.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Multiplayer & AARs

Old June 15th, 2005, 02:50 PM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New MP Game - Random, Anonymous, No Diplomacy

Arryn's site probably has all mods, with the possible exception of the Heroes one, as it was released very recently.

Panther: there is a problem with me playing though, as we go with random nations, so I won't be able to design my Pretender before leaving (unless nations are assigned before I leave, so while you are away). If you feel like going that way, I'm fine with taking care of nations left unattended: if it's not a frequent occurrence (and I hope it won't be the case), there should be no problems with the sharing of information... of course, if five nations are currently staling, it will be another matter altogether.
Old June 15th, 2005, 03:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

Turin is on a distinguished road

arryn´s site has my mod. it´s scary how fast that site gets updated.

Here are the links for all the mods:
http://www.dominions-2.org/downloads/heroes1_1.zip
http://www.dominions-2.org/downloads/conceptp22.zip
http://www.dominions-2.org/downloads/concepts18.zip
http://www.dominions-2.org/downloads/conceptscale12.zip
http://www.dominions-2.org/downloads/conceptmi.zip
Old June 15th, 2005, 04:17 PM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road

this is great. thanks!
Old June 15th, 2005, 05:44 PM

Major

The Panther is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Alneyan said:
Panther: there is a problem with me playing though, as we go with random nations, so I won't be able to design my Pretender before leaving (unless nations are assigned before I leave, so while you are away). If you feel like going that way, I'm fine with taking care of nations left unattended: if it's not a frequent occurrence (and I hope it won't be the case), there should be no problems with the sharing of information... of course, if five nations are currently staling, it will be another matter altogether.
Based on the responses so far, I expect that we will achieve a full 17 players fairly soon. If so, then I would further expect the nations to be randomly assigned while I am gone. So you will have plenty of time to create a pretender before your vacation begins.

One thing I have always noticed is just how painfully long it takes to get a game started on TCP/IP. Stops and starts are common. The first turn takes forever because people have forgoten about it or can't be tracked down soon and the first turn is almost never done as QH. Also, there are the people who didn't use the correct mods or totally messed up their pretender design. Restarts seem to happen frequently.

So, even with a July 1 target, it probably will be quite a bit longer before the game gets into full swing as a 2 day QH.

Perhaps this game can be played on MoseHansen and everybody simply stays anonymous, though it might be VERY difficult to know if every pretender was uploaded by the correct player.

Finally, I don't understand what you were trying to say about handling the unattended nations. Am I to imply that you were thinking of offering to host instead of playing?
Old June 15th, 2005, 07:17 PM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road

The game sounds interesting. I am in too.

Two questions:
Do you design your god for your nation or do you get assigned a nation with a predesigned God from another player?
Can you freely chose your theme?
Old June 15th, 2005, 09:48 PM

Major

Quote:
Boron said:
Two questions:
Do you design your god for your nation or do you get assigned a nation with a predesigned God from another player?
Can you freely chose your theme?
You design your own pretender after being assigned the nation. No restrictions at all on Pretender design, choose anything you want under the Zen mods.

I know that several people are saying the Dracolich is overpowered, and maybe it is. However, that pretender is getting ripped in a 1v1 that I am hosting right now, so it surely can be beat.
Old June 15th, 2005, 10:07 PM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The Panther said:
You design your own pretender after being assigned the nation. No restrictions at all on Pretender design, choose anything you want under the Zen mods.

Ok cool. Will be definitely interesting. Will you pm the participants their nations then or will you just publish them on the board, i.e. reveal them to public?

Quote:
The Panther said:
I know that several people are saying the Dracolich is overpowered, and maybe it is. However, that pretender is getting ripped in a 1v1 that I am hosting right now, so it surely can be beat.
Yeah Zen nerfed the Dracolich in 2.2. So it is no longer a concern .
Old June 16th, 2005, 01:55 AM

Major

Quote:
Boron said:
Will you pm the participants their nations then or will you just publish them on the board, i.e. reveal them to public?

I don't know exactly how the information transfer is going to happen, for it depends on the host. But the nation assignments will be kept secret. This means that if you are next to Abysia, then you will have no clue as to who is playing that nation.
Old June 16th, 2005, 02:26 AM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The Panther said:
I don't know exactly how the informationm transfer is going too happen, for it depends on the host. But the nation assignments will be kept secret. This means that if you are next to Abysia, then you will have no clue as to who is playing that nation.
Are not all men neighbors? If I transgress against a stranger, do I not transgress against all men? Peace is the only way to true enlightenment and profit....

So.... Rest In Peace, comrades.
Old June 16th, 2005, 04:43 AM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road

Well, you could start the game as a PBEM, solving all problems with checking who is sending a Pretender for what nation; it would alwaus be possible to switch to TCP/IP once the game is underway.

What I was suggesting was taking over any dying nation left unattended in those "back against the wall" situations, but I am not sure if there would be much of a point, so you should scratch that.