.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old February 14th, 2010, 03:34 PM

BANNED USER

Trumanator is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A Gentlmen's DAR with the Ogres

Okay, sorry for the long silence. I took rdonj's advice and started writing stuff immediately after doing the turn. So I'll paste my notes for turns 8 and 9 here. Unfortunately its been too long since 6-7, so I really can't reliably discuss them.

Ogres turn 8

So now that I have a suitable location for my henchfiend factory (the wooded isle) and have put down a lab with my dragon, I'm going to start pumping them out. I'm also recruiting a slave giant, since it is pretty badass once I throw down some of my national buffs on it, and will help me with some of the tougher indies and nations.

Ogres DAR trn 9- As you will notice upon opening the turn, I have discovered that TC appears to be under attack by Brettonia. Also, my bloodhunting operation is starting to get into swing, as is my henchfiend factory. Noticing that my dragon has conquered a very valuable knights/longbows province, I'm immediately sending a scout over to throw down a fort. My slave giant and hero are heading over to that stubborn indy province in the east to clear things up. Other than that there really isn't much for me to tell you about.

Also, any questions anyone has about my strategy, ogres, or general early game stuff feel free, so long as it doesn't stray too off topic.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Ogres 6-9.rar (60.7 KB, 53 views)
Old February 14th, 2010, 04:15 PM

BANNED USER

Frozen Lama is on a distinguished road

since some of us are lazy, and also so that you can compete with cleveland's DAR you should post screenies.
Old February 14th, 2010, 04:41 PM

BANNED USER

I actually don't really know how to do that Could someone explain?
Old February 14th, 2010, 04:42 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanator View Post
Okay, sorry for the long silence. I took rdonj's advice and started writing stuff immediately after doing the turn. So I'll paste my notes for turns 8 and 9 here. Unfortunately its been too long since 6-7, so I really can't reliably discuss them.

Ogres turn 8

So now that I have a suitable location for my henchfiend factory (the wooded isle) and have put down a lab with my dragon, I'm going to start pumping them out. I'm also recruiting a slave giant, since it is pretty badass once I throw down some of my national buffs on it, and will help me with some of the tougher indies and nations.

Ogres DAR trn 9- As you will notice upon opening the turn, I have discovered that TC appears to be under attack by Brettonia. Also, my bloodhunting operation is starting to get into swing, as is my henchfiend factory. Noticing that my dragon has conquered a very valuable knights/longbows province, I'm immediately sending a scout over to throw down a fort. My slave giant and hero are heading over to that stubborn indy province in the east to clear things up. Other than that there really isn't much for me to tell you about.

Also, any questions anyone has about my strategy, ogres, or general early game stuff feel free, so long as it doesn't stray too off topic.
Much better Posting your thoughts and the decision making process really helps make the AAR more interesting.

Edit: Truman, you'd have to use an image hosting site, and then use the insert image button (right next to the link and quote button) to link to the image.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old February 14th, 2010, 04:48 PM

BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanator View Post
I actually don't really know how to do that Could someone explain?
i think i might have it. hit go advanced and then manage attatchments and upload the pic. do you know how to take a screen shot? i think its the print screen button, then paste it into gimp or something.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	9488  
Old February 14th, 2010, 05:22 PM

Corporal

Isokron is on a distinguished road

One question about your expansion. I haven't tried out ogres but wouldn't it be more efficient to use pitfighters with their high protection for expansion to avoid the kind of attrition you have seen on your bulls? Might need an extra turn initially to get a party together but it should then be able to go for a long time.
Old February 14th, 2010, 05:25 PM

BANNED USER

You might be right, but Pitfighters are very hard to mass, and my bless would not be at all helpful for their enc problem. At least, that's the thinking I had behind it.
Old February 14th, 2010, 05:50 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Oh that's right, this forum allows you to keep albums... so you could use that to keep your pictures. I've not messed around with that though.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old February 16th, 2010, 10:58 PM

BANNED USER

Okay, turns 10-12 here.

Ogres turn 10- Well, unfortunately I'm too short on cash to immediately begin construction of a fort on the longbow province. However, I am sending my slave giant and hero to try and take that stubborn indy province to the east. I'm also sending my Dragon to see if I can grab a few more indies to the north.

Ogres turn 11- Well Brettonia has effectively finished off TC. I think I'm going to see if I can make nice with them! As you will see once you review the turn, my attack on the Eastern indies didn't quite go as planned, but turned out all right. I also have enough money to start my fort on my new border with Brettonia, and I will be able to do a little more expansion with my dragon to the north.

Ogres turn 12- Things continue to go well. My dragon takes another province, but I'm going to take him back to my cap so he will have max hp when he attacks the next province, which has knights in it. I also have some more bloodhunting provinces coming online, which is always a good thing. Best of all though, Brettonia's magic domain has spread to my henchfiend factory, improving my research The only worriesome bit for me is the lack of response as of yet to my diplomatic overtures to Brettonia, and Atlantis having already reached that other island I was hoping to conquer.

I'm also attaching a screenshot from turn 11.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ogre kingdoms trn 11.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	9519  
Attached Files
File Type: rar Ogres 10-12.rar (48.4 KB, 53 views)
Old February 17th, 2010, 12:14 AM

BANNED USER

ummm magic dominion doesn't help if its not your own