.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old May 5th, 2010, 04:27 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Let’s all take a deep breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeff View Post
I'm still not sure why a temp ban isn't the right step, even when "they fire off in your face".
Maybe they had a bad day. Maybe they were drunk at the time. A temp ban lets the situation cool off and lets them come back and behave if they want to.
Of course, maybe they're just jerks and the ban will wear off and they'll start back up. Then they've been given the chance and you hit them with the big hammer.
As for someone asking for a permanent ban, give them a temporary one. They don't have to come back.
That seems to be the usual way to handle things on forums that I have experienced so far, yes.

I can see that Shrapnel Games strive to keep the forums calm and that Annette has thick skin, but if somebody is suddenly axed without any prior indication then it doesn't look like that to others.
Emergency comic relief
Old May 5th, 2010, 04:29 PM

Second Lieutenant

TwoBits is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
But if you approach someone on one violation, and they fire off in your face, then it has to step up.
Not doing so would be for what? Because it might piss off some people in the forum?
Gandalf, dang, that's why you shut them down with a temporary ban - they cant "fire off in our face". You don't have to hear them rant about Nazis and such. Not until they've suffered (and at this point, for the good of Shrapnel's image, and the general community well being, it should be made public somewhere) a temporary ban of some sort.

If they come back after that ban, still spitting venom, well there you go - they asked for it, I mean really, not an innuendo "they asked for it", but a fully public, demonstrably to all, asking for it.

If Trumenator or Frozen Lama had been publicly warned (lets just forget about the other two at this point) and kept out of the forums for some period of time, but then came back blazing away with piss and vinegar, I would say "let em' rot!".

But the way they were canned, I don't like it. I don't like it enough to make a more or less lurker like me get all upset enough about it to spend an evening posting about it.

Well, I'll get busy with real life soon enough, that or my wife will yell at me for wasting time while bombs go off in NY, oil destroys Mardi-Gras, and Greeks riot in the streets, etc., etc... And then Shrapnel wont have to worry about me so much.

But I still wont like it, I just wont post so much.
Old May 5th, 2010, 04:30 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
Actually it was more like he was being delivered to jail for a minor infraction, and decided to jump the guard who shot him in the head
If by jumping the guard, you mean casually letting the guard know that you really don't mind being in jail, because they have decent food there.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old May 5th, 2010, 06:33 PM

Second Lieutenant

krpeters is on a distinguished road

Possibly OT, but possibly relevant:

Has anyone from IllWinter had anything to say on this yet? Because this isn't just about a Shrapnel Games product; IllWinter has a stake in this community too.
Old May 5th, 2010, 06:49 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by krpeters View Post
Possibly OT, but possibly relevant:

Has anyone from IllWinter had anything to say on this yet?
Yes. But, like most of this, not publicly.
Old May 5th, 2010, 06:56 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

I certainly hope no one has been bugging illwinter over this matter. It really has nothing to do with them, and there's no reason for them to come out in support of any side or position. Personally I don't think they need to take a position on it.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old May 5th, 2010, 07:00 PM

Major

Tim Brooks is on a distinguished road

I want to make this perfectly clear to all. Illwinter was not involved in this decision on any level. We have intentionally not talked with them, before, during, or after this decision.

Regards,
Old May 5th, 2010, 07:24 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Sorry. Didnt mean to give such an impression. Only that they are aware so no one needs to feel the need to contact them.
They do have social contacts and forums outside of this.

Last edited by Gandalf Parker; May 5th, 2010 at 07:33 PM..
Old May 5th, 2010, 07:43 PM

Corporal

zlefin is on a distinguished road

and blow down the little piggy's house! wait, someone arleady did? who? oh well, nevermind then.
Old May 5th, 2010, 08:37 PM

Private

Sicaire is on a distinguished road

@ Tim brooks, Annette and other intrusive moderators/admin

i just cant understand how any moderator could ever possibly felt like he would achieve something even remotely beneficial to the community by banning those fellows.

we want our modders back.

moderators, please keep spam and illegal stuff like piracy and the like out and - please - just - dont - ever - get - involved for anyhting more than that because you are not bringing any value to this game and in this recent case you actually destroyed value.

i am not (yet) a contributor (except through the fact that I brought more than a couple of my friends to buy this game) to these forums, but i dont care if i read anyhting harsh cause you know this is just a forum and i can just skip those posts i dont want to read.

but i want to find mods because they bring me value.

it might even be that some day I will make my own mods or maps and post them here because fellow modders will have inspired me and helped me do so.

you moderators wont ever do that.

so please, keep out, just keep the thing basically functional.

those are not your forums, those are your customers' forums because WE make all this possible by buying the games. you are just here to maintain the whole thing working. i dont want to be harsh but stick to your professionnal tasks and dont get personal or worse, dont try to show us how to behave.

we'll handle the rest.

thanks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sicaire For This Useful Post: