.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 24th, 2006, 10:33 AM

Corporal

upstreamedge is on a distinguished road
Default Broken Nations

I think some of the nations are broken, and I want to know weather people agree with me or I just am bad at this game.

LE Ermor, Ashen Empire- I have found that there is no way to compete with the amount of troops, and points from the negative scales, and the power of those negative scales. Oh ya, and all the death gems.

LE R'yleh, Dreamscape- Vastness on turn 3, enough said
Old October 24th, 2006, 10:36 AM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Broken Nations

LA Ermor, well, people have managed to kill off Ermor before, they can do it again. In the past it mostly featured making sure AI is not up against it and ganging against it in multiplayer...

LE R'lyeh is a beast, but I've never seen a Vastness by turn 3. Actually, I've had worse luck than usual with their void summonings as the gate keeps sucking my mages into it.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old October 24th, 2006, 10:39 AM

Major

Teraswaerto is on a distinguished road

Banishment takes care of the Ermor hordes.
Old October 24th, 2006, 10:40 AM

Lieutenant General

I'd say that EA Van and Hel need to be re-evaluated. As of now they are insanely powerful with everything from acces to Blade Wind (the ultimate combat spell in EA) to Air magic (and everyone knows how good it is) to troops that can sneak and are superb in combat.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old October 24th, 2006, 10:58 AM

Private

CogDissident is on a distinguished road

Ashen eremor is easy, you just need to produce priests everywhere. If your fighting them, then every temple you have should be spitting out a priest every turn, because 1 priest can kill about 10 undead per round, even an 800 unit horde falls to 20 generic priests (which cost equal to a castle, 1000gp total) in 4 combat turns (well, maybe more like 6-8 because you'll start to miss after you kill the first 400). But you just put some units on hold+attack in front to keep the undead off your priests, and theres no way that they'll do anything. Killing 800 undead without losing anything significant is certainly a way to annihilate eremor easilly.
Old October 24th, 2006, 11:15 AM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
upstreamedge said:
LE R'yleh, Dreamscape- Vastness on turn 3, enough said
What's scary about a vastness? It can barely deal with triton independents when alone, so your own nations troops should have no problem.
Old October 24th, 2006, 11:22 AM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Graeme Dice said:What's scary about a vastness? It can barely deal with triton independents when alone, so your own nations troops should have no problem.
It's a nice Mind Blast battery and Blood Vengeange is always giggly. But it's not good on melee.

- Kristoffer O.
Old October 24th, 2006, 11:25 AM

Second Lieutenant

Peter Ebbesen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
upstreamedge said:
LE Ermor, Ashen Empire- I have found that there is no way to compete with the amount of troops, and points from the negative scales, and the power of those negative scales. Oh ya, and all the death gems.
Lesson one about fighting Ashen Empire: The REAL war has little to do with number of troops and everything to do with commanders.

So long as you focus on number of troops where Ashen Empire is concerned, you are worrying about the wrong thing and are setting yourself up for defeat if fighting a human controlled Ermor.

There are lots of ways to deal with the troops (drive-by-priesting for attrition, archery and high protection units shielding ranks of mages using the anti-undead spells or priests banishing for all they are worth, and later in the game you can use mass casualty battlefield spells) - the real war is killing off their commanders. As a rule of thumb, the loss of a single Dusk Elder or Arch Bishop hurts an Ermorian player more than the loss of a few thousand troops on all but the smallest of maps.

The only nations I consider close to broken are those with sacred units with high survivability, high overall stats, preferably two attacks, AND cheap production costs. Very few nations have the combination of all four, but those that do are absolute monsters with a F9W9 blessing strategy.

A few nations, mainly from the early age, come to mind as being in the "those sacred should cost way more gold and resources than they do currently" category, namely Vanheim, Helheim, and, to a lesser degree due to lesser survivability, Sauromatia. Their sacred units would still be good for high-bless strategies if their gold and resource costs were doubled.
Old October 24th, 2006, 11:27 AM

Lieutenant General

Sauro's blessables suffer from the One attack that is #nostr syndrome, but they are admitedly nasty.

- Kristoffer O.
Old October 24th, 2006, 11:33 AM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Peter Ebbesen said:
Quote:
upstreamedge said:
Lesson one about fighting Ashen Empire: The REAL war has little to do with number of troops and everything to do with commanders.

So long as you focus on number of troops where Ashen Empire is concerned, you are worrying about the wrong thing and are setting yourself up for defeat if fighting a human controlled Ermor.

There are lots of ways to deal with the troops (drive-by-priesting for attrition, archery and high protection units shielding ranks of mages using the anti-undead spells or priests banishing for all they are worth, and later in the game you can use mass casualty battlefield spells) - the real war is killing off their commanders. As a rule of thumb, the loss of a single Dusk Elder or Arch Bishop hurts an Ermorian player more than the loss of a few thousand troops on all but the smallest of maps.

The only nations I consider close to broken are those with sacred units with high survivability, high overall stats, preferably two attacks, AND cheap production costs. Very few nations have the combination of all four, but those that do are absolute monsters with a F9W9 blessing strategy.

A few nations, mainly from the early age, come to mind as being in the "those sacred should cost way more gold and resources than they do currently" category, namely Vanheim, Helheim, and, to a lesser degree due to lesser survivability, Sauromatia. Their sacred units would still be good for high-bless strategies if their gold and resource costs were doubled.
mictlan, and tienchi are also very strong in the EA in blitz games. You can mass produce the cheap and good sacreds. Nifelheim is also very good, however their sacreds at least expensive.

AE Ermor is a special nation, and dont think that you can beat AE Ermor with a simple priest - banish tactic.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."