This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old October 6th, 2000, 06:57 PM

Second Lieutenant

Jubala is on a distinguished road
Default Re: And The AI is ???

I do the same thing but the other way around to give the AI's a chance. Sometimes I get some really interesting games this way.

[This message has been edited by Jubala (edited 06 October 2000).]
Old October 7th, 2000, 07:01 PM

Major General

Taqwus is on a distinguished road

[0.56]

Heh. I might as well have done that for my current game. Instead of my usual beserk fighting races, I opted for a stranger combo using Time, Psychic, Advanced Propulsion, -50% ground combat, +20% research, +20% cunning, and minor maintenance/production/reproduction bonuses.

Interesting opening, as well -- war with the Drushocka almost immediately; we even shared a system from the get-go.

The points on Time were basically wasted, as the two weapons granted seem rather broken -- they usually *repair* the enemy ship (They won't repair destroyed components, but the total damage taken drops almost to nothing...), so for instance 4 CAs with a speed advantage and loaded to the gills with Time weapons will NOT kill an unarmed colony ship. They may immobilize it, but they won't kill it apparently... so that was quite a few points that were misspent. Oops.

On the bright side, two enemies have surrendered to me (at least three to go, at least two of which have allied), and the others are terrified enough of me that I can make outrageous demands like 10 planets + 20 ships + 10 tech levels and they agree. And I've enough intel to either rob 'em blind every turn, or, say, plant lots of ship bombs...

------------------
-- The thing that goes bump in the night
Old October 9th, 2000, 05:00 PM

Captain

dmm is on a distinguished road

quote:
Originally posted by Taqwus:
[0.56]
The points on Time were basically wasted, as the two weapons granted seem rather broken -- they usually *repair* the enemy ship (They won't repair destroyed components, but the total damage taken drops almost to nothing...), so for instance 4 CAs with a speed advantage and loaded to the gills with Time weapons will NOT kill an unarmed colony ship. They may immobilize it, but they won't kill it apparently... so that was quite a few points that were misspent. Oops.

That's strange. I haven't had that problem at all. Playing a game right now with Time weapons, and they're awesome, totally devastating the opponents. (Plus, by this point, I've out-researched my opponents to death. I just simulated 3 of my LCs each armed with 6 Large-Mount Time Distortion Burst V, Sensors II, 3 Armor III, and +1 engines against 18 of my opponents' best destroyers armed with pitiful Antiproton Beam III, and I win every time, even in strategic mode.) Maybe you have your fleet strategy set to not hurt colony ships and you're doing strategic combat??
Old October 9th, 2000, 05:49 PM

First Lieutenant

Cyrien is on a distinguished road

I have also not had any problems with Time Distortion tech. It is also one of my favs. Set that sucker up with Chrystaline and it kicks ***. Skip armor and 4x damage to shields along with chrystaline armor. I have never had problems with it. Even solo time tech is superb.
Old October 9th, 2000, 07:38 PM

Major General

Taqwus is on a distinguished road

Did some more checking. One of the two Time weapons seemed to operate normally, but the other one (the one with longer range that fires every turn, IIRC) did the repair work. I usually placed 'em in that order, and the second one usually undid whatever damage the first one managed. Odd. In

That's in tactical, full manual control, as well as in strategic w/ Optimal Firing Range set. And my ships never ignore noncombatants. ;-)

------------------
-- The thing that goes bump in the night
Old October 13th, 2000, 01:48 AM

Sergeant

Rambie is on a distinguished road

There was bug that had some weapons repair your target. It's been fixed.

Rambie
Old October 13th, 2000, 04:21 AM

Major General

Psitticine is on a distinguished road

"Private, for the Last time, stop bLasting our enemies with the Temporal Regression Field! I know you like to watch the smoke suck back into their hull breaches, but it makes it hard to win the battle!"