.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old May 11th, 2004, 09:03 PM

Private

DeaconBone is on a distinguished road
Default Combat Process Spelled Out Anywhere?

Greetings

I really liked the demo so now I bought this game.

I am just learning the game (I just got it in the mail)as time allows. Forgive me if this is answered elsewhere. Is there anywhere that spells out what actually just took place in each combat session? Like who hit what and did what to whom and what they rolled. I would really like to see detailed reports.

Also, if you have any tips to help me learn this game, let me know.
Old May 13th, 2004, 07:55 PM

Private

Default Re: Combat Process Spelled Out Anywhere?

In addition to my first question I want to say that I am having fun learning to play even though I am getting beat up really bad by the AI on Easy! I am in my 3rd game this time as Atlantis with all other races activated. Doing a bit better each game.....
Old May 13th, 2004, 10:16 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

There is no spelling out what happens during a turn. Some people have wished this, but we have decided against it. Even the smallest battle would give you pages of rolls and numbers.

There is a good walkthru by Bruce Geryk http://www.illwinter.com/dom2/walkthru.html

Asking here is also a good way of getting tips. People are generally friendly and will quickly answer most questions.

Avoid questions like: 'what is the best...', 'what should I research'. This kind of questions tend to generate answers like: 'it depends ... blah ... blah...'
Might be informative, but is often more confusing I'd say.

'What is...', 'how do I...' and 'what should I do in this situation' is probably better questions.

[ May 13, 2004, 21:17: Message edited by: Kristoffer O ]
Old May 14th, 2004, 08:23 AM

Private

OK thanks for answering. So I am not alone in desiring a more detailed understanding of the combat specs - good.

Mini AAR: I just got killed as Atlantis by the other sea empire that rather rudely launched an attack upon me right as I was invading Ulm's home base and fighting off their advances on my ohter side. Couldn't handle two on one and I definitely wasn't ready for the other sea power being so strong.

The good news is I came in FIFTEENTH out of 17 this time rather than 16th like Last time! Both Caleum and Pangea ate it before me. I gave up when they got Atlantis with authority around turn 53.

[ May 14, 2004, 07:25: Message edited by: DeaconBone ]
Old May 14th, 2004, 09:45 AM

Corporal

Gateway103 is on a distinguished road

For an better learning experience, perhaps playing as Atlantish without Rlyeh. This way you can learn the minutia of carrying out battles on land, without worrying much about sea attacks. This way, you basically would be safe from most retaliatory attacks on your sea provinces for quite some time, giving you the economic and production bases to try out different ideas.

Once this becomes more familiar undertakings, add Rlyeh back in for more challenge. Or play a land nation where such laid back style will not work.

Just some suggestions.

-Gateway103
Old May 14th, 2004, 11:04 AM

Private

Thanks for the tip. I guess I am just going thru them one at a time just to check them out. I felt like I could have floored Ryleh but since they hadn't attacked me first I figured I would take care of Ulm since they were already going after me.

This game is a real gas and I haven't even gotten into the meat of it yet. I suppose it will be a many moons before I can join the Online folks in MP without embarassing myself...

[ May 14, 2004, 10:05: Message edited by: DeaconBone ]