This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old May 28th, 2012, 12:03 PM

Private

Action is on a distinguished road
Question What resolution and zoom level is optimal for an average sized monitor?

This game is potentially quite appealing, but I can't really figure out an acceptable way to view the battlefield. It's extremely frustrating to plan an advance and figure out future line of site in some of the bigger maps.

Playing zoomed in makes the game look good as you can enjoy the pixel art tanks and more importantly, you can actually pick out whether or not that blob of infantry is scouts, machine guns or just an AT team.

But because ranges are extremely long for many weapon systems, playing zoomed in makes it very difficult to maintain tactical awareness. In order to keep an eye out for threats and relevant terrain formations within, you'd need to be constantly scrolling the screen and scanning. The minimap is not really sufficient to provide a substitute for scrolling around as a means of obtaining a tactical overview, it is too small to see much.

On the other hand, playing zoomed really far out is rather awkward as well. The unit graphics become blurred and difficult to interpret very quickly and you can no longer tell at a glance whether or not there are multiple infantry in a hex, or whether or not you're looking at a full squad. Only the small flags next to each unit allow me to see anything at all. You can get a slightly better tactical overview, but significant scrolling is still required and it feels very easy to miss something, since you can't actually see the unit graphics.

Resolution is also a difficult question, at lower levels it increases the difficulty of seeing anything when zoomed out, but at higher resolutions the UI elements shrink to levels that cause eye strain. That's especially problematic when you're trying to read the text at the bottom with the unit name and stats. Not to mention a postage stamp sized minimap.

Is there a "sweet spot"? A combination of resolution and zoom level where you can see things comfortably?
Old May 28th, 2012, 03:51 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What resolution and zoom level is optimal for an average sized monitor?

Any "sweet spot" will be individual preference based on the condition of you eyes, the quality and resolution and size of your monitor etc etc etc and what it is you want to see on the map. That is why there are so many zoom levels and resolutions. I honestly don't think anyone plays the game with the same zoom setting "optimized" to suit their every possible need during the entire game and I know I usually use them all at one time or the other during a game.

The minimap is a way to get to different parts of the map quickly. It is NOT meant to be a magical overview map but gives a rough idea of map terrain and unit location. It's meant to click on to get from where you are to another point on the map quickly.

However, maybe someone might make a suggestion that will work for you. I don't have one beyond I play at the resolution my monitor works best with then adjust zoom to suit the situation.

Don
Old May 29th, 2012, 06:54 PM

Private

chrissandvick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What resolution and zoom level is optimal for an average sized monitor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post

Is there a "sweet spot"? A combination of resolution and zoom level where you can see things comfortably?
Not that I've found. I zoom in and out throughout a game. I've been playing since the DOS days so I find that I don't have problems with determining terrain. More often I get impatient with planning and rush through a turn, maybe missing a sniper or some other isolated unit. I think the biggest thing that helps is learning the keyboard shortcuts keys and looking at the different lists of units that are available. You'll get used to it.
Old May 30th, 2012, 02:09 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

If there was a resolution where you can do all things comfortably you wouldnt need a zoom button would you. But of course your needs are diffrent for the tactical overview to a close in firefight so you zoom accordingly.
Old May 30th, 2012, 11:18 AM

Corporal

Pats is on a distinguished road

Zoomimg with the mouswheel would be nice though :-)
Old May 30th, 2012, 09:13 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

Using the zoom feature is so matter of fact to me i don't even think of it much.

I do understand to some, it would be nice to see where exactly where that missle was fired from,however there is the "fog of war" aspect to consider in game and RL.

All is not revealed,you have to find them,,
Old May 31st, 2012, 03:18 AM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road

I actually count hexes to find where that ATGM came from.
Old May 31st, 2012, 11:58 AM

Sergeant

Oche is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeraaa View Post
I actually count hexes to find where that ATGM came from.
Now that you mention that, there are people who prefer to set the Hex Grid ON at all times and those who do not except when counting hexes for which turning it ON makes counting hexes much easier.
Old June 5th, 2012, 12:42 AM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

I always look for the little telltale puffs of smoke when been fired on by atgm's,and sam teams,then plot arty on them asap.
The Following User Says Thank You to gila For This Useful Post: