Notices

Old May 1st, 2011, 09:26 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,472 Times in 2,709 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Suggestion for next patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I use a 12 point font when reading stuff. 10 point is too small and I need to strain to read. My monitor is a 24 inch 1920x1080 which is getting popular. The font, I would guess, is 6-8 point. In order to read it I have to get real close and strain. Using the windows magnifier allows me to at least play the game until, hopefully, this is improved.

When I suggested 800x600 it was only because I thought it would be the easiest way but maybe not. Maybe it would be easier to simply increase the font size and resize the windows. I don't know.

QUESTIONS:

1 / Do you wear reading glasses normally ?

2/ What resolution do you have the game set for ?( I'm assuming desktop...)

3/ Are you running full screen or windowed ?

4/ If the answer to question 2 was desktop have you tried a slightly lower resolution ?

Don
Old May 1st, 2011, 09:58 AM

Corporal

Rich is on a distinguished road

1. I have two pair of glasses. One for normal distance with bifocals and one for computer use which is "mid-distance" with bifocals.

2. Desktop 1920x1080.

3. Windowed. The magnifier doesn't work with full screen.

4. I have tried lower resolutions and need to 1024x768 full screen before the font is readable without straining although 800x600 is better.
Old May 1st, 2011, 11:48 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

1/ I cannot see anything ( at all ) on the screen without my glasses and I also have a special pair just for computer work

4/ I have a 16 inch CRT monitor ( measured diagonally ) and run the game 1152x864 windowed without any trouble. I have a copy of the game on my daughters computer to test widescreen. She has a 19 inch screen ( measured diagonally ) runing at 1440x900. When I run the game at desktop on her machine I can read the text perfectly. In fact, it's sharper on her monitor than it is on mine. When I run on my monitor the screens like the battle set up screen are 6.75 inches wide. On my daughters screen they are 7 inches wide. Again, I have NO problem reading any of the text on any screen and I'm blind as a bat without my glasses

I have no idea why you would have trouble reading 1024x768 on a 24 inch monitor. All I can suggest, and I'm not being a smartass, is get new glasses. I had to just recently and now everything is crisp

Don
Old May 1st, 2011, 12:15 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Okay I would be intrested to know what size fonts most people use in say there email or word processor as I am wondering if we are the only people that do not have trouble reading & Im the other side of 50 now so eyes are not quite what they once were.
I ask because its a combination of resolution & screen size that determines actual font size currently round a friends his sytem resolution is 1440x900 on I am guessing 17" maybe 19" monitor its not big. Neither of us has any trouble reading in game fonts in desktop mode at well over arms length as in standing over shoulder of. Also quite readable if shunt view to 50" plasma & play from where watch the TV from.

Imp, your experience matches mine. At the same resolution you mention I can read everything on the game screens crisp and clear with my computer glasses on. Without them I cannot even read the large text on the buttons like "SAVED GAMES" and "SCENARIOS" AT ALL--------it's all a smudge I can only read sort of if I get so close to the screen my nose is nearly touching and I'm squinting so much my eyes are almost closed.

WITH my glasses 1440x900 is no problem at all. Crisp and sharp, no eye strain whatsoever.

Don
Old May 1st, 2011, 12:37 PM

Corporal

I last had my eyes checked about six months ago and my glasses prescription is as good as it's going to get and it's not 20/20. I'm 65, a few years ago I had a double hip operation, my eyesight and hearing have deteriorated over the years not to mention so many other things. I have no problems with other games on my monitor but understand SP is a remake from an older game and that could cause the font to be so small. Others on this forum have mentioned it as well.

If you folks could find a way to improve the font size it would be very much appreciated. Otherwise I'll continue to use the magnifier. It's a bit of a pain but at least it allows me to play the game.
Old May 1st, 2011, 12:54 PM

Corporal

Don, I just had a thought and took a look. It seems with the fonts there is no high contrast between the background and actual font. The easiest for me to read is white on the charcoal background. When there are colors involved like across the bottom it gets worse. I think probably if all the fonts were black on a white background it would help a lot. How difficult would that be to change? Is it something I can do?
Old May 1st, 2011, 11:57 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

There is no way to change the font or screen colours without the code. We will be aware of the contrast issue as we move forward. I do know there are some combinations that may not be optimal.

That said. My eyes are far from 20/20. I use a set of glasses specifically for the computer and, for me, they show the game font's clear and readable

Don
Old May 3rd, 2011, 10:27 AM

Corporal

Don, whatever you can do to make the fonts easier to read would be great. My eyes aren't 20/20 even with glasses and there are probably others in the same boat.