.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old October 4th, 2015, 10:09 AM

Second Lieutenant

SaS TrooP is on a distinguished road
Default NVA Maneuvers 9/1965

NVA Maneuvers

This was never meant to be a scenario.

Idea of this battle was born when I saw extensive archive footage of East German Military (NVA) maneuvers, cooperating with Warsaw Pact troops in year 1965. It is a very specific period of time, often ommited in history of military. Eyes of most people are directed towards Ia Drang and rapidly raising PAVN combat abilities.
I asked a friend of mine to prepare me this battle. It is setup on a map that was not made either by me or him. This map was invented for a tournament of some sort. I deployed entire regiment the way I would prefer to have it deployed. His objectives was to deploy the Dutch mechanized battalion, supported with tank company and some recon elements, enough to make defences reliable. NVA troops are supported with divisional guns (152mm battalion) and some air force, mainly MiG-17 aircraft.
This would be a typical battle should Warsaw Pact move towards West Germany. At first I expected NVA troops to overrun the Dutch quickly. To my great surprise, long and extremely bloody combat ensued with both units anihilating each other.

Have fun. This scenario is a good basis to try different WP nations and deployments. Can be played on any side, though invented for East Germany. Scenario is most likely capable of PBEM play.

Source: YouTube channel "Filmarchiv der Nationale Volksarmee", recently closed

Guys, play it and let me know how it was. This could be a good base for historical discussion. At the end, I managed to destroy the Dutch, but literally like 10% of my entire regiment was still combat capable. What means it is no victory at all.

I was suppressing enemy with artillery and advancing in three columns, heads of which were deployed into line in the process. Armour supports the middle. Aircraft are picking HVTs.
I resigned from deploying smoke screens and relayed on firepower rule. I am not sure if it ended well. Centurion tanks are great compared to T-55A of the NVA.
Attached Files
File Type: zip NVA Maneuvers.zip (86.7 KB, 181 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SaS TrooP For This Useful Post:
Old October 4th, 2015, 12:37 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: NVA Maneuvers 9/1965

If anyone plays this some feedback would be welcome.It sounds like and excellent addition to the next patch

Don
Old October 4th, 2015, 12:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

Warhero is on a distinguished road

Heh NVA=North Vietnam Army came into my mind as I looked at title:P...
Old October 4th, 2015, 01:07 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

thats aways my first thought when I see "NVA" as well even though I know it applies to East Germany as well
Old October 4th, 2015, 01:36 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

One thing I noticed was when playing from the Dutch side, turn one starts with the NVA turn and there is considerable contact on that first turn. The Dutch player has no chance to set up his OP fire filters and in this case I would have prefered my unit held their fire longer than they do
Don
Old October 4th, 2015, 01:55 PM

Second Lieutenant

This could be solved by setting NVA reaction turn to turn 2 maybe? Not sure how it applies with PBEM. Any way to "switch" player numbers?
Old October 4th, 2015, 02:25 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

It's not a big deal , just saying it would have been nice to setup opfire BEFORE contact was made. The only way to adjust this would be set up the East Germans further back so contact is not made until turn two and add a turn to the length of the scenario but that may unbalance things.

In any event it's never good to adjust scenarios too quickly, the change I suggested may change the way it's played too much.....what I noticed was the Centurians and ATGM teams were firing too early. I would have let the NVA get closer before tearing into them.....more kill shots and less wasted missiles and ammo
Old October 4th, 2015, 02:33 PM

Second Lieutenant

Maybe I am unlucky, but those Centurions and SS-10s raped me pretty badly. Luckily, if you keep the correct speed ATGMs are not that much of a problem. Centurions were pretty accurate as for me. Plus NVA can only eliminate those effectively with HEAT rounds. So they are Germans who actually seems to have a problem.

The thing with deployment is that when I was making a playthough, I spent first 5-6 turns purely on artillery bombardment. This scenario theoretically includes the necessary break.
Old October 7th, 2015, 03:05 PM

Major

Thanked 1,056 Times in 621 Posts
RetLT is on a distinguished road

This was a fun scenario but it took every trick I knew (and lots of smoke) to pull off a draw as the NVA. I took all the objectives albeit with heavy losses (see attached screen shot)

I am curious what the point ratio is. The Dutch have more tanks, the same amount of arty and airpower, and only slightly less infantry.

Assaulting over open ground at 1:1 odds rarely ends well even when playing against the AI.

To even things up I would remove the SS-11 units or add more tanks and maybe some mortars (for smoke) to the NVA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nva END.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	13909  
Old October 7th, 2015, 04:15 PM

Major

Thanked 1,056 Times in 621 Posts
RetLT is on a distinguished road

Played from the Dutch side and the NVA only lasted 11 turns before throwing in the towel. See attached screen shot.