Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old February 27th, 2009, 07:10 PM

Private

Travis7401 is on a distinguished road
Default Thank You!

Hello, I am a long time fan of the Steel Panthers game and just recently found this version of my old favorite. I tried the SPWAW version a couple of years ago, but gave up on it, because it just never "felt right" (maybe due to being based on the SP3 engine, which I never liked). I had pretty much given up on the game, as my original version was "buggy" and barely playable on dos emulators.

WinSPWW2, however, is a dream come true! It "feels" like the original with a phenomenal level of added detail/realism. The few gripes I had about the original have been completely addressed, along with quite a few added conveniences that I would have never thought of. My favorite changes are the artillery, scouting, and long campaign/random battle portions of the game.

It took me quite a few games of getting my rear handed to me by the new AI to shake the rust off and adjust to the new play balance. I started off with a little A.D.D, and played portions of many scenarios and random battles throughout the war before finally settling into the Paratroopers in the Pacific campaign. I think I am about 3/4 of the way through it, based on my peek at the number of scenarios in the campaign editor. It has been a really interesting experience, as I had previously been a tank first kind of guy. Very well designed and enjoyable!

I am also looking forward to a jump into scenario/campaign editing. I enjoyed creating scenarios on the original, and it appears that there are a lot more tools at my disposal now! I will probably start a thread about my possible plans in the appropriate section in the next couple of days.

Just briefly, I am thinking about starting with a really small scale campaign based around the Alamo Scouts and including the 6th Ranger Battalion in the Philippines. The campaign will include the Raid at Cabanatuan, which liberated over 500 POW's. My great uncle was a team leader for one of the Alamo Scout teams that participated in that mission, so it definitely has my interest! I would certainly appreciate any scenario/campaign design advice from those with experience!

Once again, thanks for all of the hard work that went into improving and keeping this great game alive! I am looking forward to discussions with fellow SP enthusiasts!
Old February 27th, 2009, 08:23 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,443 Times in 2,699 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Thank You!

We're glad you like the game it and welcome to the forum. You may enjoy poking around the map editor to see how that can build maps for you and you might want to try MBT as well.

Don

Last edited by DRG; February 27th, 2009 at 08:37 PM..
Old February 28th, 2009, 03:33 AM

Major

Double_Deuce is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis7401 View Post
Just briefly, I am thinking about starting with a really small scale campaign based around the Alamo Scouts and including the 6th Ranger Battalion in the Philippines. The campaign will include the Raid at Cabanatuan, which liberated over 500 POW's. My great uncle was a team leader for one of the Alamo Scout teams that participated in that mission, so it definitely has my interest! I would certainly appreciate any scenario/campaign design advice from those with experience!
If you have MS Excel and MS Access I have a few tools that may help organize your data for creating campaigns. Let me know.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 11:06 PM

First Lieutenant

PanzerBob is on a distinguished road
Medal Re: Thank You!

Welcome Back, I know the feeling SPWaW was driving me nuts since I like big games. winSPWWII was a breath of the foul stench of battle once I started into it, and never as of yet a crash!!!

Yes can't really thank these guys enough!!

Bob out

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Heinz Guderian, General der Panzertruppe