This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old September 27th, 2009, 02:15 PM

Private

Souljah is on a distinguished road

Hi! I'm brand new on the forum, and first of all, I want to thx for this ( badly disguised expletive deleted )awesome game. Since I got it, I only play whit this.

I was thinking, what could make the gameplay more and more exciting.

What about medical units? They could decrease the amount of damage for the infantry units

There should be bridge building and mechanical repair by engenier units

Airunits could do some dogfight (they could be just like AA units)

and one importent thing... I wish there would be a feature, just like in Close Combat (to see all members of a unit, with names) It makes me happy to see that Private Ryen survived the whole war in onepiece

I guess most of my ideas were told you, but I hope you can think about it. It could be in the next patch, if you have that in mind.

Can I find here some enemys for teambattle (2on2)?

Last edited by DRG; September 27th, 2009 at 07:59 PM..
Old September 27th, 2009, 07:52 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,482 Times in 2,710 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: some ideas

Congratulations, you're the first person on this forum to catch an infraction on his first post. DO NOT do it again.

"Medical" units in a game of this scale patch people up just enough to send them to the rear. Dead or alive "Casualties" are "Casualties". If an man is wounded seriously enough to generate a "casualty" report no medic is going to change that

Neither bridge building nor mechanical repair belong in a game of this scale and timespan as we have said more than a few times in the past

Air units cannot dogfight because the code is not set up to allow both enemy and friendly aircraft on the map at the same time in the same way only one aircraft is ever on the map at the same time and that is not going to change

The reason this game doesn't name individual soldiers like Close Combat is because it operates at the unit level NOT the individual soldier level. If you want that kind of game, play Close Combat

Don
Old September 28th, 2009, 02:41 AM

Corporal

Epoletov___SPR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Air units cannot dogfight because the code is not set up to allow both enemy and friendly aircraft on the map at the same time in the same way only one aircraft is ever on the map at the same time and that is not going to change
Probably it would be possible to make like counterbattery fire.

After flight enemy airunits, it is destroyed fighters, available in bombardment menu.
Old September 28th, 2009, 12:19 PM

First Lieutenant

iCaMpWiThAWP is on a distinguished road

That would create the need for a new class, something like "fighter" wich can dogfight, or else we would have light bombers doing this
Old September 28th, 2009, 01:43 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,482 Times in 2,710 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCaMpWiThAWP View Post
That would create the need for a new class, something like "fighter" wich can dogfight, or else we would have light bombers doing this

True enough, fighter bombers loaded with ordinance do not dogfight so it would have to be restricted to aircraft with guns and cannon only under a certain size and it would also require an entire re-write of a large chunk of code for something neither Andy nor I have any interest in not only from a personal standpoint but also from a game design standpoint.

The existing game engine is already stretched far more than anyone thought possible 10 years ago and we have already had to deal with bugs that crop up because of it so anything we add from here on will have to be not only something very useful to the game but also something that does not impact a lot of other code and most importantly, something we think worthwhile.

This just doesn't qualify

Don
Old September 28th, 2009, 08:59 PM

First Lieutenant

What about something like a die roll wich gives the chance for A/C to be shot down?fighters circling around battle areas("on call") loaded with bombs would jettison ordnance and engage enemy fighters if in danger(p47 is a nice example for this role)
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:56 AM

Sergeant

PatG is on a distinguished road

Sorry but I can't see your average battalion commander ringing up the local airbase and saying "Give me 3 flights of fighter bombers and cover them with two flights of fighters".

More like the Battalion CO says to his air force liaison - "We need air support and it has to come through!!!" The liaison talks to his boss who then looks at his list of available AC and orders up two flights of FB and seeing that the ground pounders are desperate, reluctantly pulls a couple of fighters off CAP leaving a hole elsewhere and adds them to the strike force. The grunts never see the fighters, just the FBs rolling in.

If you want a realistic change to air support:

Outside of designed scenarios, the player should only be able to pay for unspecified "air support" with the exact composition left to the AI. Whatever comes through is assumed to have had enough fighter cover to make it to the battle area unmolested - just as it works now.
Old September 29th, 2009, 03:11 PM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatG View Post
Sorry but I can't see your average battalion commander ringing up the local airbase and saying "Give me 3 flights of fighter bombers and cover them with two flights of fighters".
That's not exactly what i meant, but your post has good arguments, btw by 'unspecified' you mean random? is that possible?
Old September 29th, 2009, 03:56 PM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatG View Post
If you want a realistic change to air support:

Outside of designed scenarios, the player should only be able to pay for unspecified "air support" with the exact composition left to the AI. Whatever comes through is assumed to have had enough fighter cover to make it to the battle area unmolested - just as it works now.
Hi Pat,

Interesting, but I think a Commanding Officer, or FOO, would have at least requested the type of air support he wanted.

For example, if he wanted a stone bridge KO'd, that would be very relevant to the type of aircraft/ordinance requested. No good sending a whole squadron of rocket laden aircraft, it's not going to help.

As for being able to choose specific aircraft in SP, this is consistent with being able to choose specific vehicles and tanks.

I guess we could let the AI choose our battalion AND our aircraft, if we wanted to be more realistic.

cheers,
Cross
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:43 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

It would be quite good in a campaign if you could toggle support points to the AI idealy being allowed to spend a few first if you want some fortifications ATGs or whatever. But then just let it decide what HQ has available in the way of arty & air dependant on engagement type. Meetings high chance 120s or smaller assaults increased chance of big stuff dedicated planes. For meetings it could even decide you are out of luck no gun available on that pass minus 200 points. Its not a balance problem as the other side wont get the points either.