.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old December 2nd, 2008, 06:04 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default MORE Chaos

OK I got distracted in yet another direction. I know that I have many unfinished projects. But I feel that if I annotate them here maybe someone will snatch them off my workload and finish it.

This happened while playing with the MegaVanilla project to create a mod that allows everyone to play with the same nation.
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=41415

Which was itself a change of direction while working on the SemiRandom AI project.
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=41376
which creates a mod of a nation with semi-random choices on units, gods, and starting sites.

Then I remembered the Monster Scenario Project
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=39304
which was supposed to incorporate the ability of a server to change the mod in mid-game.

SOOOooooooo.......
anyway, now we are down to the new random hacker thought. I always meant to explore more what parts of the mod are important on the player side vs which parts are only important on the server hosting side.

So far, here are my findings. If the player loads a stub.dm such as this..
Code:
#modname "stub file"
#icon "../guihead.tga"
#description "stub file to be replaced later"
and the server uses a stub.dm which includes a nation then it DOES work. But creating new monsters and magic sites etc can cause a problem. And for some reason when that nations castle is invaded the game crashes. Possible for not being told which castle to display to the player.

On the other hand. If the players stub file contains minimal nation info then it works much better. Something like this..
Code:
#modname "stub file"
#icon "../guihead.tga"
#description "stub file to be replaced later"

#selectnation 79
#name "Szurprise"
#epithet "Born of Chaos"
#era 1
#end
then the server can add almost anything to that nation. A players stub.dm which creates basic info for nations 72-95 would only have to exist in the players mod directory. It would never have to be enabled.

On my server I could create a dozen games called MC_game-name and each one could have 3 randomly created nations with new gods, a semi-logical batch of units, randomly starter sites, starter armies, defense units, etc. The player would only need the one stub.dm in their mod directory and each MC game they play would have a new batch of nations thrown in. The 79 nation would always be named Szurprise but other than that it would be different each time. And the player would have no way to know ahead of time without scouting it out for themselves.

In my initial tests Ive decided that completely random such as I use in the Chaos games on my server
http://game.dom3minions.com/bin/Chaos_chk.cgi
is too insane. Some of the units that can be granted as recruitable are high level summons and have no gold costs with 1 resource cost. I dont want to fight that!

So now Im thinking that I need to go SemiRand much as Ballbarian did with my other projects. I can create lists of wild but acceptable troops, commanders, gods, mages, clerics, magic sites, etc. Then randomly select from those lists. Or maybe logical lists with seperate lists for throwing in one or two wilder ones in each nation. Heavy use of Edi's wonderful database. I have to do some more experimentation to figure out the limits of what can be done with this. Unfortunately it involves alot of programming and modding. Both of which I am a real novice at.

Im still debating how "impossible" this is (its a computer, nothing is impossible but some things are not worth the effort it takes to get it working). So if anyone else wants to tackle this...
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)

Last edited by Gandalf Parker; December 2nd, 2008 at 06:08 PM..
Old December 2nd, 2008, 06:07 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MORE Chaos

This is one fancy bug report.
Emergency comic relief
Old December 2nd, 2008, 06:23 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MORE Chaos

heehee. Maybe. Johan has in the past fixed some things after I started having fun with it. I dont know how many of my "bug reports" in the beta group started out as "I can have fun with this!" only to turn out as "aww you fixed it".

I should mention that I have made some effort to test things the other direction. What a player can change in their copy of the mod to alter the game on a server. Im happy to say that while I could get the game to seem to do interesting things, it was all tossed when it got sent to the host.

This is also different than the mid-game mod-change project which might allow for things like in-game messages, events, and mercs. This is mostly involving the things that the host relies on the mod file information while it initially creates the game and the fatherland file.

Last edited by Gandalf Parker; December 2nd, 2008 at 06:32 PM..