Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
Momentum 2 - Finished - Psycho/Pan wins! - Page 2 - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old August 14th, 2009, 11:58 AM

First Lieutenant

Aethyr is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Momentum 2 - no hoarding, banned globals, tart changes, fast pace - Recruiting!

I love this idea. Pythium please.
Old August 14th, 2009, 12:23 PM

Major General

Valerius is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Momentum 2 - no hoarding, banned globals, tart changes, fast pace - Recruiting!

@Psycho: I've searched the forums and tried tests on my own but I don't see a way to keep blood stones as only a path booster. I think the problem is that modding magic items is limited; in particular it doesn't seem you can create a new magic item that has a special effect like path boosting. This leaves us with modding unique items and making them non-unique. The three candidates are the Pebble Skin Suit, Boots of Antaeus and Tome of Gaia. The Pebble Skin Suit will give the wearer stoneskin, regeneration and turn them into a troll eventually. The Boots of Antaeus grant reinvigoration and regeneration in addition to boosting E by 1. This might actually be the best bet since we can mod this item to use a different slot (maybe the body slot to limit its use in thugs/SCs?). The Tome of Gaia boosts E and N which is likely more than we'd want this booster to accomplish. If we can agree on a candidate we could mod one of these to serve as an E booster.

Yes, I will mod out the banned globals. So far I have most of the mod complete but I want to double check the tarts to make sure I don't miss anything and I also have to create an onaqui that doesn't summon beast bats.

@Squirrelloid: Executor addressed some of your points but I'll add a couple of things. If this were a larger game I'd likely agree with you that some nations need to be compensated for removing gem gens but with only 8 players no one will be forced to play a nation that needs them. It's unfortunate if this means someone can't play their favorite nation but rebalancing gem gen dependant nations is beyond the scope of this game/mod. As regards Conj. not having a gem generating global, well I'm not sure that it needs one. Even without one, everyone will still research Conj. OTOH it may turn out that putting WoM in Evo. isn't a good idea. Hopefully this will be a fun game and the quick pace will mean in a few months we can fine-tune the settings and try again.

@Executor/Alpine Joe/Aethyr: Executor, I hope you can play. In case it helps, the game won't start until the 25th... Alpine Joe and Aethyr, I've signed you up for Jotun and Pythium respectively. We're over halfway there!
Old August 14th, 2009, 12:55 PM

Major General

Executor is on a distinguished road

Leave me a spot with Machaka open for me please Valerius.
Old August 14th, 2009, 12:59 PM

Major General

Done!
Old August 14th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

I suppose it already feels like Maelstrom never gets cast because most nations who would want it have little reason to research that much evocation. I have this feeling Well of Misery will end up in the same boat if its in evocation, although there is more for a death nation there than for a water nation. I might recommend putting Well of Misery in a school that someone with death mages might actually consider researching otherwise.

Evocation makes virtually no sense for Well of Misery thematically, anyway. Perhaps Enchantment would make more sense?
Old August 14th, 2009, 02:03 PM

Major General

I agree Evo. doesn't work thematically and Ench. was actually my first thought. But my model was Gale Gate (Thaum. 8 for an air nation?!) and I wanted it to be out of the way. We'll see how it goes, but this and possibly adjusting tart costs will be the most likely changes if there is a second game with these settings.

As far as Maelstrom, it seems to me that water nations are one of the two types (the other being fire) with an incentive to go to Evo. 8/9. If Maelstrom is cast less than the other gem gen globals it may be due in part to the fact the water gems are not viewed very highly (apart from clamming). This is definitely not the case with death gems - I think people will research a school just to get WoM (especially with the changes to tarts). If they are a fire/water nation they'll just get an additional bonus from its placement in Evo. in this game.
Old August 14th, 2009, 03:36 PM

First Lieutenant

Aethyr is on a distinguished road

Val, there are a few pretenders (Ghost King, etc.) that auto spawn units, do you plan to restrict these as well?
Old August 14th, 2009, 04:12 PM

Lieutenant General

archaeolept is on a distinguished road

those pretender auto-spawns aren't game breaking at all; I wouldn't worry about any of them. Vampire Lords should be changed, though.

All those globals are pretty boring, and I'm not unhappy to see them go.

The costs for the tarts should perhaps be modified a bit. earth cyclops and the monstra 35 perhaps. monstrum only d5 to cast, perhaps?
Old August 14th, 2009, 11:42 PM

Major General

I agree that auto spawning pretenders are ok. As an aside, though the mod isn't ready yet if anyone would like to test builds you can use CBM 1.5 since I don't intend to make any changes to pretenders and scales.

Maybe a good rule of thumb is that if the unit is unique (pretender, elemental royalty) the ability to auto spawn/summon allies is ok but if it is not unique then it runs the risk of being abused.

Following that logic it makes sense that vampire lords should be modded to remove their summon ally ability. The only other unit I can think of is the faery queen with summoning sprites. Admittedly I've never heard of anyone using this strategy but following the unique/non-unique rule it seems to make sense. Any other units come to mind?

Archaeo, I like the idea of only requiring D5 for the Monstrum since I wondered if anyone would summon it even at a cost of 20 D gems and considered giving it 1 or 2 misc slots in addition to the head slot to make it more appealing. Having a cost of 35 gems for the Monstra and Earth Cyclops is also worth considering, though in the case of the Earth Cyclops I want to be careful of setting the cost too low on an SC with full slots.
Old August 15th, 2009, 12:07 AM

First Lieutenant

Dragar is on a distinguished road

I really shouldn't be playing but i love these setting, so put me down for Tien Chi please