.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old February 9th, 2004, 11:38 AM

BANNED USER

dzbabi is on a distinguished road
Default FAQ for Germans who like to buy that game!

Hi all,

This is for all Germans who like to buy Dominions 2.

http://www.ixsoft.de/

You get it form this Linux shop, but it works also under Windows.
You should also copy your passport because the game is official not avalible in Germany so you are only able to buy it when you are 18+ years old.
I ordered it from there after bothering all gameshops in my region(including the bis shops like saturn and Mediamarkt)

So Germans, stay tuned and buy that game:-)

Cya

Griffin the Inquisitor
Old February 9th, 2004, 12:24 PM

Sergeant

Karacan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: FAQ for Germans who like to buy that game!

Hmm, I think it's a lot cheaper ordering directly from Shrapnel - which I did. It costs about 50$ including standard shipping to do so, and ixsoft asks for 49?... given the current exchange rate, I know what I'd pick (and since I am currently getting paid in US-$: could you americans please do something about that? Thank you...).

Still, the freebies you get at ixsoft might nearly make it worth, though...
Old February 10th, 2004, 12:38 AM

First Lieutenant

PhilD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Arralen:
Add 15% whatever-tax, and think again
My game was ordered from the Shrapnel site, and while I didn't pay for it (it was a birthday present - the best in quite some time), I don't think my girlfriend paid taxes on it. Certainly no custom taxes when it arrived in France.
Old February 10th, 2004, 02:46 AM

Major General

Arralen is on a distinguished road

Add 15% whatever-tax, and think again
Old February 10th, 2004, 11:03 AM

Sergeant

CharonJr is on a distinguished road

Well, I think it mainly depends on how lucky you are, either customs is looking at your package - then you will have to pay the VAT - or if you get lucky, they don't and you get it without having to pay any tax

CharonJr
Old February 10th, 2004, 01:10 PM

Captain

Chazar is on a distinguished road

Umh, has anyone tried tuxgames.com? They sell it for 45$, shipping to germany (or elsewhere in europe) adds ~5$. Given the current exchange rate at PayPal (they accept credit card, paypal, etc) that'll be <40EUR, which is certainly better than the ixsoft offer...

Now I've never ordered oversea so far. What about tax? What about the proof that I'm an adult? I'm a bit scared to try this out. Any experiences?
Old February 10th, 2004, 03:18 PM

Corporal

BugRoger is on a distinguished road

Well, I sometimes order stuff from overseas. Usually it's suprisingly fast. I once ordered some electronics in Hong Kong and received my package after two days.

UPS called me once because the store I ordered from declared my package as gift and didn't include any specifics about the content. I was told that the package would probably get stuck in customs if I can't provide information about the content. I told them what's inside the package and received it the next day. But beside that I didn't have any problems.

The downside ist that you have to pay VAT and custom fees. It's especially mean that they include the shipping costs and VAT you already payed to the total value of the order before applying the local VAT and custom fees.

So if you order Dominions from Shrapnel's Online shop you have to pay 50$ for the game (which might already include VAT for the US or not. I don't know. The american VAT system is a mystery to me. And it's different from state to state. Maybe somebody can clarify that). The shipping costs are supposed to be 4.15$. That currently totals to 44€ including 1% for your CC company. Now you have to pay 7€ VAT (16% for Germany) and 3€ customs (~6% for Germany). That adds up to 54€.

Now somebody mentioned that Dominions will be shipped as a book and you don't have to pay the customs fee. You probably don't even have to pay VAT either but I'm not sure about that. If so it would be a pretty good deal for 44€.

So all in all ordering from Shrapnel's webshop might be the same than ordering from ix-soft. I bet that ix-soft is faster though.

Now if you find a shop that is in Europe you don't have to pay VAT (i think) nor Customs.

[ February 10, 2004, 13:31: Message edited by: BugRoger ]