.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old November 16th, 2012, 11:26 AM

Second Lieutenant

Tiavals is on a distinguished road
Default Re: First War of Loemendor, EA, game underway

I could use a postponement of 24 hours to be safe.
Old November 16th, 2012, 03:15 PM

Captain

earcaraxe is on a distinguished road

postponed.
Old November 16th, 2012, 08:08 PM

First Lieutenant

jimbojones1971 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by earcaraxe View Post
absolutely.
Fear my hordes of easily banished and feeble undead cavalry! Mwahaha!
Old November 17th, 2012, 06:36 AM

Captain

for some reason llamaserver made me believe the hosting got postponed, but it didnt. it was the servers fault in some meaning. i rollbacked. please everyone read the rollback advices on llamaserver, per "fist war of loemendor", per admin options, per rollback.
Old November 17th, 2012, 01:30 PM

Captain

we made a rollback, so act occording to llamas instructions:

"This will cause the game to return to the previous turn.

Note that I generally recommend not doing this. The main reason for this is the fact that players have already seen the current turn, and so they know what would happen given the set of moves they used last time. Hence, consciously or not, they are very likely to use this information to change their actions next time they submit a turn. Even assuming none of the players' actions are affected, there will always be a suspicion in the mind of the other players if battles turn out significantly differently. Therefore just in the interest of having the game feel completely fair, I think rollbacks are a bad idea.

A further reason is a difficulty with game file confusion. Imagine turn 10 has just come out, and someone starts to play the turn. Then the game is rolled back to turn 9, and processed again to make a new turn 10. Unless players delete the 2h file they produced from the original turn 10, Dominions will not know to ignore it and may get seriously confused. This can cause a lot of madness, e.g. soldiers becoming commanders and gaining magic paths, and so on. So if you do do a rollback, make sure to remind players to delete their 2h files.

Having said that, there are situations where rollbacks are called for, which is why I've included the option here.

Read this next bit carefully. I seem to be having difficulties explaining it coherently:

Note that once the game is rolled back, it will appear that the game is waiting for 2h files from all players. However, the 2h files from last time the turn was played will in fact be there, and will be used if the game hosts without them being overwritten. This can be useful; often, a game is rehosted in order for only one or two players to retake their turns, while everyone else is expected to make no changes. The game admin can therefore wait till just those players have submitted, and then force hosting. None of the other players will stale (assuming they actually submitted a 2h file last time the turn was played)."
Old November 18th, 2012, 11:00 AM

Second Lieutenant

Welp, I'm doomed. Nice knowing you. Guess it's Agartha's victory, unless someone has a very mighty ace up their sleeve.
Old November 18th, 2012, 06:06 PM

Captain

I think i could put up a fight, and could even beat agarthas huge, main army on the eastern front, but in the end i dont see much of a chance, they have just too many provinces and gems, and im still fighting ulm too (altho it got to the point where it is quite one-sided, but still has a lot of provinces.), while having about half as much resources as the the one-eyeds.

when i got close enough to agartha to finally fight him, their terriory and gold/gem income lead was already huge.

If we all agree, then we can declare agartha and sziro the winner. very nicely played. a very good diplomat, and a careful strategist. and it was his very first MP game!

altho i consider it an important part of the story, the he was tremendously helped by:

-extremely imbalanced placement (as the only nation in the whole middle island, he had 27 provinces to expand to, while at least two other nations (me (lanka), sauro, and perhaps niefel had about 7-8),
-being the only "water" nation. (this was a good combo with the island)
-and having passive/docile neighbors.

I think Tiavals-TC made a mistake by handling Yomi the way he handled it, and had his forces nailed to yomis cap for much of the endgame, for too long. otherwise played very solid, and he is very cool guy too!

I was surprised about Jimbo missing a chance attacking agartha when he got into a war with caelum, or better yet, not forming an alliance with caelum and attacking agartha right after the expansion phase. jimbo is an otherwise cunning strategist, and bonus points for playing ea ermor! (for some reason not a popular choice)

thank u all for participating!
Old November 19th, 2012, 06:23 AM

First Lieutenant

jimbojones1971 is on a distinguished road

I've made some comments on the other forum, but the summary is:
1) I am a muppet;
2) Well played Sziro; and
3) Let's get the Second War of Loemendor (middle age) up and running :-)
Old November 19th, 2012, 10:35 AM

Second Lieutenant

I tried to think of reasonable ways to deal with Yomi, but I couldn't think of anything. I suppose I should have piled everything there and attack immediately, but I feared the attack would fail(as most of my attacks against him did) and he would prance upon my lands afterwards.

Besides, most of the garrison sieging the Yomi capital was composed of fairly useless guys, my mages were researaching nearby and so on.

In any case, I'm definitely joining in the middle game, hope everyone from this game does so too.

And congrats to Sziro.

You could change the topic's name so that all the world can see who won, and post on the hall of victors.