.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old November 21st, 2011, 11:41 PM

Sergeant

Samhain is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Nations - MA, CBM 1.6, max lvl 6, NI, Assimilation - Olm/Man and Louist/Ulm win!

I'll try to recap Eriu's early position as best as I can. But, due as the time crunch that forced me out of the game was a creeping condition, I took scant notes.

Here was my design for Cailleach.

Physical: Crone
Awakening: Dormant
Magic: F4W4E4S4D4N4
Dominion: 4
Scales: S2C1L3M1

My strategy was to have a healthy enough gold income to build plenty of forts and push out a Tuatha and loads of Sidhe Lords every turn. Cailleach's purpose was to site search early then later summon some good mid game undead mucle with Hidden in Sand and Hidden in Snow. Spectres, mainly to guard against Mind Hunt, was to be my primary use of Death gems. Later, she would forge key gear for my top thugs.

The bless went far short of the classic Eriu/Tir Na N'Og bless of E9N4+. But, with no indie mages I felt the magic diversity was going to serve me better in the long run than the uber raider bless.

Expansion went well save for getting penned in by mountains and Arcosphale's expansion to his east. I envisioned the 28 cap nation to expand to the southwest after securing its adjacent provinces. Of course, ghoul31 went right into me.

When he built a fort in 40, I felt war was better sooner rather than later. Unfortunately, I completely underestimated the number of chariots he had. My Sidhe Lords couldn't lay down the False Fetters fast enough. He drove me back nearly to my own cap before Ulm weighed in on the other side and I was able to regain some territory before calling for a NAP to turn 36.

Fortunately, I lost no, or perhaps almost no, commanders. Still, I needed some peace to get things back on track. I was too busy at that point for war anyway. I turned the game over to Buzzsaw before things got interesting again.
Old November 25th, 2011, 05:14 PM

Major General

Valerius is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Nations - MA, CBM 1.6, max lvl 6, NI, Assimilation - Olm/Man and Louist/Ulm win!

Ok, time for the final showdown. My gorgon is breaking the siege of 53 this turn. I'll force host when I see your turn is in.
Old November 25th, 2011, 05:21 PM

Sergeant

Olm is on a distinguished road

Lets Go.
Old November 25th, 2011, 05:26 PM

Major General

Hosting now...
Old November 25th, 2011, 05:39 PM

Major General

Poor gorgon. I guess I should have had better offensive capabilities instead of two shields. I actually thought I might autoroute and under normal circumstances would have made sure to have an escape province.

However, this doesn't change my opinion that the gorgon was OP for these game settings. She's not invulnerable (Eriu's thugs could have done something similar fairly early on and of course Arco had S magic) but having what is essentially a reusable Aegis available in a level 6 max magic game is IMO too much.
Old November 25th, 2011, 05:40 PM

Sergeant

Thanks for the fight.
I tried to do it with not too much mage support, but rather with my own thugs.
What works best are the Troll Kings with Amulets of Antimagic and AP weapon. The Lord Wardens were not bad either but I'd have to pack quite a few with AP to really do the trick. In this fight they were not enough.
Bolas are useless against Fire resistance.
What was strange: No Vine Bow fired. They were all ordered to fire large monsters.
Why did your Eye Shield not work? I thought its blind without chance to avoid it?
And the Vine Schields didn't make much contact either.
Old November 25th, 2011, 05:56 PM

Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olm View Post
Why did your Eye Shield not work? I thought its blind without chance to avoid it?
There's definitely a resistance roll. I think it's probably just a normal MR roll but I know that high MR units fair a lot better than average MR ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olm View Post
And the Vine Schields didn't make much contact either.
That's true. Also strange about the vine bows. It might be worth running the battle in debug mode.

Btw, the axe of hate was a nice touch. If that had landed a hit the battle might have been over within a couple of rounds. If I hadn't had the blood slaves as blockers it might have turned out that way (you said no other units but since she can teleport with them and it's easy to restock them with harpies when she's out in the field I figured that was ok).

I also gave the gorgon some gems hoping she might use them to reduce fatigue but of course that didn't happen.
Old November 25th, 2011, 06:19 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerius View Post

Btw, the axe of hate was a nice touch. If that had landed a hit the battle might have been over within a couple of rounds. If I hadn't had the blood slaves as blockers it might have turned out that way (you said no other units but since she can teleport with them and it's easy to restock them with harpies when she's out in the field I figured that was ok).
No problem.
I hoped to get you with the axe and the winged shoes before buffing.
The axe of hate seems to me a very good anti SC weapon, i'd definitly bring more next time I face a similar situation.
I tried to Gift of Flight some more units to interrupt you, but my mothers chose their targets poorly.

I just tried the -dd flag the first time and wrote the debug info to a file. But its that much information, I essentially don't understand a thing.
Is there a guide somewhere how to read this?
Old November 25th, 2011, 06:44 PM

Major General

I don't know of any guides and I'm fairly certain it's not in the modding documentation either.

But I see these lines repeatedly:

Too high friendly fire for Forester (unit7965 snr-1)
Too high friendly fire for Forester (unit12599 snr-1)
Too high friendly fire for Sleeper (unit14239 snr-1)
Too high friendly fire for Forester (unit15493 snr-1)