.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old November 19th, 2007, 10:53 AM

Captain

Twan is on a distinguished road
Default King of the Isle (finished)

This game is on my World of Geometry (the final .map file and tga are on the maps & mods forum, I won't change anything just fix eventual connection/terrains/command errors untill game start).

This game will start the first week of december.

There are 12 starting locations on the map : 10 land and 2 sea nations, and I hope all will be fullfilled.

The game will be PBEM and the settings...
- VC : 3 cumulative victory points, no added VPs (there is only one VP, the Isle of Eternia ; and the isle is hard to take and harder to defend, as it's connected with 10 provinces, 3 cvp may mean a relatively long game if there is some competition)
- Middle Age
- nations : free choice (first to speak first served)
- Indie Strength : 6 (with all the special encounters and bonus garrisons no need of a high setting)
- HoF : 15
- site frequency : a little more than normal (50)
- master password : (no need on llamaserver)
- renaming allowed
- other settings default
- mod : Worthy Heroes 1.8
- graphs : On
- house rules : finally no house rule about forts building on the isle but one I think everybody will agree for :
For the 5 first turns, turn will be rehosted if someone suffer a game breaking event - events considered game breaking are only : Bogus, vampire count or other indies succeeding to take the capitol, plague or exodus in the capitol, or a religious event dominion killing the nation ; unrest events and other little annoyances aren't concerned -

- pace : one turn = 24h for the moment (48h after 10-15 turns/once someone ask, 72 when empires will be big)

Stale rule :
-third non announced stale turn --> AI (but if someone can't play and ask for a reasonable delay -not 37 days - I will differ the turn of course)
-if you want to stop please tell us before, we'll rather try to find a sub

Note that it's the first dom III game I host.

Players :
- me (Arcocephale)
- Herode (C'Tis)
- davidd (Machaka)
- Solmyr (Atlantis) -> no longer playing
- DryaUnda (Ulm)
- LDICesare (Eriu) -> destroyed
- Indyependant (Ermor)
- Zeldor (Man)
- Tharsonius (Rlyeh) -> A.I (!?)
- Ubercat (Jotunheim) -> A.I
- Mathusalem (Caelum) -> A.I
- Ferrosol (Bandar Log) -> replaced by Gregstorm

EDIT : The game will be hosted on llamaserver, so you don't need to send me anything, send your pretenders to pretenders(at)llamaserver(dot)net with KingoftheIsle as the subject, if possible for tomorrow so we can start the 1/12.

- and it's finally useless to give them a password -

(llamaserver FAQ)

PS : everyone must rename the "worldofgeometry.tga" --> "worldofgeometry2.tga" (I'll use a map file with this name, so Zeldor and Tharsonius will have no problem to play another game with the older version)
Old November 19th, 2007, 11:45 AM

Captain

Evilhomer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: King of the Isle (recruiting - won\'t start fas

If it is 2 weeks until start count me in as atlantis or Oceania (the one that gets picked last by other players). If it starts before I might have to step down.
Old November 19th, 2007, 12:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

AlgaeNymph is on a distinguished road

I've read bad things about Ulm, so I'll give Ulm a try.
Old November 19th, 2007, 01:04 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Hum, the DangerPudding game is already using your map, Twan... Although it is not using a VP victory. But for feedback on the map it should serve the same purpose.
Emergency comic relief
Old November 19th, 2007, 01:17 PM

Captain

Quote:
lch said:
Hum, the DangerPudding game is already using your map, Twan... Although it is not using a VP victory. But for feedback on the map it should serve the same purpose.
Wow, you were fast to use it (be aware the map may still have some connection errors, I was thinking I had verified all but someone has found one missing neighbor yesterday).

Give me news of your game (especially how do the garrisons with big monsters against player armies, I want to adjust some before I start mine, so no player get too easy or terribly hard encounters between his start position and a gateway).
Old November 19th, 2007, 02:02 PM

Second Lieutenant

IndyPendant is on a distinguished road

Count me in!

I'll post later with my nation choice.
Old November 19th, 2007, 02:21 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Twan said:
Wow, you were fast to use it (be aware the map may still have some connection errors, I was thinking I had verified all but someone has found one missing neighbor yesterday).
We're using the 3.01 version, so that is already fixed. I'll encourage people to write something about the map when they're finished with the game, be it good or bad feedback.
Emergency comic relief
Old November 19th, 2007, 01:06 PM

Captain

Quote:
Evilhomer said:
If it is 2 weeks until start count me in as atlantis or Oceania (the one that gets picked last by other players). If it starts before I might have to step down.
Ok we won't start before the beginning of december (if possible the first week-end, to make 1 or more turns the first days).
Old November 21st, 2007, 07:54 AM

Second Lieutenant

AlgaeNymph is on a distinguished road
Default Re: King of the Isle (full if all confirm)

Quote:
Twan said:
II was going to propose : "castle building on the isle not allowed", but as events may make a castle appear it's not necessarily a good/enforceable idea... so I have another proposal : I add a watchtower on the isle, and it would be destroying it to build a better castle there that will be forbidden
I wouldn't worry about castles as there are all kinds of ways to reduce their advantage. Large garrisons are vulnerable to Beckoning, Flames from the Sky, Leprosy, Lure of the Deep, and Melancholia. Essential commanders (e.g, nature mages, engineers, etc) are vulnerable to assassination spells like Earth Attack and Seeking Arrow (ask Janlm about that last spell), as well as assassination in general. All this is not to mention units and items that ease besieging a castle.
Old November 21st, 2007, 09:33 AM

Captain

Default Re: King of the Isle (full if all confirm)

The problem I see with a (good) castle on the isle is more if the province is very contested (i.e 4 or 5 players owning neighbouring provinces and fighting to be the one taking the isle). In this situation, a siege can be very hard to end, as the competition between other players can help a lot the sieged one (ie : player A siege B, player C, D E try to take the province, C wins but after the 2 or 3 battles he had to fight the surviving army is too small to breach the walls, next turn same situation, etc...). An army with nature mages and good units may resist very well in this kind of situation, especially as spells cast on the province by all players but one will affect the sieging army first (iirc only the player who is sieging can affect defenders with spells, all spells cast by third parties rather affect the bessieger - but I may be wrong).

Of course diplomacy may solve the problem, but as there is only one VP I think it would be hard for all the wanabe bessiegers to find a agreement.