.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old July 16th, 2010, 03:20 PM

Second Lieutenant

Rytek is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dystopia - new poor game (Running)

Ok, I hope you dont take this as criticism and view it as pointers on how to improve your game but I would like to point out a few things to you:

Almost everyone in this game had luck3, magic3 scales. Your supposed gem advantage due to scales wouldnt have happened.

At some point, you need to realize you have enough research and start using your mages. When I look at the research charts, your research just keeps going up and up and up. Now look at mine, right at the point of the turn where my research goes flat line. That turn I used every mage I had to fight at either TC or fight Jotuns invading army. After that my research stays much lower during the middle of the game. -- I am using my mages to fight. My Warden thugs had flying mages following them casting ethereal, luck, protection, etc. My armies had mages casting buff and evocations.

You have recruitable flying level 3 priests. Holy cow I cant imagine how you had trouble with Mandrogas. You had well of misery up for a long time. summon some ghosts led by a wraith, in 4 turns you have 2 groups capable of stealthily swimming right in to my area!

In any case, I didnt realize Pangea gave you so much trouble. Pangea played a bigger roll in Kingmaker than I realized.
Old July 16th, 2010, 04:12 PM

Corporal

zlefin is on a distinguished road

that many peoplep had magic 3? huh, wasn't expecting that.
As to mages, i kept doing research cuz i needed ot research more things. Keep in mind, as mictlan, nearly all of my mages were the ?1 kind, so they don't tend to do a whole lot in combat.
and some of the others were busy forging important fhingts for my thugs/scs.
I ahd some ghosts, but the ghost life drain attack CANNOT harm lifeless, which the manikin seem to be for some reason.
I do think i'd beat pan in time; but armies of chaff with manikins aren't THAT easy. and i didn't have the right paths to get some of the better coutners until later (like poison golems).
given the position i was in, my only real hope fo a victory for quite awhile has been to get some scs, and for those scs to manage to beat stuff up.
banish, at long ranges, isn't that accurate. and while some of the manikin have low mr, many have 13+; and my armies were composed mostly of undead themselves, which cuts down on the usefulness of banish.
i could kill pan's raiding armies well enoguh once i pinned them down, but pan has a LOT of troops ya know. and some of my earlier army compositions failed.
if the game had lasted 12 more months maybe i woulda cut thru a portion of pan.
i'm not sure how many spawners he has, but i imagine he's spawning 50+ manikin a turn.
i'm happy with how i did, i lived. and if the game had gone on longer, i mighta done well.
Old July 17th, 2010, 04:21 AM

General

Zeldor is on a distinguished road

Huh, you managed to get to conj9 and const9, but well, you, with communion mages, high A mages, did not think about getting stuff like Wrathful Skies vs those Pan hordes of chaff? Hey, you could even get master enslave or just normal enslave spam...

You totally wasted all your research and possibilities.

LA Agartha guide
Old July 21st, 2010, 01:55 AM

Sergeant

LumenPlacidum is on a distinguished road

Heh, the hordes of chaff were really exactly that. Was getting the pans ready for some major charm-spamming and all. I think I was about to obliterate the army of wights as the game ended, and your lich had Astral 1, whereas I had free event-spawned astral mages. I wasn't too worried about him, even with all his fancy artifacts. Unless, of course, you let him die outside of your dominion so losing the astral path and his primary weakness. Then, I'd have had some serious issues.

It's true that your poison golem killed a large force of chaff. Good earth magic gave me a response to them, though. I just never had the opportunity to deploy it.

Wrathful Skies, Master Enslave, or some other battlefield damage spell would have caused me the most trouble.

Was awesome to see how shishis did against tarts.