This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old October 12th, 2000, 11:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

Jubala is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Intelligence Opps

What about a prerequisite covert operation called "establish spy network" or something that has to be succesfully completed before any other op could be performed? And when counter intel foils one of your ops there's a slight chance they unravel whole or parts of your spy network based on how long it's been in place, number of succesful ops (maybe), and level of network. You know, 4 disgruntled teenagers planting bombs at the mining facility that wouldn't hire them or a fullfledged network with cells that don't know of each other and very deep undercover spymaster or something. You get the picture. The difficulty of establishing such a network would depend on level of network being established, amount of contact between races (treaties, mutual systems, wars (smugglers?), level of trade etc), race attitude (Xenophobes and such), population happines levels and so on.

So establishing a spy network at your intersettled 25+ year partner will be a piece of cake but establishing one with the aggressive Xenophobes you just met and are hellbent on wiping you off the galaxy will be tough as nails.

I also think different kinds of intel ops should generate different kinds of responses. Collecting information shouldn't generate to severe a response, like shaking a finger and saying naughty boy and not raise AI anger too much if at all. I mean, everybody does it in RL. But inciting a revolt should make the targets very angry and the response should be on the level of Shaking The Big Stick under your nose and demanding reparations Or Else.

Makes sense?
Old October 13th, 2000, 04:17 AM

Major General

Psitticine is on a distinguished road

I like those ideas! I think another consideration should be how physically different the alien race is from your own. If you are rock dwelling oxygen breathers, it should be harder to infiltrate methane breathing gas giant dwellers than it would be a race just like yours.
Old October 13th, 2000, 04:25 PM

Major General

Taqwus is on a distinguished road

Yeah. Building networks, perhaps with level 1,2,3 etc (successive levels raising perhaps both the ops you can try, and how fast you can do them). Counter-intel could lower the level or remove it entirely.

I was surprised in that psy/time game, when I subverted two planets and there was *no* response. Then the other two went, and the hapless neutral was left with a few ships and zero planets -- and still no apparent hostility. Interesting, considering that the culprit should have been a bit obvious (as you can't, say, incite rebellion on a third-party's behalf. That might be too evil.)

------------------
-- The thing that goes bump in the night
Old October 13th, 2000, 08:26 PM

Major General

Psitticine is on a distinguished road

It's a stretch but maybe they're, in some cases at least, not supposed to realize the rebellian was incited from outside as opposed to springing up from purely internal forces.