.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old October 20th, 2012, 04:18 AM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MoI - Memories of Ice, EA non newb game - Ongoing

Done.

Yeah, I got lucky I guess. And I know, absolutely know, that my *** is next in line for kicking
Old October 27th, 2012, 02:35 PM

General

Executor has notified me he can't cont. playing
He suggests either conceding the game to me or finding a sub for him.

I asked Catquiet to vote which option he prefers. His vote is to concede the game to me.

So, it looks like the decision by the three active major powers is to concede the game.

I suggest caution here. There's no rush to close the game yet. Let's wait a day or two and see if someone has a change of heart or mind. Only if nothing changes then we can call this game over.
Old October 27th, 2012, 05:58 PM

Major General

Executor is on a distinguished road

Sorry for not answering WL, some relatives are staying over with me for the annual book fair. I'll make a throughout post tomorrow to answer anything, especially why I'm dropping out.
Old October 29th, 2012, 05:04 AM

Major General

Executor is on a distinguished road

Okay, finally,
Here's my original PM to WL, I think it explains everything;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
Hello WL,
Would it be a terribly dick-y move if I backed out of the game at this point?
I would be very glad to proclaim you the winner or at the very least try to find a sub for me.

I don't think I have the stomach for MM intensive and very time consuming games any more. The last YARG game is still weighing down on me even though the new one is about to end soon.

In any case, I wouldn't mind playing it out if I had little or no actual chance of winning, the problem is I can actually win this and therefor need to put a much bigger effort in the game, and especially for the rest of the players too, you and Lanka.

Lately, the game has been becoming a chore instead of something I come home to relax to and have fun. Last turn I decided to bite a stale as I didn't have the energy to finish the turn at all, even with your flexible hosting schedule.
Might have something to do with the fact I've fought most nation in the game and now I seem to be facing an organized Lanka/C'tis alliance (nice touch on the UD this/last turn btw, didn't realize why Lanka put down the only thing keeping me from attacking him until I saw the turn a few hours ago.).

I don't like when people drop out or turn AI, especially now when it seems I suffered some serious loses for the first time, so I realize how ****ty a thing this is to do. I was nearly in the same situation at the end of last YARG when I *****ed at Rdonj how I wanted to drop out just a few turns before I won, but I managed to bite my tongue and play the game out. Not sure I can do the same here.

I find myself waiting as long as I can to actually start playing the turn, and I can't do it. It's fun playing against all players, one of the reasons I told Lanka several time to ignore the alliance we made and attack me with the rest if wanted to, but it's also exhausting.

What bothers me is that I'm doing what I hate when others do and I may very well be denying you the chance to kill me... legitimately? I guess..?

Please let me know what you think.
Pangaeas had two stales so I can try to find a sub still, not too much damage done. Even with Utter Dark cast last turn to negate my GoNB Pangaea is probably the top nation still. But I really don't think anyone would be masochistic enough to dive into this position now.
I've fought several nations in this game, 5 out of 7 to be precise, and it's been fun most of the time, esspecailly against Ulm, however the game has turned into a dreadful obligation for me, and frankly I don't care about winning games any more and putting in the numerous hours to do so for a game I'm not enjoying any more.
My vote is to proclaim winner the next best nation, that being C'tis/WL. So I guess you can call it WL seeing how it's really only you, Lanka and me left (not counting the remnants of Ulm).
Old October 30th, 2012, 03:56 AM

General

Executor, I agree w/ your analysis. Catquiet thinks the same, that subbing into your position will be very difficult.
Pan does indeed have a good chance of winning but the effort to get there is insane.
I personally was looking fwd to having an epic, mega scale late game war w/ you but I also can't frankly say there's not part of me happy that the game ends instead of dragging on an on for months. That way a new exciting game can begin

So guys, it looks like this one is settled by consensus and the victory will go to Ctis by concession.

Thank you all for a suberb game. This game was rife w/ conflict and wars and to make it here one had to climb a pile of bodies.
Great game all. See you, hopefully, in the next game - which I plan to be balanced mod nations themed.
The Following User Says Thank You to WraithLord For This Useful Post:
Old October 30th, 2012, 04:26 PM

General

Default Re: MoI - Memories of Ice, EA non newb game - WL Ctis wins

A random assortment of notes & impressions I have from this game:
  • My build:
    ShadowFang, the God above All, God of Gods, Symbol of Unchallenged Victory, He Who Is at the Center
    C'tis, Early Era
    Manticore (Body 462, 155 hits)
    No magic
    Dominion 10
    Scales: Order 3 Heat 3 Growth 3 Misfortune 2 Magic 1
    Awake
  • I was happy w/ my choice until Mictlan's armies w/ D9 bless gave him all possible afflictions and more
  • After which we made peace
  • And then war once I realized expansion is not possible and the either Ctis or Mictlan can take our half of half of the world
  • Long and difficult war w/ Mictlan
  • Pan getting ever stronger
  • Fabulous to watch Pan+Lanka vs. Ulm war
  • Then Lanka and Ulm sign a peace agreement
  • Pan overrunning Niefel much faster than I expected
  • Finally getting to actual war w/ Pan. Was the best part of the game for me.
  • Not thinking even for one moment that I have a chance to win. Seriously, most of the time I was feeling like the underdog.
  • And finally, you got to love EA Ctis. It's dripping w/ flavor. Have excellent pros and crippling cons and really need attention to details and great care in order to thrive.