.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old August 24th, 2004, 05:52 PM

Major

Morkilus is on a distinguished road
Default PBEM site??

Admitting I haven't spent much time on the other forums nor IRC, I was wondering where some might gather for PBEM games. I am quite green both SP and MP but would like the opportunity to join a once-per-day game to see what it's like, preferably with 10 or so players. I can post my turn late Mountain time.

[img]/threads/images/Graemlins/icon40.gif[/img]
Old August 24th, 2004, 09:02 PM

First Lieutenant

Thufir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: PBEM site??

Quote:
Morkilus said:
Admitting I haven't spent much time on the other forums nor IRC, I was wondering where some might gather for PBEM games. I am quite green both SP and MP but would like the opportunity to join a once-per-day game to see what it's like, preferably with 10 or so players. I can post my turn late Mountain time.

[img]/threads/images/Graemlins/icon40.gif[/img]

This is the place! I think the convention is supposed to be that threads announcing games start out with "MP Game ...", but there are variations on that theme. Most people are not actually playing PBEM, but instead are using a server to host the turns. But due to Dom2's simulataneous turn resolution, it works out just the same from a player's point of view. And submitting turns once per day is the typical convention, although things often go faster early in the game and slower in the end game.

Many of the games played here are done using a server provided by one of our forum members (Esben Mosehansen), here's the thread where he announced it:
http://www.shrapnelcommunity.com/thr...b=5&o=&fpart=1

And here's the URL for the server (which you may want to register on):
https://www.mosehansen.dk/cgi-bin/dom2.pl

Here's a thread with a game that has been announced, but not filled:
http://www.shrapnelcommunity.com/thr...b=5&o=&fpart=1

That game in particular is not restricted to newbies, but I think it'll have at least a few newbies in it (as a newbie myself, I'm always looking for that in a game )

Good Luck!

Thufir
Old August 24th, 2004, 10:21 PM

Major

Morkilus is on a distinguished road

Thanks!! You've been a great help. Friendly people around here! I'm glad to see the Battlenet mentality isn't entirely ubiquitous.
Old August 25th, 2004, 12:51 AM

Second Lieutenant

Sheap is on a distinguished road

The average age here is about double that on battle.net so that helps a little

I recommend playing in single player, getting a good handle on your nation of choice, and then joining a newbies game. They start from time to time. In a mixed game, you'll likely get clobbered unless you have lots of experience in multiplayer turn-based strategy, and dom2 takes so much time to play that its really better to play with people of similar skill. But even the veterans are generally pretty helpful and friendly.

Of course, ir r00lz pwn u. Or something.
Old August 25th, 2004, 08:19 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

tinkthank is on a distinguished road

Sheap is right, if you want to win, but I'd say: just jump right in! Who cares if you get clobbered! And really: you wont. Newbies have a good chance of whipping the pants off anyone with novel strategies that dont come from some cookie-cutter strategy guide. I much prefer to play with newbies, well maybe because I am a newbie myself. Just join right in! I have absolutely no time right now, since I cant even really get all my turns on my own MPs in, but maybe soon I will have some and we can get a pbem going....