This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old June 15th, 2003, 11:04 PM

Brigadier General

Timstone is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Babylon 5 Mod

Well, make them a little bit more understandable for the mere mortal like me. I don't really understand anything of the sensors the way they are now. You did a hell of a job on the armor (even I get it now), maybe you could something simillar to the sensors too?

Men may control the free world, but women control the boobs.
Brent in Plaver vs. Player
Old June 16th, 2003, 12:43 AM

Sergeant

grumbler is on a distinguished road

Timstone: I would like to work with you on this 2.0 mod, if I could. Maybe another forum or even a yahoo egroup would be better than confusing this effort even more, but I like the idea of taking what is here and "rationalizing" it in some ways that cannot be done without causing unexpected faults in what is a workable system right now.

SJ: What I meant was to double even component "hull" sizes when doubling output, so that the effect is identical, but yet i don't have to count to figure out whether I have 23 or 24 of these 5 kt engines on my battleship so as to make the total energy requirements work out.

The next effect would be zero, except that ships would lose their speeds due to damage in a less smooth curve. It also wouldn't take three times as long to refit a ship as to build it!

TS: I have founf that when playing the game I actually only research the final stages in the existing reactor techs when I need something for a battleship. It is actually easier to get gravimetric reactors than A-M ones, and in general gravimetrics are better (though the small reactor is exactly like the small A-G one except more expensive).

If you want to keep some reactors out of the hands of some of the races, it should be trivial to add racial (i.e Ancient) requirements to the reactors themselves rather than to the techs needed to research them.

In fact, if you do things the way I envision, the ancients can do the same research that leads to, say, Fusion reactors for the younger races but get ancient ones instead. I mean, who believes that the ancients didn't have fusion reactors after a million years anyway!

On the issue of the sensors and ECM: the existing system seems to me to be quite intuitive and elegant. They are one of the few areas I would leave exactly as is, given my druthers (except that maybe the basic sensors get too expensive reletive to the extended and elite ones, but I haven't done the research to say for sure that this is true, and I expect SJ has!).

Timstone, if you look back at maybe January or February's Posts, SJ explained the whole thing rather nicely. It's basically a system of diminishing returns with the additional types of sensors, designed to restrict them to the hulls that can afford the space.

[ June 16, 2003, 01:06: Message edited by: grumbler ]
Old June 16th, 2003, 02:00 AM

Major General

pathfinder is on a distinguished road

Suggestions on how to get a decent, simple upload for those who want to play/use the B5 Gold MOD. The pictures folder is the hang-up. Simply too big and looks like (to me atm) that I'll have to load each race individually (bleah!).

I have WinZip V 8.1.
Old June 16th, 2003, 02:05 AM

Sergeant

grumbler is on a distinguished road

I think there are some free "zip" programs that are better at "crunching" graphics files than good ol' winzip.

I will have to do some research to confirm this, though. Anyone have the answer off the top of their heads?
Old June 16th, 2003, 02:17 AM

Major General

Not interested in another program. Just a simple methodolgy so that folks will have a simple way to d/l the MOD.

[ June 16, 2003, 01:19: Message edited by: pathfinder ]
Old June 16th, 2003, 09:24 PM

Brigadier General

Grumbler: Thanks for the advise, but I'll continue alone on the mod untill I have some good idea how to give people (who want to) a clear and simple job. Sorry, be patient a little longer. In about two weeks I have full time again to continue on the mod. But thanks anyway for the enthusiasm, greatly apreciated.

Old June 16th, 2003, 10:07 PM

Brigadier General

Hmm... we still have the biggest thread, but the Ice cream thread is closing in rappidly. We have to do something about this guys.
Come on, post like maniacs!

Old June 16th, 2003, 11:56 PM

Major General

IF:In response to your e-mail and the 1.49 MOD and PBW: A very slow game to say the least. Not sure that it is condusive to enjoyable play. This is my first PBW so I have no other experiences to compare it to.
Old June 17th, 2003, 12:02 AM

First Lieutenant

jimbob is on a distinguished road

Mostly I'm posting to keep us ahead of the ice cream thread

PF: I've only played a handful of PBW games as well, but they were all running considerably faster than this one. I think only proportions is much slower in terms of R&D.

Still loving it though Especially now that we're back on track with the game turns.

The best way to have a good idea is to have lots of ideas.
-Linus Pauling
Take away paradox from the thinker and you have a professor.
-Søren Kierkegaard
Old June 17th, 2003, 04:15 AM

Sergeant

Rambie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by pathfinder:
IF:In response to your e-mail and the 1.49 MOD and PBW: A very slow game to say the least. Not sure that it is condusive to enjoyable play...
I haven't played any other MODs, but I have played many multiplayer SE4 games.

I agree that this is a very slow game, only my first colonies have managed to build ONLY 1 facility each...

I know you want a game that's more realistic in colony building, but I feel this is way to slow. As it is, your homeworld(s) are all you effectivly have for the entire game.