.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old January 18th, 2010, 04:42 PM

Major General

Gregstrom is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Blood Red (recruiting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baalz View Post
For balance purposes I'd say Sauromatia is a decent yard stick - they've got a lot of the same flavors and are a powerful nation. All of Sauro's troops have scale mail, plate seems pretty unthematic to me - but that's just my opinion. If it is used, it makes sense to put the heavier armor at map move 1.
Onyx amazons are down in their descriptions as making heavier armour than other amazons. If you're talking thematic, wearing a cuirass is more of a greek thing than middle eastern - but they're a greek myth so I think it could be gotten away with.
I was working on the principle that MA armour tends to improve a little over EA armour, and the step to a plate cuirass (NOT hauberk - the cuirass is what units like Ermor's Centurions wear and is generally mapmove 2) didn't look like a big one.

Quote:
Dragon scale is fine thematically, but it should have a very high resource cost and only be on one or two elite unit types - both for balance and just from common sense.
Sounds reasonable enough to me. What resource cost are we talking - 20?

Quote:
Pegasus riders seem more like a 80-100 gold recruit to me : sacred, flying cavalry with a high defense and a poison bow.
Well, the indy ones are 50. How much extra is a poison bow worth, given you can't mass them in the numbers Sauro can?

Quote:
I'd also raise Jade Maiden's price a little bit, they're quite cheep compared to other sacred cavalry. I might peg them even a little more costly than the Sauro Oirorpata if they're not cap only and have poison resistance, if they were...maybe 60 gold (along with more expensive pegasi) then there probably wouldn't be a balance issue with having the sacreds recruit everywhere - though I can't think of any other nation with recruit anywhere sacred cavalry.
Jade Maidens are pretty much the nation's shock troops as things stand currently. They're very affordable, and have an attack that's better than str 9 + spear. Bumping their cost and cutting back on infantry armour will be interesting, and could well be beneficial by promoting the use of a greater range of units.

Want to use multiple mods? The Mod Compatibility Index might be useful.
Old January 18th, 2010, 07:08 PM

Major General

Baalz will become famous soon enough

Hmmm, I was comparing the pegasus riders to EA Arco's wind riders and the Gryphon Riders but I suppose they're actually decently weaker. Poison arrows aren't that big a consideration on units too expensive to really mass. 50 is probably a decent price for them.

On the dragon scale, I don't know...as it is it's superior to the dragon scale mail which takes constr-6 research and 10 gems (minus the elemental resistance). Its clearly superior to every other non-forged armor in the game - it may need to be dialed back a bit even with a resource bump.
Old January 18th, 2010, 07:11 PM

Major General

Baalz will become famous soon enough

Alright, I'll give it another 24 hours for sign ups, then we can see how many we've got so we can discuss maps and do whatever work we need to get the selected nations working together.
Old January 18th, 2010, 10:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

Digress is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Blood Red (recruiting - last call)

I would like to give Agra Dis a run.
Old January 19th, 2010, 12:56 AM

BANNED USER

pyg is on a distinguished road

Here is a test mod for this game. It may have some problems, and will certainly be replaced by a final version. It includes nations up to Arga Dis and has all the mods for the game (including CBM 1.6). You absolutely must disable ALL other mods!
Attached Files
File Type: zip bloodred.zip (1.00 MB, 90 views)
Old January 19th, 2010, 04:39 AM

Major General

Gregstrom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
On the dragon scale, I don't know...as it is it's superior to the dragon scale mail which takes constr-6 research and 10 gems (minus the elemental resistance). Its clearly superior to every other non-forged armor in the game - it may need to be dialed back a bit even with a resource bump.
It's amazing armour to have for free on a mage, but on cavalry it's just 15 prot, -1 def. That's pretty special, but less special than Ulm's Black Plate and only a little better than a plate cuirass (14 prot, -1 def).

It can't be dialled back as is, because it's using the stats for the forged dragon scale mail. However, creating a new armour type isn't very challenging - what were you thinking the stats should be?

Peryton riders may still be a concern, as they benefit more from good armour with low enc.

Want to use multiple mods? The Mod Compatibility Index might be useful.
Old January 19th, 2010, 04:52 AM

BANNED USER

Trumanator is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyg View Post
Here is a test mod for this game. It may have some problems, and will certainly be replaced by a final version. It includes nations up to Arga Dis and has all the mods for the game (including CBM 1.6). You absolutely must disable ALL other mods!
Well possible bug number one: the "Mastermind" pretender for Alugra has the "slayer runeaxe" effect on her "tricks of the street" attack. Seemed a little odd.
The Following User Says Thank You to Trumanator For This Useful Post:
Old January 19th, 2010, 05:36 AM

Captain

Jarkko is on a distinguished road

If you accept non-mod nations, then I could join with Eriu to test this cunning plan I have come up with
Old January 19th, 2010, 06:03 AM

Sergeant

Ferrosol is on a distinguished road

I will take the Skaven.
Old January 19th, 2010, 11:51 AM

BANNED USER

pyg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanator View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyg View Post
Well possible bug number one: the "Mastermind" pretender for Alugra has the "slayer runeaxe" effect on her "tricks of the street" attack. Seemed a little odd.
Good catch. DMG doesn't renumber secondaryeffect yet, so it's crossing with another mod. This will be fixed in next version of this mod.