edited by: JLS ]

Old September 7th, 2003, 07:12 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

No. Drones are automated miniature ships (sort of). Mines are just flying warheads. Would it make any sense for 100 immobile mines to be able to all hit a ship or fleet in an entire SECTOR of space? Of course not. They have to be able to move around to hit their targets. And why would a people capable of travelling to other stars not think to strap some basic engines on their mines?
Old September 7th, 2003, 07:23 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
No. Drones are automated miniature ships (sort of). Mines are just flying warheads. Would it make any sense for 100 immobile mines to be able to all hit a ship or fleet in an entire SECTOR of space? Of course not. They have to be able to move around to hit their targets. And why would a people capable of travelling to other stars not think to strap some basic engines on their mines?
Ahh, good point

So what you are saying is, that the drone is a automated miniature ships, capable of damage from the effects of our existing Point Defence, but a mine theoretically is so small or too fast that existing on board weapons will have no effect.

Ok, this does make sence.

[ September 07, 2003, 18:36: Message edited by: JLS ]

Old September 7th, 2003, 07:37 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

You can shoot them if they get launched in combat, but that can only happen in tactical combat versuse human players.

It is quite possible that PDCs could be used to target mines. Other ship weapons are too big to target them though IMO (much like targetting missiles, which are also quite small and fast). That, and mines have super cloaking, so normal weapons can't target them. They do have level 5 cloak afterall. Some mods, such as Devnull, make it so that PDCs sweep mines instead of special Minesweepers (IIRC).

Essentially, Drones are big enough to be targetable by ship weapons. They are the same size as Frigates and such, afterall. Mines, on the other hand, are small, probably a bit bigger than missiles.

[ September 07, 2003, 18:40: Message edited by: Imperator Fyron ]
Old September 7th, 2003, 07:41 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Hmm... you changed the post I was replying to.
Old September 7th, 2003, 07:43 PM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road

Mines are also supposed to be hidden (prevents active level 5 scanning and so on), so they should be cloacked devices deployed in an area and programmed to target any incoming hostile ship. It would make more sense than having stationary mines which could not possibly hit a ship in space. (Or it would be so unlikely that you would need the Heart of Gold) On the other hand, drones are more autonomous devices, I would picture drones as being dirigible missiles.

As for the gameplay, I would not advice you to allow the automatic "destruction" of mines for the player (after a certain number of ships). Wouldn't it actually weaken the AI? Or rather, why would you want to give this ability to the player? (I didn't see the reason in your previous Posts, but since there are so much Posts in this thread, I might have overlook it)