This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old June 21st, 2006, 11:27 PM

Captain

AgentZero is on a distinguished road
Default AZ: Working in IT

I was just wondering, how many people out there have jobs in the IT sector? I realize the term 'IT Sector' is a rather broad one, but I'm looking for a broad range of responses. The reason I ask is that I'm trying to make up my mind what sort of job I want to go to go get a degree for, and I figure since I've got a bit of an intuitive grasp of many things computer related, something in the IT sector would probably suit me just fine. The problem is, the IT sector being so broad and varried, I really don't know what's out there.

So, regardless of what you're doing, I'd ask that you post what job you have, what sort of education/experience you needed to get it, along with what sort of salary one might expect, any pros/cons you've found with the job, etc. Basically as much information as possible so I can get a good idea of what I'm getting myself into.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 09:59 AM

General

Ed Kolis is on a distinguished road
Default Re: AZ: Working in IT

I'm actually still studying toward my degree in IT, but my degree requires "cooperative education", which basically means that over the course of earning your degree, you will gain roughly a year, year and a half of real-world job experience, either at the university itself or (preferably) at some company which may then hire you on once you graduate. So right now I'm working for the university as a computer technician / application developer. More technician than developer at this point, but this summer I'll definitely be getting into the development part of things I'm earning $10 an hour, which <looks over shoulder > is from what I hear rather on the low end of things for this field, but it beats the pay where my brother is working "part-time" (really a lot more - he keeps getting suckered into more hours because he needs the cash ) in facilities management at his university
What I like about this particular job is that it's not very hectic - which from what I hear is not very typical either, so be warned - given that it's mainly reactive rather than proactive; so I have time to do things like reply to your post asking what my job is like That might change over the summer once I get busier into the programming; I don't know what kinds of deadlines my boss has set up for me! I also like not having to go out in inclement weather too much...
Well, hope that information has been helpful for you... wait a second, you're trying to make up your mind what sort of job you want a degree in? I thought you were older... don't tell me you're in high school too! Everyone around here seems to be getting younger and younger! Besides, aren't you making art for SE5? Maybe you should go into digital media... say, is Malfador actually paying you anything for that stuff or are you working for free?
Old June 22nd, 2006, 11:52 AM

Major General

Randallw is on a distinguished road

I recently started a new job part time handling online sales for a business. I make $17Aus an hour, which is about $12.50US. Not really a problem as I don't spend much (if you don't count books ), plus of course I still earn a pension (if you can call it earning). My qualifications are an Associate Diploma in Business and a Diploma in IT. To be honest there isn't that much opportunity for IT work here. The only other job I got was when I went to London in 2000. I find it pleasant. It's part time so I don't have to go to work till the afternoon, and of course it's not very rigorous, just managing the companys yahoo, google and ebay accounts, and working on the website. The one bit I dread is I have to learn PhP in the next month or two.
To get the job, knowing what was involved, I printed out and gave my boss the manual on how to use Ebay, though I think he knew a bit of it already.
I chose IT because I can grasp IT quickly, although I hate programming. Generally when I have to program something I look at an example and figure out what does what and then copy it.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 11:53 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't ever get into tech support...
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 12:02 PM

Major General

Randallw is on a distinguished road

Bit of an addendum. Back in about 98 I nearly got a job reprogramming computers to avoid Y2K. Didn't get it, not from lack of Knowledge I was told but because of my inability to deal with people at the time, seeing as how I would have had to deal with clients. No great loss, the whole thing was some sort of government scheme and the whole thing collpased. If I had got the job I would have ended up losing it anyway before long.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 03:22 PM

Major

rdouglass is on a distinguished road

I've been 'doing' IT for over 25 years now. I currently do ASP and ASP.NET development specializing in SQL Server & mySQL connectivity issues for web site 'backends'. Make about $30/hr during my day job but more in the eve's when I am doing my own freelance work.

I began my IT career for the first 9 years as a Technician. Contrary to Fyron's suggestion, it is a good 'in' IMO and it's almost a 'prerequisite' if you really want to understand the IT world from a user's perspective. Personally, I don't care how much studying you do or how many books you read, you'll never understand IT as well as when you learn it from the 'trenches'.

Having said that, if you get into this business aspiring to be a tech or work a help desk, you probably will not find this career very rewarding.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 04:12 PM

Captain

AgentZero is on a distinguished road

Thanks folks, keep it coming!

Quote:
Ed Kolis said:

Well, hope that information has been helpful for you... wait a second, you're trying to make up your mind what sort of job you want a degree in? I thought you were older... don't tell me you're in high school too!
No, I finished highschool a good few years back, did one year of university, hated it, moved to Ireland and spent six years working at the sort of jobs you get when with only a high school education, realized it was worse than university, and moved back home to decide what I want to do next.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 04:29 PM

General

Ed Kolis is on a distinguished road

Aw, man... glad you finally figured out that you want to go to school though!
Old June 22nd, 2006, 08:41 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
rdouglass said:
Personally, I don't care how much studying you do or how many books you read, you'll never understand IT as well as when you learn it from the 'trenches'.
Doing tech support for friends and family is just as good an experience for this, I think.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 09:01 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

Just remember, despite how it works with friends and family, you can't smack a client upside the head when he does something boneheaded.